They are remaking "Total Recall"? Really?

It's odd that they would remake an adaptation.. I, too, would rather see a more direct adaptation of WCRIFYW, .

its just easier for people to get the name recognition of total recall starring arnold......how many people actually know it was "based" on anything rather than just being an arnold flick? probably not many.

patrick swayze was another name oringinally involved before arnold got on board....
i think if they go back to the original thinking, get an average joe. make it more about is it a dream or not....that you cant tell really, it would be a really interesting movie...something i would check out.

What is really funny is that Piers Anthony wrote a novelization of Total Recall when it came out. Is this an oxymoron . . . an adaptation of an adaptation? Isn't it simpler to release a collection of PKD short stories and link the main story as the source material?

They did the same damn thing with Copola's Dracula. Robert Silverberg did a novelization . . . again an adaptation of an adaptation. Did they stray so far from the source material a novelization was necessary? Hello, is there something wrong with that little story a guy named Bram Stoker came up with? Oh, no, that's right, now it's "Francis Ford Copola's Dracula."

Oh, no, that's right, now it's "Francis Ford Copola's Dracula."
What's really ironic about that is the name of the film is actually Bram Stoker's Dracula.

And they did actually re-release Stoker's original novel alongside the film, that's the version I have. Has the same cover as the film, but it's Stoker's work inside.

I really need to read some of this old PKD stuff.

There is no way that they could do a straight adaption of "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale". The story takes place primarily in one location, and is a 'shaggy-dog' story. The movie expanded on things that were just mentioned in the story.

David.

EFNY is a completely different animal to Total Recall. Sure it looks dated now but it's a bona fide classic. If the studios should take anything at all from it it should be to spot new talent with original ideas.

I would like to see it remade--with that approach--perhaps with someone like Paul Giamatti in the lead.

That would be inspired casting, Pauleysolo, Giamatti is a such a great actor. I expect the studio will take the 'safer' route and cast with the same mindset that saw Swartzenegger in the role though.

What's really ironic about that is the name of the film is actually Bram Stoker's Dracula.

And they did actually re-release Stoker's original novel alongside the film, that's the version I have. Has the same cover as the film, but it's Stoker's work inside.

I really need to read some of this old PKD stuff.

Yeah, I was just being a smarty tail.

I just don't get why there would have been a novelization of a movie that's based on a book.

As far as remakes go, Planet of the Apes was a really weird way to go. It was not closer to the book, which was really called Monkey Planet, and it didn't try to recapture the essence of the original, except for borrowing the title. In fact, it was so different from both previous incarnations, it very well could have been retitled and wouldn't have even considered to be plagarism.

I typically like Tim Burton, but he was an odd choice for that one.

Probably the same reason they feel the need to remake "Escape From New York" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0984981/

-Tyler
Easy money is why they remake these movies.

But if I recall correctly, "Total Recall" was a movie, BASED on the novel "We can remember it for you whole sale."

At the end of the day, it was a fun movie, with Sharon Stone and Micheal Ironside in it, not a great movie, but fun none the less

They want to remake it, fine, but are they making a movie based on, "Total Recall "or "We can remember it for you whole sale."?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Nope, it's not "Hollywood" doesn't have new ideas, the Screen Writers Guild has hundreds of new scripts, new villains, new unique story lines, and of those hundreds at least a dozen a year should be made into a film.

The problem is... the producers. They will not put money into a new idea, they're formula for making money is to remake something that was already successful. They won't take a chance on a new super hero because it's risky. It's a far less risk to remake something that was already a hit.

I read an article about this a while back and it mentioned that one of the changes from the original movie and possibly the novel (never read it so I can't say for sure) is that it will no longer be set on Mars. I forget where they're changing the location to but Mars is definitely not it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back