Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Yea I know, The Car, haven't thought of that in years. People ran in front of that big black beast for an hour and a half, LOL. All the trees you could have jumped behind. It used to be director or at least an AD would say what would happen in real life, then lets make it exciting. Now they just say the heck with it, lets go full comic book. People have super powers even in a normal action movie. Takes me right out of it. And I love comic book movies. But I'm expecting crazy stuff there.

Here's the worst trend out there:

The biopic.

They're simply oscar-bait. To movies are about story telling. I wanna see people tell stories. Create fiction. I would MUCH rather see a documentary about someone instead of these run of the mill impersonations of historical figures.

I remember a few years ago when like, 5 of the 6 pictures nominated for Best picture at the golden globes were biopics. "Blue Valentine" was the other one and it was brilliant. I'll take that over the kings speech anyday.

The entire Best Picture things is sold out IMO. The contenders are always a certain type of movie and they get purpose-built for that reason. Nothing else, no matter how well done at what it is, will stand a chance.

The Dark Knight should have easily gotten BP that year. It wasn't even nominated.

Mad Max: Fury Road should be a contender this year, maybe a strong one. It won't get nominated.

The last time I can remember them stepping outside this stupid mold was Shakespeare in Love almost 20 years ago. And they seemed to be doing that just to deprive Spielberg of the win that Saving Private Ryan rightly earned.

Last edited:
But not quite so instantaneously as we see in Hollywood and not without first carefully determining the exact dosage needed depending on the estimated body weight of the intended target(s).

That's precisely what I'm talking about! They hit the guards with a little dart shot out from their wrist watch and the guard falls to the ground instantly asleep. Now in real life you know he'd be like "WHAT THE... HEY.. WHO SHooottt meeeeeeeeeee..." and then maybe he'd get a little groggy and fall down, but he'd have quite enough time to alert the other guard down the hallway that something just happened.

That's precisely what I'm talking about! They hit the guards with a little dart shot out from their wrist watch and the guard falls to the ground instantly asleep. Now in real life you know he'd be like "WHAT THE... HEY.. WHO SHooottt meeeeeeeeeee..." and then maybe he'd get a little groggy and fall down, but he'd have quite enough time to alert the other guard down the hallway that something just happened.

That's where the whole dosage factor comes into play. Too little and your target might just feel just a little groggy after alerting his buddies that somebody shot him with a dart but would still be up on two feet after him and his buddies take out the intruder. Too much and the guard is not only out in a heartbeat but is never waking up ever again.

Last edited:
Oh and while we're on the subject... One Shot Knockouts... good guy gets into a fight with a group of bad guys and only hits each of them once and they are all knocked out on the floor around him. And it don't matter where he hits them... the shoulder, the stomach, the leg... they just fall over unconscience!

Oh and while we're on the subject... One Shot Knockouts... good guy gets into a fight with a group of bad guys and only hits each of them once and they are all knocked out on the floor around him. And it don't matter where he hits them... the shoulder, the stomach, the leg... they just fall over unconscience!
Same with one-shot killing with a pistol or rifle. Most wounds in wartime are non-lethal. There's a reason you see a pretty low % of deaths in combat. You gotta hit just the right spot on a person. Heck, even center head wounds can be survivable sometimes.
But as for your point, I totally agree. I've seen plenty of fights in my life, even been in a few. I've never, EVER seen someone knocked completely out. At best, the other guy is laying on the ground with his bell rung really badly, now loopy and wondering what happened. I was in a nasty bar brawl once and hit a guy right upside the head with a barstool. They don't break like they do in the movies. He went down like a sack of 'S' but I never knocked him out, I just hurt him so bad he wasn't gonna come up until I was long gone, which is all I ever intended for him...

I'm still trying to figure out where all these fruit stands come from during a car chase. I don't think I've ever seen a mobile fruit stand in any town or city I've ever lived in, but for some reason, they pop up all the time in a movie from out of no where and fruit goes flying everywhere! Sure it looks cool... and recently they've replaced the fruit stands with things like trucks carrying chickens or portable water refills. I think the fruit stand replaced the guys carrying the pane of glass across the street that always seemed to get run into in the keystone cops days!

Buddy/Cop film with the obligatory bonding over drinking/karaoke/dancing ... even more so if done in montage.

I thought this one died until I saw The Heat.

the-heat-sandra-bullock-melissa-mccarthy.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back