Thorin Oakenshield

Yeah, cost and effort vs just getting some other old fur. I think my using the whole fur jacket was sound in theory, but the practicality of it doesn't seem as solid. I tried the RIT dye to no avail a few weeks ago, then I tried the upholstery spray fabric dye, which worked a little, but made it plastic-y. I was hoping for an easy solution, but the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking the easier solution is to jump tracks and just buy fur that's already the color I need.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Its totally worth the motivation! Here is mine unfinished yet as i still have to make some details. Them boots...
DSC_0177.JPG

Looking awesome, Gorevash!

SOOOO, I had a bunch of real life get in the way, and moved 800 miles, and lost about a month of costuming time. Then I made Dark World Odin. Now I'm back to Thorin, trying to finish it before Dragoncon, so time is cutting close. Here's Odin because I think it turned out boss and I want to show off:
IMG_20140807_200247_921.jpgIMG_20140813_243429_902.jpgIMG_20140813_184748_307.jpgIMG_20140814_104953_733.jpgIMG_20140817_033739_668.jpgIMG_20140818_223520_805.jpg

Now, back to Thorin progress:
IMG_20140819_180010_056.jpgIMG_20140819_233046_222.jpg Quilted some sleeves yesterday. Today I am tackling the velvet embossing. Wish me luck!

IMG_20140821_130322_973.jpgIMG_20140821_134438_590.jpg
Embossing got off to a rocky start but I finally got into the swing of things and my pattern got less janky. Luckily the more janky areas will be covered by the leather coat. Also sketched out my kneepad design and will get to that shortly.

Inching toward the finish line.
IMG_20140822_144220_639.jpgIMG_20140822_152926_321.jpgIMG_20140822_152112_553.jpg
Finished embossing the velvet and I never want to do that again. Also finished the kneepads. The third picture is just stuff pinned to the dressform, my sleeves are not attached yet, and the front of the armor is really heavy and slipping down, so I need to come up with some way to distribute the weight. Also need to actually sew the velvet jacket, it's just the fabric pinned on for the picture, it'll be shorter. I'm just happy it's starting to resemble something halfway wearable.
Gotta tackle the boots soon. I already have the straps attached, just gotta do the fur.

The embossing looks spectacular! And wow, it's really starting to come together. I can't wait to see it finished. :)

The embossing looks spectacular! And wow, it's really starting to come together. I can't wait to see it finished. :)
Thank you! And dude, I am so ready to see this thing done, I am so sick of working on this, I want it done already!

Update: Finished the pants, just finished the boots about two minutes ago, starting in on the belt.
IMG_20140824_180836_435.jpg These are so huge and fluffy. They at like 4" to my legs and probably another 4" to my foot size!

Homestretch!
I just need to attach the sleeves, put the buckles on the bracers, make some hair beads, and weather it all. Didn't get to make any weapons or the shield, but whatever.
But before the sleeves, please enjoy this complementary ticket to the gun show:
IMG_20140825_240658_372.jpg

Ahahaha I love the gun show pic, and the boots with the bare, shapely legs. ;)

I'm on the homestretch for my build too, though I'm not sure I'm going to have enough time to weather everything, ugh. Maybe I can take some sandpaper in the car, though I can't exactly paint it there, lol. But maybe at the hotel!

Ahahaha I love the gun show pic, and the boots with the bare, shapely legs. ;)

I'm on the homestretch for my build too, though I'm not sure I'm going to have enough time to weather everything, ugh. Maybe I can take some sandpaper in the car, though I can't exactly paint it there, lol. But maybe at the hotel!

Yeah, obviously the first pic is pantsless Thorin and the second was taken during his bro phase in college in which the dwarf cut the sleeves off everything and played frisbee a lot.

Yes, weather it in the car! And yes you dang well CAN paint it there! I've done all sorts of stupid things AT con before and so can you! We once made a big bowl of fake blood while sitting out front of the Hyatt in some bushes. We neglected to consider bowl volume in relation to carrying it back without spilling any... :/

BTW, wearing this Friday evening for Evening at Bree. Pretty sure there's going to be like 20 Thorins there and I am happy to be one of them!

Okay, back to work!

I love the quilted sleeves. It's amazing how much that teensy bit of sleeve makes a huge difference in the overall look of the whole thing. I'm glad the velvet embossing went well. That was hands down my least favorite part of the process for my Thorin costume and I hope you have far less frustration!

So much envy for both your fantastic Odin armor and your trip to Dragoncon...

Finished my costume with time to weather it! Had a blast wearing it even though it was not the most comfortable costume. Mainly the beard was bothering me, honestly. I think I've got a mild allergy to spirit gum, so I stopped using it after this night for the rest of the weekend and I felt much better.

thorin1small.jpgthorin2small.jpgthorin3small.jpgthuggingsmall.jpg
I'm already planning adjustments to the costume. I need to change the silhouette of the leather coat and fox the armor, but I'm very happy with it overall. Especially the boots, they were really comfy and had a good shape. I also want to make myself a shield and a weapon.

Spectacular!

have you tried something like Pros-Aide as an adhesive? It's medical grade, so maybe you wouldn't have a reaction to it.

That looks awesome! Really well done.

Very nice! One of the best Thorins I've seen to date.
Thank you both! :$

Spectacular!

have you tried something like Pros-Aide as an adhesive? It's medical grade, so maybe you wouldn't have a reaction to it.

Yeah, that's what I used after that first day. Well, that in combo with wig tape. The creme kind that comes in a little pot works better for facial hair than the bottle liquid kind, though the liquid kind works great for me on ears! I'm going to get a sweat-blocker to use on my upper lip, it's my only big problem area at this point.

It just sucks to spend money on stronger spirit gum only to have your face say NOPE, but a friend's buying it off of me, so no big loss.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back