The Iron Man Project (Mark IV) Launch

ni7ewing

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to both the forums and building with pepakura, so please be gentle with me. you may have seen a posting very similar to this before but I was recently informed I was in the wrong forum when i first posted, so I'm moving everything over here.

That being said, I'd love any feedback I can get because I'd hate to be making mistakes that could obviously be avoided with the experience of others.

I started this project by trying to build a replica Mark IV Arc Reactor by accident.

I had some LED’s lying around and so many spare parts from radio’s and vcr’s that I always joked some day I’d build a robot. The idea turned from joke to personal challenge after a while, and one day I realized…….I have never taken been so obsessed by any one hobby that it became all encompassing. Another way to say that I suppose is that I’ve also never cared about anything enough to see it through.

So I’m setting the long term goal of my Iron Man Mark IV armour being prepared for presentation on Halloween 2013.

I’m trying to hold myself accountable, documenting the process here.

I've started the build by jumping right into the helmet. Sadly at this point I'm guessing it's one of the more complicated pieces to build outside of maybe the hands.

I've sized it according to what seemed to be the combined knowledge I could gain from a few different tutorials online. Printed on 110lb cardstock and have been cutting and gluing for a few days now.

I say a few days because between work, a toddler, and running a house, I don't have a lot of personal time.

I've already noticed a few tiny 'problems' that I'm a little concerned about. Mostly the teeny tiny pieces at joints that are somehow supposed to connect.

I'm also afraid that the helmet is a little too big, but can admit that it's not fully together yet so hopefully it'll come together.

I've been gluing with hot glue and so far have been finding it messy and it usually seems like too much glue sometimes lands between tabs. I assume this is due to my lack of experience with a glue gun.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of photos and beginner information out there of the paper construction stages. I actually found it confusing in the EARLY stages to figure out the mountain and valley folds.

Maybe there needs to be a sticky or menu item on the site that gives newbs the basics......just a thought.

I started doing research on pepping suits and stuff like that almost three or four months ago. It was about two months of solid research and calculations. And to be honest, these types of suits are giant art projects. No matter how much info you get on the process, it's kind of like someone telling you how to better draw the De Vinci. It requires the basics, hard work, talent and probably a couple of *@&^%@%@&# up's.

Generally to help, you'll also need to ask really specific questions like what type of resin and stuff like that. As for the early stages of pepping like vally and mountain folds. Remember all this stuff comes from papakura designer. They should have tutorials on how to fold on their site. As for size, it's almost impossoble to tell until it's finished. Especially if you're not familiar with the piece. I made like three chests once and they all looked to small XD one turned out to be too big, one was ok, one was waaayy to small.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back