THE POLTERGEIST CLOWN - WIP thread - finished head page pg.3

Re: The Poltergeist clown - a WIP thread - new pics added

I haven't had much time to work on this guy, but managed to get in another couple of hours today trying to refine the forms and match the screen used. There's still a long way to go until I'll be happy with it and a lot of the areas are still quite unrefined - everything needs detailed, areas need smoothed out and so on.

I always find it helpful to do a direct comparison with the screen used to improve a sculpt - so here's where I am now next to similar (but not the exact same angles) original puppet heads:

comparisonpic2.jpg

You can see the areas which I need to work on right away - I've marked all the ones I can spot with arrows and lines, this will help me when I go back to the sculpt later in the week.

I want to get this one as close as I can before calling it done, hopefully this process will help with that.

If anyone spots an obvious area for correction that I've missed or failed to notice, please do shout up. Don't worry about refinements in the detail or smoothing the skin though, that stuff only happens at the end.

Al

Re: The Poltergeist clown - a WIP thread -a bit more progress post 22

Sorry I don't know if you already said this, but are you going to be doing the evil face as well?

Sorry I don't know if you already said this, but are you going to be doing the evil face as well?

I thought that was the evil face, Man i don't know what it is and i can handle any amount of gore or psychological horror but clowns scare the crap out of me, good job but i am not going to check the progress on this :eek:eek

Hi Pat - no plans to do the evil face for myself, I just want the "nice" clown sitting in a chair in my TV room, but I could do the evil version once this is finished and moulded, the basic structure is the same just the details and expression is different.

Re: The Poltergeist clown - a WIP thread - new pics added

I haven't had much time to work on this guy, but managed to get in another couple of hours today trying to refine the forms and match the screen used. There's still a long way to go until I'll be happy with it and a lot of the areas are still quite unrefined - everything needs detailed, areas need smoothed out and so on.

I always find it helpful to do a direct comparison with the screen used to improve a sculpt - so here's where I am now next to similar (but not the exact same angles) original puppet heads:

comparisonpic2.jpg

You can see the areas which I need to work on right away - I've marked all the ones I can spot with arrows and lines, this will help me when I go back to the sculpt later in the week.

I want to get this one as close as I can before calling it done, hopefully this process will help with that.

If anyone spots an obvious area for correction that I've missed or failed to notice, please do shout up. Don't worry about refinements in the detail or smoothing the skin though, that stuff only happens at the end.

Al

Ob1al, I'm thoroughly impressed with your sculpting skills! This is really looking great. The only thing I noticed in the previous pics you posted was that the space between the eyes is a little too wide, but based on the dotted lines you put on the one eye, you noticed it too and want to do the adjustment. The teeth needed some fixing too, but I see you already improved those. Nice work!

Thank bud - yes, I will be adjusting the eye spacing. The teeth are better than before but still just a quick 2 minute job. When I get dow to doing them properly, I'll zoom in on my screen grabs of the screen used and try to replicate each tooth shape as best I can for a more authentic replica.

Thanks.

Moviefreak - still working on this, it's on the bench. It's basically done now aside from some fine tuning and making the mold.

Too many projects on the go at once!

Here's where I am at with the sculpt:

IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

I've just been working on it on and off in between other prop projects, but I think it's almost ready to mold. Basically just needs smoothed and refined in some areas and I think I will call this one done.

Please forgive the quick felt-tip eyes and markings - I was just playing around one day and couldn't resist getting an idea of what it might look like painted. :)

Last edited:

One more just for fun with (ahem....) a screen accurate wig and hat added...sort of. ;)

IMG_2129.jpg

And here one of the clowns from Planet Hollywood for reference:

DSC01048-1.jpg

Last edited:

Looks really great! It has come a long way since the last pics you posted. It looks as accurate as it can without the "makeup" paint.

I was wondering about this particular project a couple weeks ago. Glad to see you're still working on it.

Is the run still going forward? :)

All things being well, yes I hope so.

A bit more work. Smoothed off some areas and added eyebrows and points above the eyes:

IMG_2130.jpg

Almost ready. I'll start making the mold tomorrow night.

Al

Re: The creepy Poltergeist clown head sculpt - WIP thread

Wow! This is turning out amazing!

What was your reference for the eyebrows? Not doubting their correctness at all, you definitely know what you're doing, just curious how you knew to do them as you can't see them in the screencaps or that planet hollywood pic.... ?

Looking forward to the castings.

Re: The creepy Poltergeist clown head sculpt - WIP thread

Someone was kind enough to send me some pics of an original minus the hat. The eyebrows were a surprise to me too. As you say, they can't be seen with the hat on, but I figured as they were on the original they should go on mine.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back