TPM VD Yoda Lightsaber Prop

seven

Sr Member
Provided by the POSW, Yodas Lightsaber from the Visual Dictionary was made from:

1. Praco Flashmaker flashgun (center band, shround, brass screw, end cap)
2. PEM self-clinching nut (part #CLA-440-2)
3. Fujimi 1/16 Lamborghini Countach LP500S front tire rim (Emitter)
4. Monogram 1/12 1967 Corvette (not verified) Oil Pan (Activation Switch)
5. 1/2" Double Stick foam tape w/paper on, molded and cast in rubber (grips)
6. Flathead oval screw 1/2" long 2-56 thread (hold down Lamborghini Rim)
7. 1/8"(ish) long Screw to hold down PEM nut (4-40 thread)

I heard a rumor that the flashgun was a Bolsey flashgun (type 1 or ). During my search for the parts, I purchased a Monogram 1/2 1967 Corvette model. It was a three in one kit, however it did not have the correct oil pan Activator switch, so I believe that I got the incorrect model. I also aquired a 1/16 Lamborghini Countach model, but the style of the model I got is also incorrect.

Anyone have any information to the which specific models where used?

Last edited:
A Praco was used although a Bolsey can be a good substitute. The Bolsey is a mirror image of the Praco and has the wrong endcap.
The vette info came direct from Steve D. who made the prop, but I think he may have been mistaken since it was just in a pile of parts.
The Lamborghini info should be correct although I never had to buy the model myself.
The nut and grips are for absolutely correct.

The 1/16 Lamborghini Countach funjimi that I picked up has a similar rim to the original but with some minor differences.

From Ed's photos, the five wholes in the rim are extruded from the face of the wheel. This characteristic does not seem common is all Lamborghini wheels.

The scale for the Corrvette seems a bit big for the size of the saber, anyone find a scale/model that is a closer match?

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Weren't the grips from Blast-Tech, but with the fins cut off/sanded down?[/b]
I believe that was how Viper made his when he was making the saber.

I found one model with the correct style of hub for the emitter. It is from a

Fujimi '77 Lamborghini Countach LP500S 1:16 kit. This kit has the correct style of face, as the

Fujimi '88 Lamborghini Countach 5000 1:16 kit (which is the one I got), does not.

So I will see if I can pick up a LP500S kit and compare the hub with the saber.

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Lars @ Jun 28 2006, 11:56 AM) [snapback]1269858[/snapback]</div>
Weren't the grips from Blast-Tech, but with the fins cut off/sanded down?
[/b]

From the ASAP defined thread... from steve himself.

"The grips were originally cast in a hard resin (by me) from aluminum master patterns machined by my shop. I made the rubber molds from these metal masters and cast the grips. Ed didn't like the hard resin grips, so a few weeks later, I recast another set for him in a dark gray/ black resin with a 60 durometer hardness. He attached those himself. As opposed to what someone on the RPF recently said, the grips were never flat. The master patterns were machined to match the curvature of the 1 1/8" tube from the beginning."

While the other stuff he said is more suspect on it's accuracy (even though he built it, lol) I don't think that can be mistaken that it was custom.

<div class='quotetop'>(lonepigeon @ Jun 28 2006, 07:04 PM) [snapback]1270409[/snapback]</div>
Ed gave me the grips he had leftover from the original saber.
[/b]

Thats Awsome.

Would you mind sharing the dimentions for the grips? PM works too =)

"The grips were originally cast in a hard resin (by me) from aluminum master patterns machined by my shop. I made the rubber molds from these metal masters and cast the grips. Ed didn't like the hard resin grips, so a few weeks later, I recast another set for him in a dark gray/ black resin with a 60 durometer hardness. He attached those himself"

Hmmm...not really correct...
Steve originally added double-stick foam strips, with the white paper still on the surface, as grips.
I had a set of the rubber grips he had originally cast and used for his Darth Vader grips. I cut these down and replaced the foam grips he put on the sabre.
Ed

Here is a photo of Steve’s “Hardware” sabres showing the original grips on the Yoda sabre

SW_Yoda-Sabre.JPG

Thank you very much Ed for sharing.

I was trying to do a little scaling of the photos provided to get a "guess-tamate" on the size of the grips. I am guessing the uncut grips would be around:

5 3/4" long cut in four equal sections (1 7/16" ea)
1/2" wide,
1/10 to 1/8" thick
1 1/2" Diameter

Does that sound right?

Last edited:
I ordered a Bolsey on ebay for $10.00 (great price if I do say so myself)

It came with a few surprises.
The emitter is actually part of the flash itself. It was revealed when I took off the center band from its original location on top. I was thinking it had to be fabricated from scratch. Glad I don't have too.

I also noticed the black plate under the hub cap is already there. However it appears to be a weak paper like material. Making another on out of metal would be better. The plate is held down by a single screw down the center that appears to have been removed from the original and replaced with a longer screw to hold down the lamborgini hub.

The camera attachment bracket will have to be drilled off as is it riveted on. I will also need to aquire a more accurate base.

The band around the center is plastic, and sure tight fit. I will have to cut a notch in the front to accomodate the side knub looking thing.

Last edited:
Me all excited with my new bolsey, I tried to put on the Funjimi 1/16 Lamborghini Countach hub for the emitter. It would not slide in at first, but with a little expanding of the emitter shroud, it fit like a glove.

It seems to be a perfect fit.

The 1/16 hub is the correct scale. The 1/24 scale of the same model is far too small.

I also noticed another difference in the band (I am not sure if it is Praco specific or a modifiction). My band has a slight curve at each end. In the photos, provided by Ed, shows the center band to be flat on each end.

Was each end cut to give it a flat surface or just a manufacturing difference between the Praco and the Bolsey?

I feel compelled to whine about this every time a yoda VD (hee hee) saber comes up (also hee hee).

I bought a Praco in a local antique store for 5 bucks after lurking in the prop world for years. It was my first saber/prop ever. I got a viper resin wheel and made a scratchbuilt activator (my first scratchbuild) that was a little closer to the real deal.

Then I sold it.

Meathead.

I love this saber. It started a five year obsession with props and models. As far as I'm concerned, this IS Yoda's saber. The film version is just a poorly done CG version.

I wish someone would do a run of replica Pracos and parts. I mean, with all the Parks flash reps so easily available, it seems a shame not to see at least a limited production of these little gems.

<div class='quotetop'>(cayman shen @ Aug 4 2006, 06:27 PM) [snapback]1294210[/snapback]</div>
I wish someone would do a run of replica Pracos and parts. I mean, with all the Parks flash reps so easily available, it seems a shame not to see at least a limited production of these little gems.
[/b]

I agree. It seems like such an easy little flash unit to make compared to the graflex or MPP. It would doubly be nice if parts where made so those whom have a Bosley ;) can update their incorrect black battery base.

I agree...this one is far more appealing to look at than the CG counterpart from AOTC and ROTS. The only thing I would add is a green crystals in the emitter since there are holes to accommodate and some battle damage to mimic the ROTS look. I do however like the activator box from the other sabers...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back