Tron Legacy Costume

Hi all,

Here's an insight I want to share with those of you doing the Data Disk modifications; I found working with the dremel difficult, (never used one before) it was good for clearing out the bits of plastic inside of the disk (even that wasn't all that easy the plastic would melt into little hot sticky rivulets), but unless you have a very steady hand and some skill, it is very easy to ruin the disk with a dremel when you're trying to cut out the second C-ring and the 4 little cutouts on the edge of the disk. I ruined a couple of disks :cry before giving up on the dremel method.

But there is a solution! For those of us without zen-master dremel skills, use a Jeweler's Saw! It is very precise, you can take your time and avoid mistakes, the cutouts I was able to make with it turned out beautiful. And as a bonus you won't be dealing with molten plastic, the jewelers saw simply cuts without melting. :)

Last edited:
Re: Mister Digital's Flashback Flynn inspired civilian program

On a side note, I am running my 23" EL stip on a 2xAA inverter. It looks great in a dim environment, but I'm fining that in the daylight or in a store it still looks pink. You guys think I could beef it up to 9v or 12v to whiten it up, or is that just the effects of daylight/fluorescent light on this type of thing?

I talked to Patric at Luminousfilm today. He gave me the lowdown on the panlel operating at 280VAC/600HZ and said that even at full brightness I would still be pink in the sun and have a pink tinge indoors under most commonly used lights.

He also said that I likely wouldn't notice a huge difference from 9v to 12v. So I think I'll go with the 9v since its easier. Plus I'd rather not do the 12v as the weight/bulk is more than I want in my pocket.

I still want to power each shoe individually so maybe I'll get 3.

Bro, that is off the hook!

Thanks! Here's a mock up of the sneakers I'm considering. It's partially perforated black/white (maybe paint the sole black) What do you think?
euobv4.jpg

You're welcome, those are very cool and they match the jacket! I like the idea of painting the soles black, it's just that they're rubber, what do you plan to use that won't chip off of flexing rubber? Has to be something flexible.

You're welcome, those are very cool and they match the jacket! I like the idea of painting the soles black, it's just that they're rubber, what do you plan to use that won't chip off of flexing rubber? Has to be something flexible.
Jacquard Neopaque paint. I've painted a pair of boring white shoes with them and they've held up great with no cracks whatsoever. Just make sure you give the surface a good rubdown with strong rubbing alcohol or acetone beforehand to remove any finish that may be on it. Joann Fabrics sells it in the fabric paint aisle. Jacquard Neopaque - Highly opaque paints for fabric, leather, paper, etc.

MD, is that El tape from luminousfilm?

Cy, yes. The tape is the 1" width available from Luminousfilm. ts very easy to work with. I would definitely recommend it.

As far as the the shoes, I would just used heal and sole edge dressing, or Kiwi leather dye. I would essentially be dying the outer layer of the rubber black. I use it on worn black rubber all the time. It just takes a few more coats on white.

Honestly though, I want to light them up first and then see. I'm not going for screen accurate so I think I might actually like the way they look with the white. I'll just have to wait and see. They should be here by Friday.

Y'know, I'm still waiting for that Minority Report leather jacket from leathercult, you've had two jackets made and delivered in the same amount of time!

Starting to grumble to myself, more than usual that is.

Y'know, I'm still waiting for that Minority Report leather jacket from leathercult, you've had two jackets made and delivered in the same amount of time!

Starting to grumble to myself, more than usual that is.

Wow. Do you think it's possible to cancel? Maybe they haven't even made it yet.

He also said that I likely wouldn't notice a huge difference from 9v to 12v. So I think I'll go with the 9v since its easier. Plus I'd rather not do the 12v as the weight/bulk is more than I want in my pocket.
But the little 9V battery-powered inverter (one of which I have) can only drive "5-12 square inches of panel," which may not be enough for your needs.

Scroll down about a third of the way here.

