Tiger & Bunny Suit (armored ver. WIP)

These are my thoughts, a hybrid of the two processes, let me know what you think.
---
Slightly off topic, but still on the topic of T&B, originally i'd wanted to make Tiger's suit, but a look at his build, wider chest, more manly, I decided Bunny would be a better shape for a smaller person like me. So I really look forward to seeing Tiger done. Do it for me who is much to small to cosplay him!

Haha ok will do. Actually I had the same idea to have a hybrid. All the white armor areas (and some black) I'm going to have as the paper resin, and foam for the parts I need to be flexible in (ex: abs, back spine, cod piece, inner parts of shoes). For the Clear parts of the armor, I'm going to put the pepakura designs over clear colored plastic sheets and put them together (without tabs) in the same way as the foam pieces are attached together.

Yeah, Tiger's torso is a little crazy and the legs on both Tiger and Bunny are also ridiculously long, but I'm just going to work with the proportions. I'll put the Bunny file online as soon as I can.

For the Clear parts of the armor, I'm going to put the pepakura designs over clear colored plastic sheets and put them together (without tabs) in the same way as the foam pieces are attached together.

Yeah, Tiger's torso is a little crazy and the legs on both Tiger and Bunny are also ridiculously long, but I'm just going to work with the proportions. I'll put the Bunny file online as soon as I can.

The clear parts, I'm still thinking about that as if its put together in segments, you'll see the seams because of the hot glue. These I may resin cast.. possibly vacuum form? Thinking about it, I guess Resin casting them may be cheaper, as i'd already have resin on hand to do the paper parts. Vs building a vacuum forming rig and all that. Did a quick count, Bunny has 8 clear pieces to Tigers 5.. what a pain. Again, more thoughts. It's nice to have someone to throw ideas off of.

Theirs not too much of a rush to get me the file. I have several costumes to finish for Otakon in july beforehand. I can't even start Bunny till after that. I have a cannon to finish first..

@Rahkai
Yeah, I'm thinking about vacuum forming my clear parts because there's one at my school :p

@ikkakuro
I'm using Blender v.2.62, I'm not sure about python, I don't even think I needed to worry about that, but it was v.2.4.3 I think. It took me a while to find out what I was doing wrong with meshio too. Here's what was most helpful for me:

--" Copy the folder named:

blender26-meshio

to the following location:

MacOS – Blender > Contents > MacOS > 2.59 > scripts > addons
Windows – Similar (something like 2.59 > scripts > addons; sorry for being lazy)"

This is where I put my files, and then I followed the instructions on the page
485178_267731466649529_109947829094561_573539_947957678_n.jpg

--"Now you need to open Blender and in the menus go to user preferences > add-ons. To locate the add-on easily deselect ‘official’ and select ‘Import-Export’. Check the item reading“Import-Export: meshio. (.pmd)(.pmx)(.mqo)”. (In my case it displays a worrying exclamation mark. Still works)

Click save as default at the bottom left of user prefs. (but don’t do that while you have a scene opened or it will become your default scene)"

522793_267737619982247_109947829094561_573552_2005191383_n.jpg

522793_267737623315580_109947829094561_573553_398682142_n.jpg

@Rahkai
Yeah, I'm thinking about vacuum forming my clear parts because there's one at my school :p

@ikkakuro
I'm using Blender v.2.62, I'm not sure about python, I don't even think I needed to worry about that, but it was v.2.4.3 I think. It took me a while to find out what I was doing wrong with meshio too. Here's what was most helpful for me:

--" Copy the folder named:

blender26-meshio

to the following location:

MacOS – Blender > Contents > MacOS > 2.59 > scripts > addons
Windows – Similar (something like 2.59 > scripts > addons; sorry for being lazy)"

This is where I put my files, and then I followed the instructions on the page
485178_267731466649529_109947829094561_573539_947957678_n.jpg

--"Now you need to open Blender and in the menus go to user preferences > add-ons. To locate the add-on easily deselect ‘official’ and select ‘Import-Export’. Check the item reading“Import-Export: meshio. (.pmd)(.pmx)(.mqo)”. (In my case it displays a worrying exclamation mark. Still works)

