ULTRON for Pepakura ** 04/11 paper unfold added!**

Re: ULTRON for Pepakura ** 4/5 FOREARM ADDED TO FIRST POST **

Well, got that done a lot sooner than I expected:

Separated helmet detail OBJs

This download includes a zip of the OBJs for helmet ear details, including the upper antenna mount, lower antenna mount, and the antenna split into two smaller pieces. Left and right sides of all parts are included (although technically the antennas are symmetrical). Hope this works :)

Hey, this is such a great thread. Don't worry you still have subscribers :ninja

-Seth

Yes, yes it is :) ! A Newbie here to let you know this thread was main reason I signed up, so....so sweet. Working on a full body Hank Pym when I stumbled upon here to my happy surprise. Just may have to build his 'little boy' now too and add a "worlds greatest dad" mug into my Pym build ;)

Sweet guys, thanks for supporting. I have a Pym project right now, just as a challenge, but there are a couple of people on here doing some amazing ant man work as well. I gave Ultron another identity, but that's the beauty of Ultron; Ultron can look like anything. The more I look at it, the more I really don't like it. I'm sure I'm biased (been modeling the District 9 exo-suit for two months now) but I want Ultron either old school Iron man-looking, or suitable to make Stark's suits look like stepping stones. I have not done that (at all). I have a commission I'm wrapping up, plus my Sunday-funday D9 work, but msleeper got me thinking, and Ultron's creeping in my ear so I may have to start again.
Thanks again guys for supporting, it means a lot.

PS- and Seth, from your suggestion, he already free-handed that helmet, so I think I'm off the hook.... Maybe... :)

If you're doing an Ant-Man helmet then that will be really awesome to see. I like Redgoat 's work but I won't ever complain about having options!

Last edited by a moderator:

I have all my hopes on Redgoat, great approach, beautiful details, done the right way. I finally have Ultron in my head how I think it (he/her/monkey) should look, and I want Antman to be comparable and worthy. Problem is, if I do one, I have to do the other. Just because for me I'd have to. Never mind the D-9. And the cave suit that apparently everybody else pusses out on because it's not symmetrical, and it's the white-trash suit of the gang. If I give up on the Mark 1 for traditional modeling, I am totally up for a Pym-Ultron project, done the right way.

It's gotten to the point of us not having a Mk 1 or a Mk 5 pep that we should start a kickstarter or something to find someone willing to do them. I don't even want a Mk 1 pep, I just think it should exist for the people who do, you know?

I love Redgoat's model and I hope he gets it finished, or at least posted, relatively soon. There's only 3 months left until Dragon*Con and so I'm starting Ultron this month and hopefully Ant-Man right behind him. My friend who is wearing Ultron (and funding the project) is already buying the voice changer and he's been practicing the voice acting for it. I want to put LEDs in the mouth and have them glow when he speaks.

It's gotten to the point of us not having a Mk 1 or a Mk 5 pep that we should start a kickstarter or something to find someone willing to do them. I don't even want a Mk 1 pep, I just think it should exist for the people who do, you know?

I love Redgoat's model and I hope he gets it finished, or at least posted, relatively soon. There's only 3 months left until Dragon*Con and so I'm starting Ultron this month and hopefully Ant-Man right behind him. My friend who is wearing Ultron (and funding the project) is already buying the voice changer and he's been practicing the voice acting for it. I want to put LEDs in the mouth and have them glow when he speaks.
I'm sure you noticed how I am already, I don't like talking about what I'm working on at any given time, because I don't want people working on something I might not finish. I wanted to start the mark 5, but I knew if I said yes, some other amazingly talented modelers might have set it aside as a project assuming I would finish it. I have work done on the 5 (and the 8, and obviously a lot on the 1, among others, just with Iron Man), but I don't want to think something might get finished from me unless I know I can (and will).
The Mark 1 is my baby. I'm an engineer by heart. I appreciate the mechanics they put into that suit to make it work, not just for the schmo watching, but DOD engineering guys like my dad who would call BS on that junkpile if it didn't make sense in a real-world scenario. I can free-hand it for this coming Halloween easily, and give great instructions to reproduce it, but I really want to find a way to make it good for the pep-people, without all the guess-work.

Back to what you said, we have three people (off the top of my head) working on the mark 5, and I know two of them are more than capable of completing. As for the Mark 1, I think I'm alone. There is zero symmetry, and a lot of stuff that is better just 'found stuff' than pepped.

As for the voice activation, LEDs shielded behind transluscent styrene (or the equivalent) so it doesn't look like blinking christmas lights, SPECTACULAR. I've been helping a friend of mine with a fake neon sign setup using UV-loaded tempura paint tubes lit by blacklight. Probably pointless in a very well lit area, but I think I should trademark this setup, because at night it glows as bright as neons for a 1/5 of the price. It would work perfect for an Ultron in a low-light situation, but that won't be happening at a Con anytime soon. :)

As for the voice activation, LEDs shielded behind transluscent styrene (or the equivalent) so it doesn't look like blinking christmas lights, SPECTACULAR. I've been helping a friend of mine with a fake neon sign setup using UV-loaded tempura paint tubes lit by blacklight. Probably pointless in a very well lit area, but I think I should trademark this setup, because at night it glows as bright as neons for a 1/5 of the price. It would work perfect for an Ultron in a low-light situation, but that won't be happening at a Con anytime soon. :)

Do you know the sort of cheap plastic florescent light covers that have the refracted squared pattern on them? I am thinking about getting something like that, heating it so it bends along the curve, and putting the LEDs behind that. So the light spots wouldn't be single light points but would look like diffused emissions. I also would probably have the inner circle of lights always on, and the outer ones activate via the mic. And have all of the LEDs (and the mic input) running off of a tiny arduino to have them appear to "sparkle" rapidly.

It's all just ideas at this point, but that's the sort of thing I would like to get accomplished.

As far as low light versus full lighting, I'm not too terribly worried. Outside in the sun for the photoshoots, almost all LED lighting gets washed out. Inside the hotel it seems fine though. UV light seems to be drowned out by ambient light a lot more easily.

Am I crazy, or is there not a foam helmet file? If not then no sweat, I can make one and put it up. Could you put up a OBJ of the helmet with the ear pieces removed and I can use that to make it?

I am terrible at scaling calculations. What would be the scale for someone who is exactly 6 foot?

EDIT
I'm about to put up the ear files on the printer. Are the left and right ears totally symmetrical? I know at one point they were, but I just want to check before printing.

Last edited:

Wow I was just thinking of how cool it would be to make an Ultron costume and I stumble on this. I downloaded all the files and they seem to be easily used for a foam build. I think that's what makes going to attempt. Hopefully won't take as long as my Gears of War armor. If your going to make a foam helmet file then I'll wait for that. I don't think I want to attempt it in paper. After trying paper on a halo suit I gave up.

If you are up for it in foam, just PM me. It's a detailed helmet, and honestly you'll be happier with paper, but if you do want to stick with foam ,OK. PM, I can do that. (and for anybody else, if I foam temp it, I'll share. Duh.)

Re: ULTRON for Pepakura ** 5/9 FOAM HELMET TEMPLATE ADDED **

Just added the helmet in foam template format to the first post. I included the antenna details and posts in the template, probably better to freehand those finer details though.

may 9 helmet foam unfold.pdo

YAY!!! Ultron in foam!... oh wait, I wasn't going to make it in foam... oh well, it's still awesome! :)

-Seth

DEFINITELY, because that is what mine is, and I'd guarantee your foam one is purtier. (yep, I said purtier)

....and now I have to go change my shorts... SWWWWEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTT!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back