TRON '82 Tank

TheVCCco

3D print test of a screen-accurate tank from the original TRON. Although this is about 10" long, I think it'd be better slightly bigger, and definitely in anodized black aluminum, acrylic, and with composite sides...

3D_PRINT_001.jpg

Some proof-of-concept renders from the files used to print the 3D prototype:

TANK_12_HERO_v2_9.png

TANK_12_HERO_v2_3.png

TANK_12_HERO_v2_1.jpg

Wow! Any plans for the red outlines over the black areas? How would you show those in the real world?

Wow! Any plans for the red outlines over the black areas? How would you show those in the real world?
Got a couple ideas - it gets easier the bigger it gets. With vinyl stencils, kissing the edges with paint is one possibility. Another is the reverse - having it made of clear acrylic and painting everything except the edges allowing for internal lighting. Not sure about the feasibility there, plus really hung up on all the black parts being anodized. Anodizing would yield a look very similar to the shaders used on the model in the original. Almost "blued."

Got a couple ideas - it gets easier the bigger it gets. With vinyl stencils, kissing the edges with paint is one possibility. Another is the reverse - having it made of clear acrylic and painting everything except the edges allowing for internal lighting. Not sure about the feasibility there, plus really hung up on all the black parts being anodized. Anodizing would yield a look very similar to the shaders used on the model in the original. Almost "blued."
The clear idea was the first thing that came to my mind. I think the glowing effect on the edges would outweigh the cool factor of anodizing it, if done right. Both methods have merit though. Really great work!

With anodizing and then masking, you could use UV-reactive red paint for the lines, so in normal light it looks a little brighter than typical red, but under blacklight it would truly glow.

Love this.
Always had the idea to make the light cycle from the original and have it on like 10" x 10" or so board, where its making the wall behind it, which would be like a blue or orange transparent color, and do it where led lights light it up.
Like this....
92610-neptune-blue-fluorescent-perspex-sheet-costumized-sheets-panel.jpg

...and this type of thing.....but, only like an inch tall, but not just a straight line
273449005_892746894739102_2149974263025191818_n.png

So it would look something like this....this being a super fast photoshop idea thrown together.
So using an idea like this would be really cool, as I've never gotten around to figuring it out, as I have way to many projects going on anyways.
tronidea.jpg

And as Astyanax was saying about using a black light. Neon and glow in the dark paints are whats going to work best.
Back in 2009, I helped make this giant set for a church play which was suppose to be coral under the ocean. Took nearly a year to make it all actually.
Painted all with neon and glow in the dark paints, and made from stryofoam. With the normal lights on, didn't look so great, but lights off and black lights on, that thing was super bright and looked really awesome. Unfortunately, I only have low res video stills from the final product.
So using this, or the clear plastic/led way, or a mix or both, or whatever will surely give some great results.
Can't wait to see how they all turn out.
neonglowinthedark.jpg

For the lightcycle display, I had also mocked-up the broken wall section where they escape the lightcycle arena, and did an infinity-mirror gag behind it so you could look into the hole and it seemed to have the arena grid receding into forever. It was just a bit bulky. A critical part of the look for the tank and the lightcycle is direct, top-down lighting, so I've played with some displays where that's built in.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back