Click save as default at the bottom left of user prefs. (but don’t do that while you have a scene opened or it will become your default scene)"

522793_267737619982247_109947829094561_573552_2005191383_n.jpg

522793_267737623315580_109947829094561_573553_398682142_n.jpg
thanks bro, now I can import pmd to my blender :D

btw I found a MMD model of bunny!
574563_3039109546162_1515721002_32371275_1659032038_n.jpg
[/img]

yeah it's bunny model! HD bunny 3D model :rolleyes credits to http://bigbenedge.blog43.fc2.com/blog-entry-202.html

@Blarg: Sorry for replying so late, but thanks for responding to my original questions! I actually have scrapped my first chest armor attempt too, hahaha. Sad to think about all that time wasted, but it's a learning process indeed. My second go is just using a cardboard base, as it's easier to work with. I figure if I'm going to cover it with something like paper mache anyway, I may as well use something easier to work with as the base! It already looks much better than my first one. Good luck with your next attempt! I hope you share it with us here when you get to it. :D

@Dei: I love your Sky High!! Your helmet is so smooth and realistic. Very nice work!

@Crimson: Wow, your helmet looks amazing! I can't wait to see the whole costume! I love your idea about using school folders, hah! That might be a good, cheap material for me to use for some of the lighted parts. Hmm!

@Rahkai: I don't know how small you are, but I'm small too (5'3" small girl) and am trying to make up for my size by using 8-inch platform shoes (which will be covered by the armor - I'm building fake feet around the platforms to make it look like my feet are close to the ground, even though my feet will be several inches higher), and I've also made a muscle suit to bulk myself up. So with the shoes on I'm almost 6ft tall and with a bit of a muscle build! It's not perfect, but I'm not far off from my boyfriend who is 6'2 with a medium build. And the armor on top of it all adds to the size. I think you could do Tiger if you wanted! :D If there's a will, there's a way, dangit! I'm finding that the length added onto my legs and having a comparatively smaller waist work to my advantage on some parts, since they have unnaturally long legs and narrow waists (well, Bunny's waist is small, but you can always add on for Tiger if you need to!). Also, having a smaller head helps too since they seem to have such tiny heads compared to the rest of their armor, hahaha (oh silly proportions!). I say you should try for Tiger if that is who you would rather make.

Also, about the clear parts, I myself am planning to make a small vacuum forming machine to make them. D: It'll be a huge pain, and cost more, but like you said, the hot glue seams will be too obvious with piecing together plastic sheet. The seams are totally fine if the shape is angular like Tiger's helmet horn, but for the round shapes like Bunny has, I don't think it'll look right. I'd rather have opaque pieces than have clear ones with hot glue seam lines, but that's me! If I totally fail at vacuum forming, I'm going to just make the parts opaque (though I'd probably keep the arm guards clear, they would just have to be flatter than I'd like).

@ikkakuro: Thanks for posting the 3D model! I would love to see the helmet unfolded. I can't do pepakura, but I would really like to see a pattern for it. I have a rough base I made, but my chin and face plate could use a lot of work. I'd love it if someone unfolded it! :D

--

It's so exciting to see so many people making the hero suits. I really wish I could use resin so I could do the pepakura method! Alas, apartment life limits me to paper mache and paper clay. D: Here's hoping I can get my armor to look smooth. I'm hoping to do a lot of work on my torso armor this weekend. I'm so eager to see the costume come together! It's painful having to take this long to make it, haha. I'm not used to it since I usually sew my costumes, and that does not take nearly as long since I usually know what I'm doing. There's sooo much trial and error with this, especially since I have to eyeball it all. >_<

Last edited:
thanks bro, now I can import pmd to my blender :D

btw I found a MMD model of bunny!
574563_3039109546162_1515721002_32371275_1659032038_n.jpg
[/img]

yeah it's bunny model! HD bunny 3D model :rolleyes credits to Death-Dimension

I can't understand the site you linked to, and I cant find a proper translator that makes any sense of it. By chance, could you email the files? That model looks fantastic, though I have no idea how to take it apart either. I was also trying to see if there was a face shield down model, but as I said, I can't make heads or tails of the linked site >>;

