The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

Nintendo has finally explained the NES Mini being discontinued.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/28/15474358/nes-classic-discontinued-why-nintendo

Basically, they claim they do not have the resources to continue making them.

Maybe they could find the resources if they stopped producing so many color variations and special editions of 3DS...:rolleyes
I've heard that the companies who licensed their old games gave it to them at a pretty sweet deal, not predicting this much demand.

And as soon at the sales went crazy, they pulled back on the licenses.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

yeah I agree. remember when a game system was out for years then a "special" edition color came out in a bundle?. now everything is RUSH RUSH RUSH. I really think Nintendo is going to go belly up like sega.... :(
Nintendo is huge. They have so much money. At this point, the only thing that makes money for sony is the PlayStation. Everything else has tanked.

But Nintendo is so stinkin' rich they could both several generations of consoles and still be fine.

Frankly, if Volkswagen can still be operating, Nintendo need not worry

Nintendo is huge. They have so much money. At this point, the only thing that makes money for sony is the PlayStation. Everything else has tanked.

But Nintendo is so stinkin' rich they could both several generations of consoles and still be fine.

which is why i'm questioning why they claim their resources are stretched.

unless they are playing the multi billion dollar penny pinching 'feel sorry for us' card...something feels off.

which is why i'm questioning why they claim their resources are stretched.

unless they are playing the multi billion dollar penny pinching 'feel sorry for us' card...something feels off.
I really do think it's about the licensing.

I actually laughed after watching the Nintendo "click" video's... :lol and I agree, to me, they "seem" to be struggling. for whatever reason something does feel off.

Made my own desktop arcade. I 3D printed the cabinet. It uses a Raspberry PI 3. Lots of fun

IMG_0528.PNG

Yep. You can put just about anything on it.
I dont know anything about 3d printing, but how much plastic, or whatever thats made out of, cost. Like how much did it cost to make that, minus the raspberry pi? Totally awesome work by the way, I think thats great.

Didn't Nintendo just burn through half their reserves dealing with Wii U lack of success?

In 2012 it was reported that Nintendo had about $10.6 billion USD in cash reserves. (Wii U released end of 2012)

http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-doomed-not-likely-just-take-look-how-much-money-its-got-bank/

In 2016 it was reported that Nintendo had about $4.6 billion USD.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/3859716-deeper-look-nintendos-earnings

Granted, I am not a financial professional. Maybe I'm missing something. But that's how it looks from my perspective.

if they don't release much worth owning on it, and the third party releases are less than interesting to try...

they can't expect to survive on a few mario titles released a year.

if they don't release much worth owning on it, and the third party releases are less than interesting to try...

they can't expect to survive on a few mario titles released a year.
If there are ten brilliant titles for the switch, then it's perfect for me.

The GameCube was like that. I'd say that some of my favorite games of all time we're for that system. And that makes it worth it

Soo... I really want to jump on the raspberry bandwagon with the ultimate goal of playing Nintendo to n64 games plus arcade greats like killer instinct mortal kombat etc.

how hard is the raspberry pi3 to setup? Can you use a MacBook to set it up?

Do you need the heat sinks fans etc? I see all kinds of accessories. I like to tinker and I've fixed video game systems for several friends of friends... but I am ignorant to code etc.

How hard are these things for a noob. What do I need, and what do i need to know?

Ps...
The switch is the best selling system Nintendo has ever made and they can't crank them out fast enough...

I wonder if the Nintendo problem is the same thing that Bethesda claimed with the Pipboy edition of F4? They already made X amount of units and it would take a big bunch of cash on their end to get a factory to do more?

I dont know anything about 3d printing, but how much plastic, or whatever thats made out of, cost. Like how much did it cost to make that, minus the raspberry pi? Totally awesome work by the way, I think thats great.

It took almost one whole 1kg roll which cost me 30.00. The monitor was 70 bucks. Speakers and buttons were a couple of buck each. I have about 150 in it give or take.

Soo... I really want to jump on the raspberry bandwagon with the ultimate goal of playing Nintendo to n64 games plus arcade greats like killer instinct mortal kombat etc.

how hard is the raspberry pi3 to setup? Can you use a MacBook to set it up?

Do you need the heat sinks fans etc? I see all kinds of accessories. I like to tinker and I've fixed video game systems for several friends of friends... but I am ignorant to code etc.

How hard are these things for a noob. What do I need, and what do i need to know?

Ps...
The switch is the best selling system Nintendo has ever made and they can't crank them out fast enough...

Its not hard to set up. You basically download a file that sets everything up. You put the roms on a thumb stick and stick it in the pie...ala Jason Biggs...hee hee. It copies everything automatically. I haven't put the sinks on. The best thing is you can use a new Xbox one controller with them. Playing the original Star Wars arcade game with a thumb stick was awesome. I'm not sure about a Mac. There is an extremely helpful Facebook group that answered a lot of my questions. Really nice folks.

I picked up "Little Nightmares" for my Xbox One...kind of by accident.

I had preordered it on a whim a few months back, and completely forgot about it. Didn't remember until I got the message that it shipped from Amazon.

I got the special edition which comes with a little figure of the protagonist in the game, a CD soundtrack, a poster, and some stickers. The inside of the box can be kind of folded out to make a bit of a diorama for the figure, which is cool...and I think that's where you're supposed to use the stickers.

The game is pretty cool. It's atmosphere is pretty creepy, and without any jump-scares at all it manages to be pretty disconcerting, particularly when playing it in the dark. I'm only about an hour into it, but I've already been really enjoying it. It's supposed to be a relatively short game, but at $30 shipped with the Prime discount on Amazon, even if it's only 5-6 hours it will be worth it to me.

I started playing Fallout 4 again and I have to say I love getting the power armor early. A lot of people hate that though for some reason. I like that they give it to you along with a minigun and you're thinking (first game anyway) "Yes! I'm going to destroy these stupid raiders!" and then a Deathclaw pops out. That was a great scripted event.

I started playing Fallout 4 again and I have to say I love getting the power armor early. A lot of people hate that though for some reason. I like that they give it to you along with a minigun and you're thinking (first game anyway) "Yes! I'm going to destroy these stupid raiders!" and then a Deathclaw pops out. That was a great scripted event.

What mitigated the Power Armor being introduced too early was slow road to upgrading it's parts, finding other power armors in the game and reaching a certain level where the Enclave Power Armor could be retrieved. While I wish it didn't break the lore as much as it did, I was ok with it in the end.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back