Thomas Bangalter Daft Punk Helmet Build V2

Re: Thomas Bangalter Daft Punk Encore build

Looks great but i cant help but get distracted and find myself looking and the other things in yourpicturrs, boba and the batarang for instance, keep it going.

Looks great but i cant help but get distracted and find myself looking and the other things in yourpicturrs, boba and the batarang for instance, keep it going.

I build a LOT of stuff I don't take progress pics of, mostly because I'm having too much fun making them and I forget to take pictures.:)

I will have a thread for the Boba, but I'll put it up when it's finished.

you pep work is amazingly clean!! daft punk is one of my favorites, keep it up!!!

Next week I am being interviewed for my ideal job: working in an autobody shop.

Even better, an autobody shop that specializes in old fancy cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I emailed the shop some pictures of my work, explaining that basically all of the materials and processes I use are the same used to work on cars........

SO......

I'm taking my Thomas helmet into the shop to show them what I'm made of. So that means this thing has got be as smooth as.....well.....SOMETHING SMOOTH!

7984310705_654d7a0d0d.jpg

7984319432_5754cac699.jpg

7984312375_5050f5732a.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics, I'm still adjusting to my new camera, so I just decided to use my Iphone. I'm lazy.

Also, here's a fun one.

7984315349_f3560d2a30.jpg

(It looks like a Brony threw up in my helmet)

More to come. Hopefully I will come back next week with a new awesome job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant wish you more good luck, im still very far from getting my ideal job. Helmet looks great, again good luck, hope all goes well.

You're my current inspiration man, this work is stunning. i've just started my first ever pep work and i have been doing dung0beetles thomas B 1.6final, not the tron version but i quite like the 1.6, halfway through the pep and its obvious that the scale is wrong for me, still not sure exactly what it should be, the initial scale was H:300mm, W:323, do you have any idea what would be a good scale for the model i'm attempting? I'm going to try installing the full electronics set up (within reason) and i'll be needing some good padding as i'll be wearing it for long periods of time at a festival next year :D (thats the plan anyway)

Any help you can give to this n00b would be ace man, i need it :p

Keep up the good work too, cant wait to see how you progress. You've set a difficult benchmark for me.

Update: I have started again with dung0beetles tron legacy version, I had to do the unfold myself but its coming together so much better, the joins and lines are much easier to match and I'm loving the style, nice one dung0beetle! So will start a thread soon and keep you updated. Good luck on the job man.

Update: I have started again with dung0beetles tron legacy version, I had to do the unfold myself but its coming together so much better, the joins and lines are much easier to match and I'm loving the style, nice one dung0beetle! So will start a thread soon and keep you updated. Good luck on the job man.

Well thank you very much sir. I wish you luck on your build, and I look forward to your thread.

I should have an update soon, the sculpt is about 70% finished.

Looking back at your pep work makes me realise mine still has a lot of room for improvement but I'm going to persist and once I'm done ill upload my work, its slow progress between my job and my music making at the mo. Which whilsut I'm on the topic, I just uploaded my first dubstep tune and would appreciate it any of you guys could have a listen and let me know what you think.

http://soundcloud.com/mrbiggz01

Hoping to finish my pep by this Sunday so will get it on here soon as. Keep us posted about the job too dude.

Last edited:

The build is coming along great, I have just been neglecting to take pics for a while. I'm not very near electronics, the first hurdle will be the molding/casting.

New to this site, and just to let you know, I'm fangasming all over that helmet. I always told myself I'd tackle a Daft Punk helmet before they go on tour again, but I can't wait to see how this one turns out! Your last one was a serious work of art!

New to this site, and just to let you know, I'm fangasming all over that helmet. I always told myself I'd tackle a Daft Punk helmet before they go on tour again, but I can't wait to see how this one turns out! Your last one was a serious work of art!

Thank you very much.

I'll post some more pics tomorrow.

Back to the build.

There really hasn't been any noticeable progress, I'm still in the sanding, filling and shaping stage.

I also received about 5 orders in the past month for stuff, so that may have put a small halt on the work as well! Work, school, eating, and sleeping have been my main priorities.........

