Tomb Raider (2013) Ice Axe Build

Welcome Jenn and Shona. Glad you guys are here :) Really nice work on this too.

Thanks! I don't know why I didn't join here years ago (although I did the same thing with RQ too >.<) - running a site of my own takes up a lot of my online time I guess!

Nice work, ladies! Looks great for a first-time cast.

I have the game on order (from the UK, 'cuz the download-only option for North America is poopy) and hope to be playing soon!

Hope you enjoy it, Tim. I hear nothing but great things about it. I haven't gotten around to it yet because we're so swamped with the axes but I hope to try it soon. :thumbsup

I'm trying to decide whether I should pick up a real ice-axe or one of these awesomesauce replicas...decisions, decisions.

Now if my job wasn't so poopy and let me have time to play video games... ;)

You'd probably guess which way I'll try and steer you ;-P but what would you use the axe for? If you had the real axe, you couldn't weather it much without compromising the integrity of the axe itself (as a functional piece of climbing equipment).

I'm trying to decide whether I should pick up a real ice-axe or one of these awesomesauce replicas...decisions, decisions.

You could find pre weathered (used) ones on ebay UK.
Although if for merely display purposes a resin version would be lighter and less expensive.

I'd get a real one but I have a kid in the house. If they're sharp at all it goes to the garage/workshop collection. And I want something my wife can take to a Con!

You'd probably guess which way I'll try and steer you ;-P but what would you use the axe for? If you had the real axe, you couldn't weather it much without compromising the integrity of the axe itself (as a functional piece of climbing equipment).
You mean I'm not supposed to get lost on a deserted island and use it for survival? :p

Re: Re: Tomb Raider (2013) Ice Axe Build

If you're going to a con with it, buy hers for sure. Otherwise get a real one, because it's actually a useful tool. Who doesn't love useful tools!
(Jenn, I'm gonna buy one of yours once I get the funds along with a real one since I plan on doing both con trawls and crazy hiking.)

That looks Fantastic. Great work! I actually got the art book for the new game the other day, lots of great stuff in there. If either of you need some reference from it I'll see if I can do some scans or take pics of it for you.

You could find pre weathered (used) ones on ebay UK.
Although if for merely display purposes a resin version would be lighter and less expensive.

Most used climbing axes are sold in pairs, which end up being as much or a little bit more than the cost of buying a new single axe. I've looked. The main reason I went with buying the real axe wasn't to do this project (that idea came way later). I bought the real one because I'm an avid climber and plan on starting ice climbing. If it wasn't for that, there's no way I'd justify paying $300USD for one of those axes, especially if theres a chance the convention nazis might kick you out for it.

But if you are dead set on buying the real deal, better hurry and get one before they're out of stock at the climbing shops, as the Rebel has been discontinued for 2013.

That looks Fantastic. Great work! I actually got the art book for the new game the other day, lots of great stuff in there. If either of you need some reference from it I'll see if I can do some scans or take pics of it for you.

I have a friend who got one as well and tells me about all the awesome pictures in it. I might take you up on that, especially for some high res images of the bows. Thank you very much for the offer too. :)

Decisions, decisions. My choice might be made by how much spare scratch I have about...the reserves are a bit low after buying a new car.

Small world Jenn. loving that axe. As a guy I will have to make do with my Roth cosplay. Welcome to the RPF :cool x

Paul

Nice replica. I made my own axe for fun. Sadly I didn't have an original to work from, so I made it out of mdf. Really happy with the result, definitely want to make some more and better it, my router skills aren't great at the moment.

Laras-ice-axe-tomb-raider-2013-prop-left.jpg

Hope you all like it.. I would have made my own thread, but that seemed silly given this thread is about Lara's Ice Axe... hope that was okay.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back