Tomb Raider Reborn

I'm still not settled on the boots. I'm one of those quirky souls that really wants to try things on before I buy them. And I know these boots are going to be expensive, so I don't want to buy them off ebay where I have no guarantee they'll fit. But that seems to be the only place to find them.

With that being said, here's what I've been able to find so far (NOTE: For budget, I'm looking for boots under $100)...

Designer Esprit Brown Lace Up Combat Military Boots 7.5 - eBay (item 260805055918 end time Jul-19-11 16:18:00 PDT)

JAMES OLIVER BROWN LACE UP ANKLE BOOTS NIB $168 sz 7.5 - eBay (item 320718487829 end time Jul-23-11 05:50:01 PDT)

BROWN LACE UP BOOTS BY AQUA 38 - eBay (item 170595597905 end time Jul-25-11 13:59:23 PDT)

What do you guys think?

PS - One cosplayer in England had a pair of Timberlands that look fantastic (and I'm not picky about the zipper). However, I can't find those boots. But here's the height/style I'm looking for.

Timberlands.jpg

Last edited:
The Esprit ones are very plain - no interesting design details. Go with one of the others. My personal fav is the Oliver - more visually interesting, albeit lower than the Aqua 38 ones.

I know budget is a consideration, but maybe in the future when you have more $$ to throw at it, you could use the snakebite boots and paint/dye the camo parts. Those boots REALLY look the part. The pattern of the contrasting panels on the digital model is almost identical to the snakebite boots.

R

As you can see in the pic you posted, those Timberlands have nine eyelets, and I think they look great! I would be afraid that the Aquas would be too tall for you, based on what you told me. Also the Aquas don't say if they are leather or not, so that could be a problem. Given the choices I would go with the Olivers.

I am reeeeeeeealy intrigued by the Ice Axe, I really don't think it would be that hard to build, if you layered the material.

Just adding to the bra vrs vest top. I've seen vest tops with adjustable straps, so it could be that under the normal vest. You can also get support vests with adjustable straps, they act like a soft bra.

For another bra-strap comment... I always thought it looked like a white camisole under a blue one. They do have camis with straps like that (I got some from Costco), and the fact that the straps are on top of each other make it look like they are the same style of top.

I've had people tell me I should do this costume... not sure I will but it'll be cool to see what you come up with.

Jade pendant looks like an eagle over a shell.

Looks like they took the style from the old Nán Fāng Zhū Què Chinese type of pendant?

So instead of using the classic swirl tail or cloud they used a spiral snail shell?:unsure

I guess that's kind of clever taking a phoenix deal for a reborn title and adding in the shell for the shipwreck reference.

Here's a few older pieces that are kind of similar. No clue where you could get a cheap new one in that style nowadays but there are plenty of phoenix and dragon pendants made of jade for cheap on the internet that are fairly similar.

I'd rather have a real jade pendant with a slightly wrong design than a resin one with the right design, but that's just me. I am a geologist after all, I have priorities!:lol

Sweet! I love her new torn and gritty look.

I would go with a sports bra as opposed to a conventional bra or a white tank. I've seen the Adidas shops here carry a tank bra that looks very very similar. Also the plus point is that you wouldn't have to wear ANOTHER bra underneath it like you would if it was a tank. Dual purpose. :D

The necklace looks very luminescent green and I'm not sure you can achieve that with sculpey and paints. I'd suggest stalking bead shops around your area. You shoudl be able to put together something similar!

Can't wait to see more!

rickrickrick - I agree. I'm also thinking the Espirit ones are too low as well. At the moment I'm torn between the James Oliver and the Aquas. Neither are just right (but then again, I really want to try these on before committing to buying them! Argh!).

Hogosha - I'll definitely look into the ice axe a bit more. What do you think one could build it out of to get the proper look? (My apologies for my ignorance, I've never built props before).

Sigma-LS - Hm, I'm not quite seeing the eagle/shell part of the pendant. At from the detail shots posted here, it looked very reminiscent of a Maori greenstone koru pendant (which also is a symbol of new life). However, I think they designed some notches on the right side and more of a curl to the bottom of the koru to make it a little different and not a carbon copy of a New Zealand koru.

I think the end-all note for the bra vs. top debate is simply to do this....

Buy a white athletic tank top that has adjustable straps with a built in bra. Problem solved! :p (Now it's on to finding the little bugger....)

Still wracking my brain on the boot front. Here's a few more ebay possibilities. Let me know what you guys think!

If only these were a little shorter! They'd be perfect. SO CLOSE!

Vintage Leather Tall Lace Up Boots - eBay (item 190552284247 end time Jul-12-11 16:59:44 PDT)

NIB Born Brown Lace Up Combat Military Army Boot 7.5 - eBay (item 350444283518 end time Jul-30-11 18:26:18 PDT)

WOMENS FAUX LEATHER LACE UP MILITARY BOOTS UK 6 Black - eBay (item 250848041183 end time Jul-31-11 01:03:15 PDT)

(Hogosha - Thanks! That particular pendant is not quite it...but we're getting there! :) )

The tall ones are nice,and can actually be cut down....for a price. The Born ones look great also.... I would grab them.

Once i get the pendant, I will send it off to you.

While true I am biased to the character having been the Editor of the Tomb Raider comic series for about 5 years - I have always enjoyed seeing the character brought to life. It is a costume, in one for or another, that I can always plan on seeing at the SDCC each year. This one looks fantastic and I am looking forward to seeing it finished. Great work.:thumbsup

Hogosha - I was wondering about that as well, but the boots are already fairly expensive and I certainly don't know any who could cut down a boot like that.

Though what I'm thinking is the boot should be about 11 inches high. 14 seems too high (we don't want it covering my entire calf) and 7 inches is too low.

KnightAsylum - Why thank you! I feel honoured to have you watching. :)

Found the Ice Axe.
Looks similar in the concept art and poster but matches the trailer 100%

DMM Rebel Ace Axe 50cm Adze
Expensive, cheapest I saw it was $199.

If nothing else click on the image in the link to enlarge for a really good shot if you want to try your hand at scratch building one.

6080974979_968c8b0312_b.jpg

Last edited:
Found the Ice Axe.
Looks similar in the concept art and poster but matches the trailer 100%

DMM Rebel Ace Axe 50cm Adze
Expensive, cheapest I saw it was $199.

If nothing else click on the image in the link to enlarge for a really good shot if you want to try your hand at scratch building one.

6080974979_968c8b0312_b.jpg

I started mapping out the measurements...then my compooter did silly things. Back up as of yesterday!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back