I don't know how small you are, but I'm small too (5'3" small girl)

I'm even smaller, at 22 years old I'm 5'1" and just under 100lbs. It's kept me from cosplaying the more masculine characters I like, but, It doesnt help I also have a 'baby' face. So I couldnt be super manly if I tried. Though a friend of mine is a makeup artist, so I'm hoping she'll have some tips and tricks I dont already know. I personally (talking standard cosplay), hate platform shoes on a cosplayer, they look really wierd in full body pictures. A good photographer can make a person appear taller. The toughest thing is if your cosplaying a group, and your supposed to be taller then another character. I usually like to strike a fighting pose then, my Zoro is way taller then me (Sanji, Both from One Piece), making him crouch for an attack helps. Being short just sucks all around though. /end babble rant..

I'm even smaller, at 22 years old I'm 5'1" and just under 100lbs. It's kept me from cosplaying the more masculine characters I like, but, It doesnt help I also have a 'baby' face. So I couldnt be super manly if I tried. Though a friend of mine is a makeup artist, so I'm hoping she'll have some tips and tricks I dont already know. I personally (talking standard cosplay), hate platform shoes on a cosplayer, they look really wierd in full body pictures. A good photographer can make a person appear taller. The toughest thing is if your cosplaying a group, and your supposed to be taller then another character. I usually like to strike a fighting pose then, my Zoro is way taller then me (Sanji, Both from One Piece), making him crouch for an attack helps. Being short just sucks all around though. /end babble rant..

I understand your pain! It does suck being short, and even more so when your cosplay friends are way taller. I normally hate platforms too and would never use them, but in this case I know I can get away with concealing them. My goal in the end is to make it look like there are no platforms involved at all, so I figure if it doesn't even look like a platform anymore, there's no harm in that! Another reason for the decision is because, as you said, it'd be a problem when cosplaying with others, lol. My boyfriend's going to be Kotetsu (civillian) and when he's naturally almost a foot taller than me, I gotta play catch up or pick a different character, lol. Even creative posing couldn't very easily hide the difference in our body sizes (not just height but builds too). But anyway, I just thought I'd offer the suggestion!

But anyway, I just thought I'd offer the suggestion!
I appreciate it, and it sounds like a good idea, but im not sure how well I could incorporate it into a Pepakura based project. It's something I'll keep in mind. I've pretty much decided to just deal with my height. As it is now, none of my cosplay friends will be doing T&B with me anyway. I cant get them to watch it. Very frustrating. My one friend would make an excellent Lunatic. And as much as I truely love Tiger, I'm content cosplaying Bunny because of the build, and that means I have a reason to interact with any Tiger cosplayers I'd find. I could be jerk Barnaby, or nice Barnaby, or totally OC and hug Tiger if I wanted. I would atleast like to convince a friend to be civilian Tiger, with his little mask that apparently keeps everyone from figuring out his true identity.

I appreciate it, and it sounds like a good idea, but im not sure how well I could incorporate it into a Pepakura based project. It's something I'll keep in mind. I've pretty much decided to just deal with my height. As it is now, none of my cosplay friends will be doing T&B with me anyway. I cant get them to watch it. Very frustrating. My one friend would make an excellent Lunatic. And as much as I truely love Tiger, I'm content cosplaying Bunny because of the build, and that means I have a reason to interact with any Tiger cosplayers I'd find. I could be jerk Barnaby, or nice Barnaby, or totally OC and hug Tiger if I wanted. I would atleast like to convince a friend to be civilian Tiger, with his little mask that apparently keeps everyone from figuring out his true identity.

That's cool! Definitely makes things easier when cosplaying by yourself. :) That's sad that you can't get any of your friends into it. It's kind of hard to get people to want to try it, what with the silly name and all, haha. But I don't know anyone who gave it a shot and didn't love it. At least from what I hear, the T & B meetups at conventions are filled with fun and silly people, so I'm sure if nothing else you'll make some good T & B friends that way!