But the little 9V battery-powered inverter (one of which I have) can only drive "5-12 square inches of panel," which may not be enough for your needs.

Scroll down about a third of the way here.

True, but I'm using 3V now (AAx2) and it looks fine. I think they are referring to running the panel at full brightness. He seemed pretty certain it would be fine. I don't need to be at 100% brightness, I just need to get a whiter look in normal indoor lighting.

True, but I'm using 3V now (AAx2) and it looks fine. I think they are referring to running the panel at full brightness. He seemed pretty certain it would be fine. I don't need to be at 100% brightness, I just need to get a whiter look in normal indoor lighting.

i read somewhere back that you can put certain white tape over the pink el tape to make it look more white when not on & add brightness to it when on. just a thought.

Sorry if this is in anyway slightly off topic, but if any of you guys want a casual Rinzler/Tron outfit for everyday, I designed a shirt and put it up for sale. Its not spectacular looking but I'm happy with how the design came out. Plus in order to keep the cost down, I set my commission at zero. If you curious what the print is, its a heatpressed foil called flex. Pretty cool. ATB Designs.

Now to being back on topic, got my undershirt in the mail, but the mesh part has nothing under it so my skin is exposed. Need to still get a white or grey compression to fill in the holes. Or maybe buy some hexagon print lycra and find someone to sew it over the mesh for me

The shoes you posted are the "fake" version of the Supra TK shoes, the real ones have more "holes" I own them....they also have an all black pair, but no holes, they are made of satin

http://cdn.itsnotforgirls.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/supra-tk- society-2010-4.jpg

Yes, I know.

But the real ones in black only come in full perforation, and with a red sole, which I don't care for. Plus I wanted one that was only partially perforated so that I could shine the toecap up, and match the jacket better. They fit my costuming needs, so I don't mind that they are knock offs. Besides, this way if I ruin them I won't feel like it was such a waste of money.

Thanks for looking out for me, though. I appreciate it.

i read somewhere back that you can put certain white tape over the pink el tape to make it look more white when not on & add brightness to it when on. just a thought.

Yes. Patrick at Luminousfilm mentioned that it is a special type of vinyl tape that is non reflective. He said they use it for car wrapping kits. He was not sure of what it was called or how to get it though. He was also pretty sure it was quite expensive.

I experimented with alternatives, but no luck yet.

Sorry if this is in anyway slightly off topic, but if any of you guys want a casual Rinzler/Tron outfit for everyday, I designed a shirt and put it up for sale. Its not spectacular looking but I'm happy with how the design came out. Plus in order to keep the cost down, I set my commission at zero. If you curious what the print is, its a heatpressed foil called flex. Pretty cool. ATB Designs.

Now to being back on topic, got my undershirt in the mail, but the mesh part has nothing under it so my skin is exposed. Need to still get a white or grey compression to fill in the holes. Or maybe buy some hexagon print lycra and find someone to sew it over the mesh for me

Oh man, the t-shirts are awesome! Such a great idea, and executed well. I'd suggest maybe having some with simply the different identity discs on the back and blank fronts. Also, some womens' items would be cool

Oh man, the t-shirts are awesome! Such a great idea, and executed well. I'd suggest maybe having some with simply the different identity discs on the back and blank fronts. Also, some womens' items would be cool
Yeah I'm working on more but the problem is I want to add more characters but they don't let you make the designs very big and with flex if they are big, the kinda make waves and fold over. But I'll put some more stuff up. Thanks

For those programs using a 12v power supply, check out this bad boy...

2njjz1i.jpg

12V 1800mA Portable Battery Pack (with charger)

Its has an integrated on/off switch, a 2.1mm plug to connect directly to your inverter, and a nice hard black housing that would allow you to mount the inverter right on it making the whole thing into one slim unit you could put on your belt or wherever you like. This one looks like the way to go. Its a bit more than the ebay one posted earlier, but it has better features, and its available here in the US to cut down on delivery time.

I bought one this afternoon. I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back