TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt *SHREDDER*

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt (Front Shell Fix)

one nearly screen accurate mikey belt coming up!

here's a "vinyl" prototype. honestly. I'm 99% happy with the vinyl belt. the only difference I can tell is that its a thinner material. on the real belt, where the belt weaves in and out of the slits, you can tell its much thicker. but probably not something most would ever notice. in any case, its being done in real leather... this was just a final mockup before butchering a cow.

also, like the screen used belt, I made the belt 2 pieces and laced it up in the back with brown eyelets. also used the brass rivets on the center loop. :)

It looks awesome man! Just imagining it on leather....whoah!:love
Oh, and when you butcher the cow, I could use some beef to fill the freezer! Beef, it's what's for dinner

all the belts looked like cut up leather guitar straps to me.....most guitar straps have the same interlocking concept on them....not saying they used guitar straps but very very close

http://www.eldoradostraps.com/images/DUR-Bwrinklebrown2.jpg
http://www.wellpromo.com/upload/upimg36/Italian-Rustic-Leather-Concert-245936.jpg

Those images definately show a likeness.

Still trying to figure out the shell, its a BEAST!:angry
But recieved the normal shipment from smooth-on, should be enough to finish all the molding:thumbsup
IMG_1259.jpg

What is beast are your orders from Smooth-on! Ya can't put a price tag on what you love ;)

It looks awesome man! Just imagining it on leather....whoah!:love
Oh, and when you butcher the cow, I could use some beef to fill the freezer! Beef, it's what's for dinner

Those images definately show a likeness.

Still trying to figure out the shell, its a BEAST!:angry
But recieved the normal shipment from smooth-on, should be enough to finish all the molding:thumbsup
IMG_1259.jpg

all the belts looked like cut up leather guitar straps to me.....most guitar straps have the same interlocking concept on them....not saying they used guitar straps but very very close

http://www.eldoradostraps.com/images/DUR-Bwrinklebrown2.jpg
http://www.wellpromo.com/upload/upimg36/Italian-Rustic-Leather-Concert-245936.jpg

thats a good observation. i also made that conclusion based on the belts being about 3.5" wide... and the ONLY freaking straps of 3.5" leather I could find anywhere are guitar straps.

so I think that that's PROBABLY what they did.

I really think the belts are custom made from raw leather. They may have some traits in common with guitar straps, but guitar straps are usually more finished (for instance, note the stitching on the edges of those examples). Getting large hides to cut strips from is well within the budget and capabilities of the Henson shop, and they really nailed a real-world interpretation of the comic belts.

Not to make you shift gears again Deric, but I think you should reconsider making that crotch strip a separate piece! The lower front of the shell should go straight down, and have a good separate ridge from that strip. Molding it together may make for ease of assembly, but it'll be a huge mold and the look won't be quite right in the end. The strip will pull the bottom of the front plate back, rounding it towards the bottom, and there won't be a ledge between the two as seen on the movie shells.

Still loving this build and I'm sure whatever direction you take will look great in the end! Thanks for sharing all of your trials and progress with us.

- Doug

I think you should reconsider making that crotch strip a separate piece! The lower front of the shell should go straight down, and have a good separate ridge from that strip. Molding it together may make for ease of assembly, but it'll be a huge mold and the look won't be quite right in the end.

+1 for making an easier mold, but... in the movies, it was connected to the front plate (you can see it in one of the photos I posted earlier). i think he wanted to go as screen accurate as possible.

Ah yes - I see that it's one piece now! Thought there was more of a dip in before it went back.

Regardless, I think the Henson shell would have been sculpted and molded in its final shape rather than as a straight line down. That way there's a natural angle, down and then back. I think that casting the strap as a straight down piece is still likely to pull the front bottom in or necessitate a low curve of the strap...

This is by far the greatest thing i have ever seen. With the shell, arn't you worried about the weight? obviously you are going to cast it but how will it maintain its shape? You will figure out the shell, you figured out everything else, keep up the awesome work.

Here is the image I will be using to reference for the shell pattern. (thanks Jacob!)
SHELLPRINT.jpg

I decided the best way to match the pattern was to print the design to scale then cut the patterns out of foam sheets then fix them to the shell.

file-56.jpg

file-57.jpg

file-58.jpg

My beautiful BABY mama!
file-54.jpg

Not glued together yet but just an idea.
file-55.jpg

Much more to come!
Later RPF

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt (Shell Pattern)

here's a little update from my side of things :) i put the master to work today. we figured out how to use that psycho paint pretty quickly, not too hard to work with. just have to REALLY thin it down to airbrush with it, so I hope it dries ok, but it seems like it. we only got to work on it for about 2 hours before I had to leave to go work. so I'm hoping we can wrap em up tomorrow :) all we need now is too add some yellow to the paint to bring the color closer to movie accurate, then add some detail and paint the nails on. piece of cake!

Why am I so much more pumped from your side of thing?!?

It's Looking awesome!!! Seriously can't wait... I'm checking my emails like crazy looking for these photos! HAHA Little kid

Sounds like Fettster gave you on the additional info you were looking for.
The images look like they have a bit of gloss, but that could be because they are still wet. Either way its looking awesome! SO PUMPED!

I'm hoping to get out of the office some tomorrow and get with the the welder and build the rotocaster tomorrow! Fingers crossed...:love

yeah, you dont add the matte (powdered sugar I guess) untill the last coat of paint. i think the way I'm going to go about it, is the finish all paint work, then mix up some psycho paint with no pigment (clear) and run a final coat and matte that. that way it doubles as a final protective coat AND a matte coat :)

Genius!
I'm crushing energy drinks to stay awake and keep working on the shell patterns. I think this is the best approach to get the right shapes..

looks good! dude, i think this is all actually going to work and come together! i'll check up on my leather tomorrow.

only slow part on my end is my dad doing the paint. he's only free thurs and fri so I only get 2 shots a week... and thats only if im not working those days. but we'll get it done!

Update:

The 50 pound rotisserie motors weren't enough to rotate the machine.:angry

Thats fine though, I will see consider finding a bigger motor or I may move forward doing it by hand! No big deal, where there's a will, there's a way!!

Last edited:

Will post photos tomorrow. Been out since noon and just now getting home, in bed already. But we got another couple of coats on today... Added the yellow. They're pretty toned and defined... Just need a last coat of brown and some detail spots added. They look pretty bad arse!

Will post photos tomorrow. Been out since noon and just now getting home, in bed already. But we got another couple of coats on today... Added the yellow. They're pretty toned and defined... Just need a last coat of brown and some detail spots added. They look pretty bad arse!

WOW long day! I crashed last night after trying to build the rotocaster. But I'm up early and back to work on the shell. Should have the shell finished this weekend! I MUST FINISH IT!!!
Can't wait to see the pics!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back