The style thread

This style, no collar shirt or unbuttoned button up, vest, jacket with jeans or honestly many other pants is one of my favorites and in my mind blends into the western style joberg described. This style works very well with and without numerous hats. To be honest, I think that it reaches across numerous ethnic and historical styles. Irish, British and Scottish (change of pattern, material, weave, and hat), 50s Greaser, Cowboy, 80s alternative/new wave, it just keeps going. I will try to post some examples in a single post of how it changes around the world but contains the same elements.
We're lucky that hats are not so much in fashion anymore...but for a few exceptions of course. Hollywood has played, over the decades, an important role in terms of trends in Fashion. People, generally, don't know how much the impact the movies have made on their daily fashion choices. We should remind also that Fashion is all about appropriationo_O I know, I know...a loaded word nowadays.

When you study Fashion, you'll have to look at historical costumes, traditional ones, old paintings, drawings, pictures and the likes. Fashion designers will take this detail from one outfit/costume and another detail from another costume (from another country, era) and design a "new" piece of clothing. The Army, Navy, Air Force from our country and others gave us ideas and it's a matter of time when the cross-over happens and become "fashion";) Lots of men's fashion is copied from a military design...period. For women; it's completely different and in another world

We're lucky that hats are not so much in fashion anymore...but for a few exceptions of course. Hollywood has played, over the decades, an important role in terms of trends in Fashion. People, generally, don't know how much the impact the movies have made on their daily fashion choices. We should remind also that Fashion is all about appropriationo_O I know, I know...a loaded word nowadays.

When you study Fashion, you'll have to look at historical costumes, traditional ones, old paintings, drawings, pictures and the likes. Fashion designers will take this detail from one outfit/costume and another detail from another costume (from another country, era) and design a "new" piece of clothing. The Army, Navy, Air Force from our country and others gave us ideas and it's a matter of time when the cross-over happens and become "fashion";) Lots of men's fashion is copied from a military design...period. For women; it's completely different and in another world
Well, we broached the subject of loaded words, so now loaded names and since it is against policy to talk politics, we will ignore why this intensely successful designer got his start in military uniforms... Hugo Boss.
Yes I've seen that on cars and such and a room that is totally dark. When they make a t shirt let me know, ; ) Make great night camo.
My bad, it exists but only as a museum piece they made to showcase the tech:

Another trick is how to know your pant's waist size...if you buy vintage, label are gone and you don't want to go and try the pants in a change-room. All you have to do is to close/button the pants and put your elbow at one end of the waist and jam the palm of your hand in the other end.
If it fits; it's your waist size.;)(y)

Another trick is how to know your pant's waist size...if you buy vintage, label are gone and you don't want to go and try the pants in a change-room. All you have to do is to close/button the pants and put your elbow at one end of the waist and jam the palm of your hand in the other end.
If it fits; it's your waist size.;)(y)
So me and Steve here want to know, does this work "you know, for kids with meatier hands"?

20230118_110141.jpg

Shirts: Lots to choose from: stripes will make you look slimmer and taller. Know your size: packaged shirts have all of the info at the front of the package: collar size first followed by sleeve length (generally). My neck size is a 151/2" and my sleeves are a 37" in length.

Whether you choose a French cuff (you'll need a pair of cufflinks) or a simple buttoned cuff, that shirt sleeve will show at the end of your jacket sleeve.

Egyptian cotton is the best in the World; light weight and extremely durable. When done, cleaned properly, it'll last you a life-time.
Expensive, of course; you should try to have one very expensive piece of clothing (or hardware) in your wardrobe. Whether it's a $250 shirt or silk tie, shoes or watch even (careful with big ostentatious pieces; it's hard to put a shirt sleeve over thoseo_O).

Lots of men have a tendency to remove the collar stays (rigid pieces of metal or plastic) that keep the point of your collar sharp and straight!
I don't know how many times I've seen people on T.V. wearing their shirt with a curly collar:(
If you don't know how to use an iron (or ironing a shirt for that matter), go to your local dry-cleaner and they'll do it for you for a fee.

