The Martian Space Suit

I have 2 left. If anyone else wants one send me a PM:

gold%20patches.jpg

I keep seeing preprinted suit fabric of DeadPool and Spiderman in Cosplay pages on Facebook that users then cut out the pattern and sew together. Wondering if we can do that with the Ares Suit.

up date ive primed every thing up in almost the correct colors the visors are all ready for casting, i under estimated this at the beginning i did thin i could get a visor blown or vacuumformd by thats not possibly so im now £500 liter at least after investing in some new kit to vacuum cast the visors so fingers crossed

collar clips to print and im finishing the lamps now

martian helmet

It's looking good, is there a reason why you haven't printed the inner shade? I added tabs and locks to the lamp files so it should go together without a problem.

I've started to mould the inner visor and the tabs didn't work probably the printer setting tho I haven't masters small fiddley bits yet

You will have to drill and tap the screws to assemble the lamps., I was going to model in fake screw heads but I figured that it would be easier this way, so that if anyone wanted to add lights they could.

Some times you just miss things that are right in front of your face. Case in point this engraved text on the rear of the helmet above the oxygen valve:
Missing text.jpg
I added it to my model, a bit too late for the BC-FX Helmet but if anyone who already has my files wants the update message me.:
Missing text.JPG
Also I have begun to create the decals for the BC-FX Helmet( I will release the decals here as well). Does anyone have a clear shot of Warning label on the side of the oxygen valve? I have looked through my reference but nothing is clear.

Some times you just miss things that are right in front of your face. Case in point this engraved text on the rear of the helmet above the oxygen valve:
View attachment 615398
I added it to my model, a bit too late for the BC-FX Helmet but if anyone who already has my files wants the update message me.:
View attachment 615399
Also I have begun to create the decals for the BC-FX Helmet( I will release the decals here as well). Does anyone have a clear shot of Warning label on the side of the oxygen valve? I have looked through my reference but nothing is clear.

Is this the one you mean ?:-

Oxy Valve Label.png

Roughneckone:cool

I am working on the labels and I need help identifying this font:
View attachment 615940
It's the last one but I need to have the correct font.

Looks like it could be Aggie to my eye. Here's a link to where to get it: https://www.linotype.com/344973/aggie-normal-product.html?SiteId=574

AND here it is using linotype's sample text generator:

Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 10.58.11 PM.png

Maybe someone can find something closer, but adjusting the letter width would probably get you 99% of the way there if it's not the exact same font. The main difference I can find is that the middle bar of the E is too short on Aggie. But it could be a start.

-Nick

EDIT: Otomo is close too and has the properly styled E: https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/northernblock/otomo/

Thanks for everyone's help, I have completed the helmet decals, here's a pdf with all of the decals. The files are full size, they should be printed on clear vinyl. I have included a large color field for the front of the helmet, I think the the prop was painted.
22016430052_9a6f90207e_o.jpg
You can see in this photo the dot pattern vinyl peeling off of the helmet.
View attachment Helmet Decals.pdf

Last edited:
Great job yet again Captain!

I've not been able to find the time to progress the wrist computer. I have received a load of parts though which are sat on my desk staring at me.

ecfe6729122ddf0f5141a63722535daf.jpg

Combined these parts should let me run the Pi off the same battery as the lights, add a pulse sensor, detect the battery percentage and wire it all up into a neat final solution.

I'm still waiting on some connectors to come which should mean I then have everything necessary to put together the final hardware and cable it up. Not including the connectors, a bit of wiring and a battery I've spent about £60 on parts for far including the Pi and it's case.

Last edited:
For those of you have been asking for the Helmet 3d files, I have decided not to give them out anymore.

Hey, Thanks for everything else you have shared. Very gracious! A big thanks to everyone else who has shared so much info on this fantastic prop.

I will probably never get a complete suit together, but I figured I would take a crack at the helmet. I started off with the overall dimensions provided by Captain April and then extensive use of all the great reference photos posted.

Martian01.jpgMartian02.jpgMartian03.jpg

Still a long ways to go, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

-GG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back