Trying to make a meat orb

coolguy

Hello, I'm currently working on producing a low budget movie with a friend of mine and we're hoping to include some practical effects. Specifically, we're attempting to create a meat orb that looks like it's covered in (preferably gross/hairy) human skin. We're also hoping to add some kind of mechanism to make it move up and down like it's breathing, but I'm not sure if we can pull it off. I've never done much practical effects, so I was wondering if you guys had any advice for how to go about this.

My initial plan was to coat a balloon in liquid latex, but this didn't really work all that well. My backup plan, should no other options arise, is two purchase two of these old man masks, cut off the scalps, and somehow glue them together. However, I'm not really sure how I'd even properly fuse them in a way that doesn't look strange. Could I use a lighter and melt the edges, then hold them together until they dry?

Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

You should have asked earlier. I pulled out a hairy meat orb from the bathroom sink a few days ago that probably would have worked for you. :lol:

TazMan2000

Hello, I'm currently working on producing a low budget movie with a friend of mine and we're hoping to include some practical effects. Specifically, we're attempting to create a meat orb that looks like it's covered in (preferably gross/hairy) human skin. We're also hoping to add some kind of mechanism to make it move up and down like it's breathing, but I'm not sure if we can pull it off. I've never done much practical effects, so I was wondering if you guys had any advice for how to go about this.

My initial plan was to coat a balloon in liquid latex, but this didn't really work all that well. My backup plan, should no other options arise, is two purchase two of these old man masks, cut off the scalps, and somehow glue them together. However, I'm not really sure how I'd even properly fuse them in a way that doesn't look strange. Could I use a lighter and melt the edges, then hold them together until they dry?

Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe a drawing or two of your idea and we can help.
There are good glues for silicone or rubber that you can use to fuse mask together, but if you want a ball of body parts like a dermoid tumor or a a ball of meat like Lady Gaga's meat dress. Is it all soft and floppy "meat" or is it a hodge-podge of body parts?

Probably sculpt something out of clay then cast in silicone or rubber. Just use a wig for the hair and cut to desired length. There are paints you can use to paint the silicone immediately after it cures to look more realistic

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back