Thor: The Dark World (Post-release)

Incredibly fun and wildly entertaining movie! Just a HUGE improvement over the first Thor. Has some flaws but all of which I overlooked easily. This felt like an comic book TV cartoon put to the big screen, similar to how I felt about X2. I left the theater with TDW feeling much more satisfied than IM3 but I did enjoy both movies immensely. I didn't think the humor was out of place, I actually thought it worked really well throughout. And for the MCU geeks, this was easter egg heaven - Infinity stones, GotG tease, Cap's hilarious cameo, oh me oh my!

Just shows the RT scores continue to be really out of touch with what the general audience finds entertaining.

Last edited:
Fantastic movie, I really loved it! It was a great follow-up from the first movie and The Avengers, and both Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston did not disappoint.

I have a few questions and am hoping that someone could enlighten me. I'll use the spoiler tag for now despite this being a post-release thread as I guess there are still some people who have yet to see the movie...

1. Can we confirm that the container emitting a red glow in the scene with the Collector is actually the Aether? How the heck did it become a jewel or whatever it is now in that vessel? Wasn't there actually a lot of the stuff before within Malekith?

2. The scene with Frigga in Loki's cell. Was that actually her? They had this great discussion full of feeling but when Loki touches her hands she fades away with an effect that looks very much like his illusion powers. Was this his way of showing he still cared for her by having a kind of imaginary "talk" with her? Or...

3. Does Frigga (or did Frigga) have similar powers? She somehow made a double of Jane to fool Malekith. And if she was forbidden by Odin from visiting Loki in the dungeon, could she have used this power to project herself to him instead? Or at least they possess some technology to this end.

4. Seriously, what was the deal with Selvig? Wasn't he and Jane and Darcy still tasked by S.H.I.E.L.D. (or at least supported by them) to continue their research into the wormhole phenomena? Did he get the boot after they lost the tesseract and the whole free energy project? It was a little weird to see him high on meds and running around Stonehenge nekkid...

Nonetheless, a thoroughly enjoyable movie! :D

So the cosmic cube/tesseract is an infinity jem? and so is the aether?

Yeah they didn't explain that the Aether was an infinity stone at all (saw the movie twice and didn't catch any mention towards the end). I saw that it actually was the Aether in that small box on Wikipedia.

Current theory is that the Tesseract is the space gem, the Aether is the power gem, and Loki's spear from Avengers could've been the mind gem, or maybe it borrows its power from the mind gem as it's hard to imagine Thanos would lend Loki one of the infinity stones and risk losing it.

I really enjoyed this film.... My only gripe about it was that, they didn't say how they recapture the aether???? Or how much damage it did to Asgard, or the other realms? It was just wondering around free... Then it was contained in an incredibly small box... ?

1. Can we confirm that the container emitting a red glow in the scene with the Collector is actually the Aether? How the heck did it become a jewel or whatever it is now in that vessel? Wasn't there actually a lot of the stuff before within Malekith?
Most likely, yes it is. The rest are good questions.
2. The scene with Frigga in Loki's cell. Was that actually her? They had this great discussion full of feeling but when Loki touches her hands she fades away with an effect that looks very much like his illusion powers. Was this his way of showing he still cared for her by having a kind of imaginary "talk" with her? Or...

3. Does Frigga (or did Frigga) have similar powers? She somehow made a double of Jane to fool Malekith. And if she was forbidden by Odin from visiting Loki in the dungeon, could she have used this power to project herself to him instead? Or at least they possess some technology to this end.
I believe Odin mentioned in the movie that Loki inherited or taught Loki her powers. So, yes Loki and Frigga have similar illusion producing powers
4. Seriously, what was the deal with Selvig? Wasn't he and Jane and Darcy still tasked by S.H.I.E.L.D. (or at least supported by them) to continue their research into the wormhole phenomena? Did he get the boot after they lost the tesseract and the whole free energy project? It was a little weird to see him high on meds and running around Stonehenge nekkid...
There was an attempt to explain this, too. Having Loki in your head isn't really a good thing and messes you up.

I have to give my props (pun) to Marvel and this welcome addition of a film. It had just enough of "where we've been" and "where we're going" mixed in with the "where are are now". Sure, it had a lot of humor, but I loved 90% of the jokes and had a blast.

I caught that as well, so if that's the case then I wonder how Hawkeye is doing then.
Hawkeye's a highly trained operative and has probably been adequately taken care of (PSD, etc).

...and he gets to hang around the Black Widow. She'd make me forget Loki.

I loved Thor The Dark World, a perfect balance of humour, character development, story and action.

I've seen it twice and am off to see it again tomorrow!

Saw it last nite. Really good! Mjolnir flying around everywhere looked cool, probly looks even better in 3D. Flipping from real to realm reminded me of Jumper, pretty darn cool! The humor was well balanced, I think it wasn't overdone. Lots of emotion, made it more of a dramatic movie more than a comic book based movie which is cool. Loki had lots of good laughs, all of his illusions were pretty crazy too. I got to the theater late and missed the previews, might have to go back soon. Next week's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. ties into the film, I wonder if they'll show or mention the giant bird-chasing puppy monster in the show haha! Definitely gotta watch it again

Saw it last nite. Really good! Mjolnir flying around everywhere looked cool, probly looks even better in 3D. Flipping from real to realm reminded me of Jumper, pretty darn cool! The humor was well balanced, I think it wasn't overdone. Lots of emotion, made it more of a dramatic movie more than a comic book based movie which is cool. Loki had lots of good laughs, all of his illusions were pretty crazy too. I got to the theater late and missed the previews, might have to go back soon. Next week's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. ties into the film, I wonder if they'll show or mention the giant bird-chasing puppy monster in the show haha! Definitely gotta watch it again

Mjolnir was hilarious and i felt so bad for it... :lol

Yeah I watched the non 3D and Mmjolnir flying towards the camera still made my gf jump cuz she thought she was gonna get hit! We laughed for a good 15 seconds hahaha

I thought this was a great movie. I was so worried going into it, who they were going to kill? Would it be completely dark and depressing? I was totally surprised. The thing I like best about both Thor movies is they actually make me like the character. I always found Thor completely dorky when I was a kid. I would never read his comics, I just didn't care about him (well, I did like Vincent D'Onofrio's Thor from Adventures in Babysitting). But these movies, and Chris Hemsworth, have made me a believer. That and I'm a huge Hiddleston fan. I thought the special effects were great. The kids and I were saying the battle sequences reminded us of Star Wars in Asgard. I also loved the humor. I actually thought Natalie Portman's performance was much better this time. Worlds apart from her atrocious acting in Star Wars. Still, I would have been happier had they killed her off than who they actually did kill :(

Marvel is absolutely KILLING it with these films...I just saw the sequel today and really loved it. Can't say much more than what has already been shared here. Long live Loki!

However...I don't get the concern over the Guardians credit scene...I thought it was awesome. I honestly think that people are going to have their minds blown by that film. It could easily be the most original thing scene on screen in some time. It was weird, the sounds were odd, and the character designs were completely foreign...LOVE that!

J

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back