I realized today I don't have any " decent" pics of my entire sculpt so here ya go. This helmet was directly in the sun for these photos, but it looks a lot better in person, trust me.

The helmet has been wet sanded to 2000 grit, because sometimes you have to make something perfect in order to figure out what needs fixing. The back of the dome seems lumpy still, despite a ton of filling/sanding........it just never ends.

I'm still wrestling with the whole mold conundrum. Some days I think that the seam line should go from side to side then other days I think it should go from front to back.

Obviously, I still have to get my ducks in a line concerning a lot of things on this helmet.

Pics.

8034115535_23e4734909_c.jpg

8034108858_22dc365e7a_c.jpg

One of the problem areas: the ear canals. They are not perfectly round, and the base of the ear is not perfectly flat. I'll be wrestling with this in the next few days trying to fix it.

8034105872_25c85affc4_c.jpg

And here is the object that has been keeping me from working on this............it was well worth it.:D

8034102646_e28d4ee410_c.jpg

8034098467_82a4e11252_c.jpg

8034093814_966535ce62_c.jpg

More to come.

It's looking good man, the ear cannals look a b,itch tho but remember, there is no such thing as a perfect circle ;) I have faith in your skills tho, that fett helmet is sick! Loving the paint job and overall finish, looks like a well used helm :)
So are you going to use this Thomas b as a master model for molding and casting clones?

So you do a fair bit of commissioned work with the modelling then? I love it man, its ace, gotta admire your efforts. Keep us updated. (So many questions, sorry)

Did you see my build so far? There's a link in my Sig :)

Yup, this helmet will be molded and casted. My first time.......I'm incredibly nervous about it. But, I hope all goes well.

And yeah.....I do a lot of commission work. Right now I'm doing two helmets, and two sets of Daft Punk gloves.

Build looks good man, that is some nice pep work. Trust me, the paper portion is the worst part of any pep project, once you're done you can move onto the fun stuff.

Sadly, I didn't get the job.........but that just means I can devote more time on my props!

So, a couple of things to get out of the way.........This will be a two piece mold with removable ear pucks because of a suggestion from a client. Yes, this mold already has a completed helmet being made out of the mold...but it's not the same thing we are used to seeing...but I'll talk about that later.

8101681499_c5c905f9f9_c.jpg

Also, I found the perfect product for rounding out the ear canals! Plumbers epoxy putty! It comes in a tube at Home depot by the PVC pipe and it is a workable putty that can be sanded about 30 minutes after you apply it! Works great. It has a working time of about 4 minutes. Worked wonders for me, although you proably can't see it in these photos.

Also, mid seam. Easy enough. Styrene barrier and a small hobby saw, an idea originating from my good friend PedroAloha.

8101696054_d29fa6e2c8_c.jpg

8101684907_941497ccd2_c.jpg

8101699584_272535eef9_c.jpg

Also, I cut out the mouth. In these photos I hadn't fully finished refining it but it looks much better than this, trust me! My last helmet had a short mouth so I wanted to make sure this thing remedied that.

8101699756_236e71ba29_c.jpg

Also, Boba is finished so I can now devote all of my time to Thomas! I'm not taking any more commissions until January so I now get to relax and work on my favourite robot design.

More to come. Small details to finalize, such as a few more little problem areas I want to clean up. Then, molding! My supplies are en route right now so I am completely stoked! Can't wait........

All i have to say is great, good to see progress, and even better seeing a fett helmet in your post.
Now you can focus your efforts on your build, you can press on, keep it up.

also very nice paint job of the fett.

Its looking amazing man, so smooth! :D i can only dream mine will turn out this good but ill be using you constantly for a reference ;) and hopefully a lot of help lol.

But yours is coming together great man, cant wait to see how your first mold comes off.

I read about a similar technique for the mid seam but using a styrene barrier sounds like a better alternative (props man) will be keeping this in mind if i ever reach the point you are at now.

Mine is still at the stage you last saw, haven't been paid in full off my boss yet (which sucks!) so cant even afford card yet but will get back to it soon.

Keep it up man and keep us posted.

Once again, excellent work :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back