---

I was just thinking, I don't remember the official live action suits being mentioned in this thread, so I thought I would post a picture for everyone to see who hasn't yet. They are pretty boss, surprise surprise. As you can see, they had to compromise on some parts of it, but I mean, crap, I'll be damned if these suits aren't sexy as hell!

liveactionsuits.jpg

Last edited:
Hey everybody! I finally finished unfolding Tiger's chest armor!
559587_268927523196590_109947829094561_576949_358273017_n.jpg

Here's the download link: WildTiger_UpperTorso.pdo

Also Here's an updated version of the helmet (I fixed the eyes and actually attached them to the helmet) One problem is that I accidentally deleted a little section on the sides of the jaw on both sides because I thought it was unnecessary. I don't feel like unfolding this for a third time for now, so if you want the missing parts refer to the first version.
New version:
WildTiger_Helmetfacepieces2.pdo

Old version:
WildTiger_Helmetfacepieces.pdo
580715_268939849862024_109947829094561_576951_1243217141_n.jpg

Awesome~ Is this from the model ikkakuro put up? I had issues downloading it from the link he provided

Yes, this is the same model, and the Face-down is another. If it were me, I would work off from the Face-down model because I don't know if the Face-up has the full face shield.

Oh, If anyone can find Tiger's good luck mode, let me know. I found Bunny's a while ago, but I need to figure out where I put it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Soooo.... I finally separated all of the remaining armor pieces for Tiger into separate files, but they still need to be unfolded of course. So here they are:

WildTiger_Abs.obj

WildTiger_Arms.obj

WildTiger_CalfLeft.obj

WildTiger_CalfRight.obj

WildTiger_Cod.obj

WildTiger_Feet.obj

WildTiger_GauntletLeft.obj

WildTiger_GauntletRight.obj

WildTiger_ShoulderLeft.obj

WildTiger_ShoulderRight.obj

WildTiger_ThighLeft.obj

WildTiger_ThighRight.obj

Yes, this is the same model, and the Face-down is another. If it were me, I would work off from the Face-down model because I don't know if the Face-up has the full face shield.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Soooo.... I finally separated all of the remaining armor pieces for Tiger into separate files, but they still need to be unfolded of course.

I plan on making the face down version, and if i can, rig it to slide upward, we'll see. Thank you for posting it, I've downloaded both versions, just in case.

Edit: I tried separating the parts for bunny, but its a bit beyond me. I wanted to pull my hair out. Maybe i'll give it another go when its not 5:03am
----

Yay progress, Look at all those pieces.. oi. I'm going to have to find some tutorials on Blender to figure out how to break down Bunny. I think I will save these ones of Tiger for reference. Just seeing your progress makes me so excited~

Last edited:
Awesome to see this thread getting lots of progress once again! I've actually scrapped my previous Sky Helmet, and I'll be working on a V3 in a couple of weeks! Gonna be redoing various other parts of the costume as well, like the gauntlets, kneepads, boots and jetpack. Essentially, a complete rebuild!

And those live-action suits are just amazing! The proportions are just perfect!

Crimson> Thanks for all the hard work in unfolding and working on the Tiger pep files!

I don't suppose anyone's managed to finish a Sky High 3D model that can be turned into a pep file? Hahahah, that'd speed up my entire process a huge ton.

Also, a great method for creating height, but not using platform boots, is cutting slices of thick foam mats (the kind that you use for floors) and stacking them up to the height you desire. They can take almost any amount of weight, and can be disguised under your mecha leg sections!

Awesome to see this thread getting lots of progress once again! I've actually scrapped my previous Sky Helmet, and I'll be working on a V3 in a couple of weeks! Gonna be redoing various other parts of the costume as well, like the gauntlets, kneepads, boots and jetpack. Essentially, a complete rebuild!

Oh noooo but it looked so good! Well, it's exciting that you are planning to make improvements too. Can't wait to see how version 2 turns out! :D

Also, a great method for creating height, but not using platform boots, is cutting slices of thick foam mats (the kind that you use for floors) and stacking them up to the height you desire. They can take almost any amount of weight, and can be disguised under your mecha leg sections!

I thought about doing that, but I wasn't sure of how to adhere the foam to the bottom of a shoe and know that I can trust it's not going to fall apart on me after lots of walking around. Is this a common technique? If so, how is it normally done? I already have my platforms, so it's not an option I'm considering anymore, but I'm very curious.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back