Shirts: Lots to choose from: stripes will make you look slimmer and taller. Know your size: packaged shirts have all of the info at the front of the package: collar size first followed by sleeve length (generally). My neck size is a 151/2" and my sleeves are a 37" in length.

Whether you choose a French cuff (you'll need a pair of cufflinks) or a simple buttoned cuff, that shirt sleeve will show at the end of your jacket sleeve.

Egyptian cotton is the best in the World; light weight and extremely durable. When done, cleaned properly, it'll last you a life-time.
Expensive, of course; you should try to have one very expensive piece of clothing (or hardware) in your wardrobe. Whether it's a $250 shirt or silk tie, shoes or watch even (careful with big ostentatious pieces; it's hard to put a shirt sleeve over thoseo_O).

Lots of men have a tendency to remove the collar stays (rigid pieces of metal or plastic) that keep the point of your collar sharp and straight!
I don't know how many times I've seen people on T.V. wearing their shirt with a curly collar:(
If you don't know how to use an iron (or ironing a shirt for that matter), go to your local dry-cleaner and they'll do it for you for a fee.
Do I remove the collar stays while washing or ironing and then put them back? I lose some in the wash.

Do I remove the collar stays while washing or ironing and then put them back? I lose some in the wash.
I take mine out for washing/drying because, as you noted, I often lose them through the wash/dryer…

As for ironing, I only take out the plastic ones to avoid them melting. I have a handful of shirt with metal collar stays, and they are fine under the iron heat.

Sean

We're lucky that hats are not so much in fashion anymore...but for a few exceptions of course.
I guess I'm an exception. :p
j2pw4J5.png

I first got into wearing hats around 2015-ish? Can't remember what got me into doing it. I think it's because at the time I'd gained some weight and was looking for a way to dress nicely and improve my confidence. I recall one person once telling me that they loved how confidently I wear my hats, "with no sense of irony at all." Hats are meant to be a part of EDW. They're not a costume piece, and if you think of them as one, you'll never be able to pull it off. I don't wear felt hats as often as I used to, more for special occasions now. In the last couple years I've gotten more into caps, both wool and regular. My face changed shape after I lost about 60 pounds, and with it my tastes when I look in the mirror. Yesterday, I got a very nice repro WWII N-3 cap in the mail. Even has stamped numbers and "USN" on the inside! Haven't gotten a chance to snap a pic, yet. It used to be that I never wore hats. Now, I rarely leave the house without one!
8PWTZvN.png

ZtIURyE.png

0r7BZKx.png

PStTIsX.png

And yes, I use the pipe. I have a small collection actually. In health terms, pipe smoking is the least damaging because you're simply "tasting" the tobacco, not inhaling the smoke like cigarettes. You puff, not suck.
yEVObxw.jpg

I'm pretty much still a jeans and t-shirt guy, though I do enjoy collecting original and repro military-wear. Among the outerwear I've picked up over the years is an LL Bean A-2 (pictured above with the Quint cap), an unlabeled repro G-1 (the leather is buttery smooth, but I'm terrified to wear it in case it rips), an original J1 Canadian Army parka, a Bronson repro USN A-2 deck jacket, and a few wooly pullies like this original unissued British Commando sweater. All are pictured below in order:
mxWrcSU.png

WeB9bo2.jpg

30zoFA0.png

zjhdwpM.png

I'm also into wearing logger boots, and other mid-calf leather lace-up boots. I'm a utilitarian kind of person. I like my coats warm and full of pockets, and my boots sturdy and dependable. I've found logger boots to be very comfortable and reliable other the years, though I've picked up some others for harsher weather, like my Bean Boots and Corcoran paratrooper boots. I'm particularly fond of Carolina brand loggers. They're pricey, but last several years. The last pair I had lasted about five or 6 years and I had to throw them away because I couldn't get the stink out of them, not because they were worn down or uncomfortable.
r9G9CFK.png

I am seeing a large number of high end suits being worn as pegged pants, rolled or folded and obviously higher than I would assume is proper and the bottom is constricted vs the pant leg immediately above it. Can you cover slack length vs ankle with any exceptions like maybe that is a style (possibly for dancers?)? I just personally don't like the genie pants look even if it is supposed to look like you were going off trail but am willing to be wrong. I admit I was the pegged jeans gen in the 80s.

