To base or not to base? That is the question (lifesize figures)

Gonna throw my .02 in.

A themed base is awesome. No base is ok, and frankly some of my life sized ones have no base, but it's mainly due to a lack of interesting choices for the bases.

If you can pull off a great looking base, more power to ya. It seems a little odd to me to have Superman, or Batman or whoever just standing around on my carpet.

Chris

Thanks for everybody's insight.

I made Threepios frame with balance in mind, and fortunately, got him to a point where he stands unaided. I think I am going to leave the base out for now, and I can always add it later.

If anything, I think I decided that any base I create would be a removable one so I can change my mind. Everybody had great points.

I really like the look of "no base."

It gives you the look and feel that it's the real dude standing right there in your room. The only problem, as others have mentioned, is the fear that your figure will fall over. :unsure

**ArtisanProps, I laughed out loud when I read your "Noooooooo"

Wes R mentioned the acrylic base option. I had some of these priced out in glass or acrylic. The glass shop said acrylic would scratch up very easily, glass would probably be the way to go. They were spendy, around $300

I've got a couple lifesize figures in the works and I hope to answer the "no base" option soon...I'll post how I figure it out! :)

brad

Gonna throw my .02 in.

A themed base is awesome. No base is ok, and frankly some of my life sized ones have no base, but it's mainly due to a lack of interesting choices for the bases.

If you can pull off a great looking base, more power to ya. It seems a little odd to me to have Superman, or Batman or whoever just standing around on my carpet.

Chris

i agree with this completley, most characters will look out of context in a normal room especially if you have characters from different movies standing next to each other. I think a THEMED base helps ground the character in the universe they came from.

i agree with this completley, most characters will look out of context in a normal room especially if you have characters from different movies standing next to each other. I think a THEMED base helps ground the character in the universe they came from.

I agree totally with this guys. Gotta have a nice Themed base. For instance im making a gridded boiler room base with a few mist makers and orange uplighters for my 1:1 Freddy Krueger. Like fettster said i think it grounds the character and also the base can be equally as cool as the finished character if done right.

I'm not sure if I showed the lightning function of my Emperor base before:

Emperor Display - Lambda-Shuttle Style

So you're not sure what you will do with your lifesize statues?
I really love my base and he looks pretty cool with the autograph of Ian McDiarmid:

I think I would prefer a base for lifesize statues...

IMG_3964-1.jpg
Much prefer to have a base, finishes off the piece nicely. Don't like figures standing on the floor or carpet, and also constantly worrying about finding them on the floor smashed in pieces, see here my life size Alien I was unable to use the high profile lighted base which I really liked because I don't have the clearance overhead. This REALLY bugs me everytime I look at the piece, in this case I think it looks bad.

Hhhmmmm.... I've always thought that a lifesize figure simply standing on carpet, wooden floor, tiles etc. instantly destroys the 'suspension of belief' / otherworldly element that's usually associated with sci-fi or fantasy lifesize displays.
If there is no beige shag-pile (it's CARPET! Stop sniggering at the back! :love) in the Star Wars / LOTR / Star Trek / Batman etc. etc. galaxy, then having a lifesize display of a character from one of these movies/TV shows, standing on plain ole' carpet looks a lil' bit odd IMO.

So my vote goes for BASE :)

Would love it if people could post some pics of their bases!

Okey dokey, here's my humble effort:

six_6.jpg
four_4.jpg

Cheers,
John
john@manicminer.plus.com

Wow, you guys rock, that was exactly what I was hoping to see.

Hey MK Ultra, have you considered finding an interesting automotive or floor mat perhaps? Maybe there is something on the flat side that resembles the grating of the Nostromo or Solaco?

(Something like this)

Rubber-Floor-Matting-Rubber-Mats-GM401-.jpg

I own a piece of the screenused floor tiles from the Solaco and they aren't too much different! Maybe it can just use a shot of gun metal metalic.

Also check out this thread:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/aliens-floor-grating-76734/

These are terrific and REALLY have my gears going for my lifesizers. I am still not positive which way I am going to go, but I am def. leaving toward at least having bases for those figures who are "other worldly" and just don't fit in on their own.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back