TMP Iron Man CONTEST! Winning price: Iron Man helmet.

I remind people i encourage to provide an sample on it.
The ideas are good but who can make an sample on it?

Please submitt your ideas to my PM.

The competition ends 05.02.08

Winner of the best idea submitted and sent an sample on will win the helmet.

"Who are you.... I am .... Batm.... SMOCK, SMACK, BANG.... I am Ironman."

Last edited by a moderator:
"but its clear to see that you can see over and under it."
well if you cut it to the size of the eyes*covering up the entire eye hole, how can the second part of your sentence be true? I wasnt talking about the length of the strip but the face that it does not cover up the eye holes length wise up and down not side to side. not to bash your idea, I like it alot, I promise. Im just very curious how can you still see through it since this is the first time I have ever seen and heard of this illuminated tape.Technology...WOW
-Scott

in the released pics, the who of the eye isnt lit, just a thin strip in the centre, the rest is a black housing fitted behind the face mask.

hope that makes sense.

in the released pics, the who of the eye isnt lit, just a thin strip in the centre, the rest is a black housing fitted behind the face mask.

hope that makes sense.
I get where you're going, and it is easier to see with the closeup shot of the face Ramiel linked. I'd say use a mirrored lense though to surround the EL tape. Just cut the tape to a slightly smaller contour of the eyehole, and hopefully block out the light that will bounce back through. Visibility would probably be crap, but you could still see if the tape doesn't get too bright back in your face.

Here's some random musings-

IronmanEyes.jpg

-Sarge

Maybe a little late in the day for suggestions, but how about something using partially mirrored glass - effectively a beam splitter? Not sure how compact it could be made by optimising the angles - or how much room you have to spare?

ironmaneye.jpg

Sarge illustrates an interesting point there, the long ridge that goes across the top of the eyes, could that be made entirely of a gold mirrored material where the actor can see out of, and the lighting for the eyes would be below it, not sure it would be a perfect colour blend but its quite a substantial viewing area

Ok, This may be a long shot but this is an idea I've had for a while. If implemented correctly it could be a wonderful solution and could be used on other helmets and such with similar problems. If one could find a way to hook up these virtual reality glasses to a small spy camera. The spy camera could be hidden somewhere on the helmet or on your person and you could see the live feed from the camera through the glasses. That way you could make your lenses light up and look the way you need without having to worry about seeing out them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Wire-Secur...ryZ48629QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/VIRTUAL-VIDEO-E...ryZ48680QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(Note: I dont mean these exact glasses, but just whatever glasses are the most cost effective and space effective. These links are just examples to give you a general idea of what i mean)

The spy camera could be hidden somewhere on the helmet or on your person and you could see the live feed from the camera through the glasses.

I could be totally wrong here, but to me it seems like you'd be taking away any depth-of-field or sense of equilibrium for the wearer of the helmet... basically it would be like displaying a 'flight sim' in the cockpit windows of a real plane while you tried to fly it, and I can't see that as being a good idea. :confused

I must say though, it is definitely a very creative way of trying to solve the problem, but probably not practical. :thumbsup

cool ideas guys. I am also in the same boat as TMP and have been trying to figure out some things for my own Iron Man helmets. I am watching this thread with intrest and hopingthis comes to something. Some of the ideas are very cool. :thumbsup

I could be totally wrong here, but to me it seems like you'd be taking away any depth-of-field or sense of equilibrium for the wearer of the helmet... basically it would be like displaying a 'flight sim' in the cockpit windows of a real plane while you tried to fly it, and I can't see that as being a good idea. :confused

I must say though, it is definitely a very creative way of trying to solve the problem, but probably not practical. :thumbsup

Well I haven't tried it or anything so i have no idea how well it works. From what ive read about these glasses though it seems like they are supposed to be more like virtual reality with the way they project the images. I still think it would be cool to try, even if it doesnt work as well as just having a lense to see through.

Maybe a little late in the day for suggestions, but how about something using partially mirrored glass - effectively a beam splitter? Not sure how compact it could be made by optimising the angles - or how much room you have to spare?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/knightjar/ironmaneye.jpg

MAN!:eek i actually think this could be the way!! im gonna try it! and i know exacly how! thank you!:thumbsup

there's just a thing...it is a mirrored glass...soo, depending on the angle that the other people look at you, the angle of the light can change...just thoughts

MAN!:eek i actually think this could be the way!! im gonna try it! and i know exacly how! thank you!:thumbsup

there's just a thing...it is a mirrored glass...soo, depending on the angle that the other people look at you, the angle of the light can change...just thoughts

Happy I could help! Looking forward to seeing how you make it work.

Doing some fast tests

Pros:
very cool 3D effect

100% visibility

not "that much" space consuming as some people may think

Cons:
light lose intensity

problems from too high or too low angles

not exactly movie accurate

my normal lights
IMG_3657.JPG

the effect
IMG_3703.JPG

from a side
IMG_3704.JPG

in the helmet
IMG_3691.JPG

looking from behind
IMG_3705.JPG

personal opinion
I really liked the final effects, makes me feel like im using some cool technology haha and reaction from people when they wear the helmet is like "awesome!"

Im gonna do a few more tests with others materials, next week! :D

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back