I tend to put the buckle of my belt at the side of my pants (one loop over to the right) to avoid the bulge of it deforming the front of my jacket

I do this exact same thing except I switched to the side because the buckle tends to dig into you when you sit and it's uncomfortable over long periods of time. It also just looks cooler.

As far as suits go, I don't dress up often but I do know the basics. The trend now is to go for a relaxed and skinny fit but that doesn't work for everyone. A good suit should cut a sharp silhouette on a figure. That skinny Euro look has never looked good to me on squarer, stockier people. However, the best advice I've ever heard for general suit-wearing was that all men should have five suits with matching trousers in these colors: blue, grey, brown, black, and cream. With a set of black and brown shoes, you can mix and match between any one of those articles and will always look good. I don't really like button up shirts, so my go-to outfit when I need to dress "decently" is what I call the "Steve McQueen," blazer with turtle neck and slacks. Never fails.

As ties go, the length should never run shorter than your torso as it makes you look wider, and should ideally never run past your belt line. Ideally, it should sit the length of your torso between your collar and waistline as it creates a cleaner front if you go with an open jacket.

Shoes and belt should match in color: brown shoes + brown belt. I would go crazy with that stuff when the band of my watch was matching my belt + shoes (yeah...I know, crazyo_O).

I do something similar but I don't accessorize to any great extent. I like to have things like pocket squares, if I have them, match tie and shoes. I like a graphic element to when I'm wearing that kind of stuff, even if it may not be considered "tasteful." If I wear black, I'll go wearing all black with hints of white or red thrown in as a tie, pocket square, or laces. I like a dress outfit that's reflective more than cohesive, as plebian and unsophisticated as that sounds.

I also wear a hat like CT1138 but typically more in the winter months to keep my head warm. I can't wear caps as I have big ears and my wide brim fedora (an Indy Poet of all things) is more suitable for me. Though I am considering expanding to getting something lighter like a panama for the summers. Like he says, you have to want to wear a hat to look good in a hat. I also get complimented with looking good in my hat because I wear it "unironically."

I do this exact same thing except I switched to the side because the buckle tends to dig into you when you sit and it's uncomfortable over long periods of time. It also just looks cooler.

As far as suits go, I don't dress up often but I do know the basics. The trend now is to go for a relaxed and skinny fit but that doesn't work for everyone. A good suit should cut a sharp silhouette on a figure. That skinny Euro look has never looked good to me on squarer, stockier people. However, the best advice I've ever heard for general suit-wearing was that all men should have five suits with matching trousers in these colors: blue, grey, brown, black, and cream. With a set of black and brown shoes, you can mix and match between any one of those articles and will always look good. I don't really like button up shirts, so my go-to outfit when I need to dress "decently" is what I call the "Steve McQueen," blazer with turtle neck and slacks. Never fails.

As ties go, the length should never run shorter than your torso as it makes you look wider, and should ideally never run past your belt line. Ideally, it should sit the length of your torso between your collar and waistline as it creates a cleaner front if you go with an open jacket.

I do something similar but I don't accessorize to any great extent. I like to have things like pocket squares, if I have them, match tie and shoes. I like a graphic element to when I'm wearing that kind of stuff, even if it may not be considered "tasteful." If I wear black, I'll go wearing all black with hints of white or red thrown in as a tie, pocket square, or laces. I like a dress outfit that's reflective more than cohesive, as plebian and unsophisticated as that sounds.

I also wear a hat like CT1138 but typically more in the winter months to keep my head warm. I can't wear caps as I have big ears and my wide brim fedora (an Indy Poet of all things) is more suitable for me. Though I am considering expanding to getting something lighter like a panama for the summers. Like he says, you have to want to wear a hat to look good in a hat. I also get complimented with looking good in my hat because I wear it "unironically."
This article on McQueen: Steve McQueen's ten ingredients for a killer wardrobe

Doesn't cover everything but a lot. I would add his glasses and a tendency to match his casual wear to his personal physical colors, hair, skin tone.

