Titanic "Heart of the Ocean" Necklace...*Hand Fabrication of Fine Jewelry*

Re: Titanic's "Heart of the Ocean" Necklace...*Hand Fabrication of Fine Jewelry*

Amazing Photo! Thank You for Sharing.

Of the 3 photos. The final 2 are my necklaces. 2nd one is mine (I have a series of those photos marked "Not For Duplication"). final photo with Dr Who Screwdriver is also mine.

The stones look great. When ever a stone is hand cut you can never expect perfection. The blue material you have chosen looks superb.

When you finally get around to building your necklace contact me and I will be more than happy to help you achieve perfection :)

Re: Titanic's "Heart of the Ocean" Necklace...*Hand Fabrication of Fine Jewelry*

Here is the series of photos I took. To give you a good idea of what it looks like.

$_3.JPG $_3dd.JPG$_3ss.JPG$_3ee.JPG$_3sssssd.JPG$_3sss.JPGebay1.JPG

Last edited:

From the office of James Cameron in California.

0f6f29eaf64c11e29efd22000a1f9a07_7.jpg609939688e7911e28e2022000a1cdd10_7.jpg326da5da6bfe11e2a8e322000a9f13d9_7.jpg

Last edited:

I wanted to explain how much details play a role in smaller props. The concept of the design is fairly easy but its sometimes hard to decipher the shape, along with all the tiny details to a piece. When analyzing a movie like Titanic there are only a select number of scenes where the necklace is shown.
This made constructing the necklace difficult.

The shape of the blue stone alone was difficult. A generic heart shape does not match what this piece requires. An exaggeration of the shape
was required to get the preferred look.

When I had my final few made by a manufacturer he had created the setting and ordered generic closed heart shaped stones. all 11 had been cut.
when he sent me photos my first response was......"Those will never fit in the setting!"

I was then asked to make a radius rendering of the shape. Every stone had to be hand cut to get that shape.

Now for all of you who think you did your research on this necklace and think its a heart or a pear or a Trillion.....let me break your heart!

The shape is called a Pillowed Pear. This shape is difficult for many lapidary artists. Getting it level and not lopsided is difficult to achieve.

This specific cut is reserved for diamonds because of its range of difficulty. I spoke to one of the original designers of the necklace who worked on the set of Titanic. He asked me why I thought James would pick this shape? My reply was simple "Difficult to mass produce properly!"

The shape is distinct to the entire design of the necklace. Without the correct shaped blue stone the entire thing would look generic.

Generic was not good enough for me.

The chain was fairly simple. Tight knit with a specific pattern of links.

The main setting on the other hand proved to be a process.

I found by hand building the necklace that there was an art to hand fabrication. Duplicating that process on a larger scale would become an even longer, drawn out process.

Study your piece. build a detailed rendering and go back and study it. If you get stuck take a nap and recharge 9x out of 10 the moment you wake up you will find the answer you are seeking.

Creating a light weight frame for the blue stone, with enough detail to curve my craving for excellence was the biggest hurdle.

I honestly feel that I achieved something incredible. I have surprised 10 year jewelers and movie fans alike with my design on this necklace.

The real question I present.....How far are you willing to go to get the results you want?

IMG_7143.JPGIMG_0080.jpgIMG_0077.jpg
(all the different shades of blue used for comparison)

Blue Diamonds have no violet hues. They are either slightly green or grey.
Hence why I went with the stone on the far left.

Last edited:

Millimeters Matter!

What makes a great prop? Measurements play a major role in any prop or piece of art.

In the world of jewelry a single tiny speck of a millimeter can make or break a design.

But a millimeter is so small how could it make a difference????

Have you ever cut something slightly shorter than it needed to be, to find out it wont properly connect?
If you do then you will understand.

Jewelry is small and usually quite minute in scale. Earrings, rings and pendants are ornamentation and are not meant to be massive.
No matter how big or small using precise calculated measurements, can make a massive difference towards the final outcome of your piece.

If your setting is to small and your stone is slightly larger all that work will be wasted.
I can make it fit!
Really? Your going to wedge it in there and apply pressure?

Get ready to spend more money on new product!

In the jewelry world you are working with precious gemstones and crystals, metals that are quite strong (even tho mailable) can destroy stones when pressure is applied.

Forcing any stone into a setting that doesn't fit properly will cause drastic problems!

Do the math and get your calculations correct before you decide to throw anything together.
If you have no game plan your game will fail. I assume anyone on this site who makes quality props would attest.

Just because the measurement is tiny does not mean it should be overlooked.

Remember.......MILLIMETERS MATTER!

The last official necklace released by 20th Century Fox (Mexico)

For the re release of Titanic 3D, 20th Century Fox approved this version of the necklace.
6 were said to be made designed by Daniel Espinosa.

danielespinosa_heartofocean.jpg2nota.jpgCoeur_DanielEspinosa_1-595x400.jpg

According to many online posts James Cameron, one was to be given away to a fan thru a YouTube competition.

Titanic necklace to be given away via YouTube competition | Film | theguardian.com

After the Movies release nothing was heard from again about this so called competition.

If anyone heard anything about the competition, please post a link to share.

Last edited:

But Michael.....Do you only make jewelry?

No. I make all types of things.

I will be starting new threads with my new projects as soon as i have the funds to begin them.

I even enjoy painting. I call this painting... Jewels from the Deep.
Based on William Shakespeare's
A Mid Summers Nights Dream.
Act 3 Scene 1
157 I'll give thee fairies to attend on thee,
158 And they shall fetch thee jewels from the deep,
159 And sing while thou on pressed flowers dost sleep;

Picture 037.jpg

Jewels from the Deep by JewelsFromTheDeep on deviantART

Last edited:

Attachments

• evo.JPG
    evo.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:

You did a wonderful job bringing this necklace to life, Michael. Its definitely the best HOTO replica out there. I hope I follow your steps in completing my design and accomplishing what you've done. Congratulations!!

I felt inspired. thought I would add this to the hoto fanfare.

Painted on recycled acrylic panels. with SAND! (for texture)

IMG_2591.jpg

Keeping the thread alive. #HeartoftheOcean

Thank You to Everyone for your Comments. These necklaces are not available for sale but if you are serious about owning one please give making jewelry a chance. While it can be time consuming, it can be extremely rewarding.

Thank You
Michael Allen

Last edited:
There are some excellent copies available by other artists online. I hope everyone find a worthy copy for their collection.

Last edited:
I have a question. I wish a necklace from Titanic. Which Rose had. From "Michael Allen" Where can I buy the necklace? I want this necklace for years. I would be happy if you can buy or produce

In this thread I will be posting photos and explaining how I created the blue diamond necklace from "Titanic".
I have been hand fabricating jewelry as a bench jeweler for over 7 years.
From soldering Sterling Silver and Gold to setting gemstones this will be a fun and exciting view from behind the Bench.
A Jewelers view of what it takes to build, cast and finish a piece of fine jewelry.

What is a Lapidary Artist?
What is Investing?
What is quality materials?
What is the best way to avoid Fire Scale?
What does it take to get a fine mirror polish?
Where does one even begin?

Take a journey with me and find out some of the trade secrets to making fine jewelry.
View attachment 271718View attachment 271719View attachment 271720
Can you make me one

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back