Third time I have had to reset, Anyone know a good spiral cutting technique?

Plokman

Oi this is exasperating maybe you guys can give me advice, I have been trying my best to carve a sort of Scale pattern into the handle I am making. Really it's a set of spiral lines going one way and another set crossing over heading the opposite way, but try as I may I cannot keep the pattern straight hand engraving it. I have basically been taking a Xact-o saw blade tip and given it a slight grove, but I just can't keep it lined up and while the top bunches of diamond shapes come out about the same size I always end up with a bunch of fat ones in the center.

The piece I am carving is a round shape, not quite as smooth as a Dowel but I built it up in segments I drilled out with my hole saws. I am very close to being able to prime the piece for painting I just need this thing to look better, does anyone know of a DIY jig for etching a spiral down a dowel or the like? Kinda got to make what I can at the moment or I would look for a pro jig.

Just to be sure this handle here

ph-0.jpg

was the inspiration only as the Handle I am making is round and not really a diamond cross section it's not wanting to work as well.

Check out gunstock checkering tools, or if you have a lathe, Wagner texturing tools. There are also a ton of pages and videos on checking layouts, those should be helpful!

I've never done checkering or knurling on a dowel, but doing a checkering pattern with the gunstock tools is relatively easy. I don't imagine that doing a dowel would be too difficult.

James

Check out gunstock checkering tools, or if you have a lathe, Wagner texturing tools. There are also a ton of pages and videos on checking layouts, those should be helpful!

I've never done checkering or knurling on a dowel, but doing a checkering pattern with the gunstock tools is relatively easy. I don't imagine that doing a dowel would be too difficult.

James
Thank you for the advice. I hope I can invest in both soon as I do have a lathe but I still have yet to set up my new workshop so it is still in packaging, be so happy to get it running. Honestly the whole Dowel thing is due to the round nature of the piece as it is meant to have a faux Ivory look to it after I finish painting and weathering it but I do have a spare bit of dowel if this piece falls apart or gets any thinner.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back