I am seeing a large number of high end suits being worn as pegged pants, rolled or folded and obviously higher than I would assume is proper and the bottom is constricted vs the pant leg immediately above it. Can you cover slack length vs ankle with any exceptions like maybe that is a style (possibly for dancers?)? I just personally don't like the genie pants look even if it is supposed to look like you were going off trail but am willing to be wrong. I admit I was the pegged jeans gen in the 80s.
Yes, I remember those very well;) Again, it has to be with height and shape...don't wear those if you're 5' and 200 pounds. It's not going to be your best look for sure. Usually; you're going for the "Inverted Triangles" look. That is the shoulders are the base thinning toward the waist (the point) then you're going to the base again, a little below the waist, and to the point toward your legs.
Some have a triangle base at the waist followed by another base below and the point toward the legs...very difficult to find suits, shirts and other looks for that type of person. Stripped suit for sure, large tie (you don't want a slim tie swimming in a big, large chest area).

CT1138: Love the look you've developed along the years. Wearing any type of hat is a matter of habit. People around you know that you're comfortable wearing them. Fashion and style is about attitude and, to a certain extend, Free Speech!:cool:

You dare being you! And that's great...don't forget; fashion designers are not toiling sleepless nights after sleepless nights trying to come up with a design/look. Nope! Fashion is in the street, free to observe, copy and appropriate!
He/she going to look at you people, taking mental, or physical, notes of what the crowds are offering: "Oh, I like the little detail that woman added to her pants or bag or scarf or...same for men. You can also make it unique with little transformations that will not break your bank: changing the buttons of a suit/shirt with more interesting ones. Changing the color of the thread around your button holes, etc...

If I see CT1138 in the street, I would make a mental note of his hat, bomber jacket and pants combo + the great logger boots(y) It all makes sense! He's respecting a certain look that's not far from an official one.
As for the smell of your boots/shoes; some people are putting anti-perspirant on their socks to act as a "Stink Barrier" or products containing Tolnaftate. :)

All good points; colors are really hard to choose for men; especially in the case of a "Mix and Match". That's why you see a lot of women walking the men's clothing isles:) As for pocket squares, the tradition was: same color as your shirt...then it changed to: same color as your tieo_O
I go for the color combo shirt +tie...a little bit of white (shirt) and a little bit of red/dark blue of the tie;)
As for shoes; yes, the basic brown/black and I would add a capped toe laced tan for blue suit in the summer.

Here's Fred with his belt buckle on the side

astaire_fred_-_daddy.jpg

And Tony for good measure...yeah, we didn't invent anything:p

tonycurtis.jpg

Last edited:
This article on McQueen: Steve McQueen's ten ingredients for a killer wardrobe

Doesn't cover everything but a lot. I would add his glasses and a tendency to match his casual wear to his personal physical colors, hair, skin tone.
Yes and, glad to see Steve with the waist coat (vest) combo. The last button should be open; Winston Churchill did it first because of his girth; it was more comfortable to sit down with that trick. So, before that, vests were buttoned all the way;)
Not everyone has the chance/money to spend on a pocket watch...you don't have to have one for pulling that look.
On a side note: suspenders. Wear them with pants designed without their belt loop. Never wear suspender with a belt.

When it comes to fashion, you can never go wrong with a sweater with an obscenely oversized collar, wide shoulder pads, emblazoned with a name brand, and hair styled like a poodle.

8B938A0F-839A-41F4-ACB1-6BDC25A0C5F9.jpeg

“Mockery, shame, loss of personal pride, and discomfort are but temporary…fashion is forever.”
- ALLEY

Last edited:
All I want to know is what color socks do you wear with light blue shirt, blue jeans and brown shoes. Tried to Google it, but got really complicated answers. Black socks look weird to me. I'm guessing some shade of blue. But I am fashionally challenged, ; )

All I want to know is what color socks do you wear with light blue shirt, blue jeans and brown shoes. Tried to Google it, but got really complicated answers. Black socks look weird to me. I'm guessing some shade of blue. But I am fashionally challenged, ; )
Your socks should, most of the time, match the color of your pants...never the color of your shoes. If it's dark jeans, it'll be easier to find the socks...if it's faded jeans, you'll have difficulties to find the right hue. Bring your jeans to the store and experiment. It's difficult to remember an exact color.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back