Tomb Raider Reborn

Also, does anyone know good/easy distressing techniques for getting my clothes dirty and beat up looking? One friend has suggested running over the clothes with my car. (Another question, how to keep the dirt/distressed look. Would any washing make it come off?)

For the make-up part of my "gettin' dirty", I used a mix of brown eyeshadow (ground up into a powder) sealed on with baby oil (which lets the "dirt" stick, and makes you look sweaty). This also worked great for the shirts and bandages. Doesn't really wash out unless you really try.

My pants were apparently treated with some sort of stain guard, so that didn't work there. At SDCC, there was a park across the street that had a dirt path... I ran over there and just rolled around.

For the walkie, I lucked out in that I already had a pair of black walkies with yellow face plates. They're not the exact ones but close enough, I guess.

I'm really conflicted with the watch because I want a real one, but can't really justify the price right now (considering I'm also shopping for a GPS/HR watch that will get much more use). Maybe I'll just get a knockoff...

So here's what I've gathered from all the posts and other articles I've read on the distressing. One can use...

- Artist's charcoal
- Makeup
- Vegetable oil
- Coffee
- Tea
- RIT dye
- Running over it with a car
- Dirt
- Mud
- Coal
- Spraypaint/scotchbrite pad

Division 6 - I do remember that post. I've been referencing it in my searches. Alas my budget for the walkie talkie is $10-20 (as for the watch). At this point, I'm not going to be too picky as I'm nearing my budget for this costume. I'll check out that watch, see if I can get it in time for the shoot.

FoxhoundTCF - Thank you! :)

Lizard Jedi - Hah! I'm tempted to do just that. When I was an extra on a film recently, we were supposed to be really dirty but the makeup department didn't get to all of us before we had to be on set. So I literally rolled around in the mud and coal they had. The makeup artists looooved me for that one. :p

And just for fun, here's a couple more shots I just got back from Momocon.
Mouth_zpse65b6a42.jpg

8557880477_85f751cec8_b_zps1c2b1af9.jpg

Any thoughts on how to make Lara's quiver? (and preferably on the quick-n-cheap.) It looks like some sort of thick canvas to me in the screencap. Though I'm not sure how to make it keep its cylindrical shape (as I've tried to make a fabric-based quiver before and it refused to stay open and laid flat).

8517857479_3bcd107213_b1_zps6609d705.jpg

Here's a picture of a cosplayer's rendition. I have no idea what material she used and how she distressed it.

553190_576309472379941_1299424354_n_zps35c031cc.jpg

PVC pipe wrapped in cloth.
I'd use a white canvas or heavy cotton duct (sp) maybe even a watered down coat of Gesso to make it stiff.

Then wrap with the leather cord.

Weathering with dry brushing on some earth tone paints.

Last edited:
The PVC pipe that was mentioned above would work pretty well, but it's round, not oval. I was going to suggest making the rigid inside part out of cardboard so you could score it and bend it into the shape you want. Since you're going to cover it with fabric or leather, it won't matter what color the cardboard is, or if it has part of a box label on it.

Not sure where you are getting the oval from, got any photos?
It is slightly tapered which is easy to accomplish by cutting a slice out and heating to flex it in.
Did something similar for 3PO arm pieces.

The bottom is also indented about a 1/4" or so.

In the top photo Ladynerd posted above in post #247, I thought the quiver looked oval at the top - wider left/right. I've seen quivers shaped like that, but what I thought I was seeing in the image may actually be a trick of the perspective.

Wow are we nitpicking! (LOL)

Well I did identify the correct pick, walkie and brand of watch.
If you are going to do it, then do it right.;)

I'm not making the costume (being male) but I love the games, props and the research.

The bottom looks to be indented 1/2" with a 1/4" edge.
8568342741_8cd05d0e91_b.jpg

Currently I'm trying to find the correct doorway in the College Graduation picture so I can recreate it using real photos.

I just noticed something else. I think the quiver shown in the game images is too short. I think the bottom edge should be closer to her left hip rather than in the middle of her back. If Lara is an average height, her arrows are probably going to be around 25-26" long. They look shorter in that image. I think this is a quirk of the game modelers. Ladynerd, if you size your arrows to your own draw length, and then the quiver to your arrows, it'll work fine, but it may be longer than is shown in the game.

I love the nit-pickiness! It helps me be armed with the knowledge to make my costume look better. Well, hopefully....if my budget will allow it. >.< I'm leaning towards doing a cardboard tube myself and wrapping it canvas, sewing where appropriate, then distressing the heck out it. The only thing I worry about with the cardboard/canvas approach is that it won't have the give that her quiver has in the pictures. But then I fear if I just do canvas (about 3 layers or so) that it'll just close flat and not keep it's shape.

I was noticing her quiver was too short too...I'm 5'8" and My arrow shafts are 29 inches long (not including the arrowhead, which I'm only going to do on one arrow for now). I'll have 3 in the quiver and one that I use for drawing. 3 untipped arrows should make convention security less fussy too. :p

The holster is almost done, my friend is just putting a few coats on sealant on it. But it's gorgeous and custom-molded to a M1911.

I scaled out the quiver using 1/4" shaft diameter (yes I know real ones range is size but since dowels are being used that was my starting point)
Top of quiver is 4", bottom 3 1/4" ht 16 1/4" Lara's arrows scale out to 25".

Probably best to upscale the quiver to suit you size.

Cardboard would be easy.
I'd probably duct tape the seam and tape in a bottom so nothing pokes through the cloth, maybe a can or jar top.

Last edited:
that strange green foam that people use for making fake flower displays works great for arrows, i use the stuff for my real bow when im out hunting, keeps them in place real well. can get that stuff really cheap at any hobbyish joint like hobby lobby, easy to cut to size as well.

I have the quiver on my next to-do list as well (now that I finished up my holster finally).

I have a very rough pattern laid out.

For the shape, if you're using layers of canvas, you can starch the heck out of it and it will stay pretty stiff. Or add some really stiff interfacing.

I was also thinking of using some sheets of thin fun foam to help with that, if it needs it.

Also, thinking of what to do for the strap. It looks like the quiver strap is the same thats used for the shotgun holster. This makes it easy, just stick either holster onto the D-ring in the back.
But I'm having trouble finding the buckle in the right size. Meh...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back