The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Kerr, I used some of the delicate surface blue tape by 3M Scotch. It was rather warm outside when I painted the red rings, and as soon as I was done I removed the tape. There was some residue left behind, but more importantly for me, it did not remove any of the blue paint. It wasn't too bad, so I didn't chance it by trying to remove the residue. After the clear coat was applied by the body shop, none of the residue was noticeable.

Here is my side by side test. The order is: Testor's Red, Metalcast Red, Testor's Blue, Metalcast Blue.

This isn't necessarily conclusive, since I did just a quick and heavy, one coat spray of each color on a scrap piece of thin aluminum I had in the garage. I also gave the aluminum a quick "brushed" look using a stripper pad.

IMG_20120709_154545.jpg

IMG_20120709_154603.jpg

IMG_20120709_154618.jpg

IMG_20120709_154623.jpg

I think I still like the Metalcast better... Thoughts?

Hey, question on taping. What is everyone using? I've got the blue of my shield done and I'm happy with it. I'm ready to paint the red rings next, but I'm concerned about laying tape on the blue stuff. The tape I used previously left a little gummy residue on some spots I pulled it off, so I'm afraid it'll do that to the blue. The residue came off with a little alcohol and a rub, but I'm concerned that will just screw up the blue. Any suggestions on a non marking, gummy, tape or how to protect the blue while you do the red?

There's that green "Frog Tape". It's made for masking things to be painted. Supposed to create a barrier where the paint can't get under. I bought some but have never used it yet. I've seen reviews where people say it does work as advertised. I'm not sure if it's low tack like the blue tape.

There's that green "Frog Tape". It's made for masking things to be painted. Supposed to create a barrier where the paint can't get under. I bought some but have never used it yet. I've seen reviews where people say it does work as advertised. I'm not sure if it's low tack like the blue tape.

I use the green tape personally. Love it... has more flex too it for pushing down into grooves without ripping.

Has anyone (with an iPhone or ipad) downloaded The Avengers second screen app yet? There is a great little personnel file on Cap, complete with a 360° view of his shield

026b5161.jpg

d9eecbaa.jpg

2421f800.jpg

1a443c36.jpg

730216f8.jpg

77222f76.jpg

Well painting is done, finally, but now it's time to epoxy the star on. I need some help. I understand how epoxy works, I get that you glue it down, but before I go for this permanent attachment, I would like all the tips you guys can give me please.

Well painting is done, finally, but now it's time to epoxy the star on. I need some help. I understand how epoxy works, I get that you glue it down, but before I go for this permanent attachment, I would like all the tips you guys can give me please.

My stars are cut from spinnings, so I don't have to worry about this, but if your star is flat, no big deal, just make sure to slightly bend it into place so that it sits flat on the shield before glueing it down. Make sure to file the edges so they don't scratch the paint when you are test fitting it.

Yeah, Chris pretty much covered it. Gently bend the 5 points of the star down. Keep testing it on the shield before you glue it down. Pay particular attention to the end points. Make sire they are flush with the surface before you glue down. Once it's attached, you can't really glue it down more.

It might help to have an extra pair of hands to wipe any excess epoxy or JB weld that might ooze out from the sides when you press down on the star.

You can also put some tape down around the star area so that it catches any squeeze out. just make sure to take it off before it dries.

Ok, so I got my blank today, and I am going to start prepping tonight. I plan to take some acetone to it to get rid of any oils or prints that happen to be on it. From there, I will just buff the metal w/a soft shirt or rag. Than tape off. I was going to use Frog tape, but I have seen some of you guys just use plain old masking tape. Isn't that too rough? I understand it may be thicker, but I would think it would pull up paint more than painters or frog tape.

But, aside from buffing and cleaning, is paint the next step, or am I missing some other prep work? This is a great thread for all the cap shields out there. I have read Valors, Joshs, this and any other thread I can find for any extra tips and tricks.

As I'm just going to hang mine on the wall, I'll probably have no issue with it.

Kerr, I am really wondering, did you ever apply a clear coat to the bare metal before painting? I know you talked about paint adhesion and how the clear would help it adhere better, but wouldn't the clear also mess w/the application of the star? Due to not having pure metal to metal contact w/the JB weld? Thanks Kerr.

Here is my side by side test. The order is: Testor's Red, Metalcast Red, Testor's Blue, Metalcast Blue.

I think I still like the Metalcast better... Thoughts?

So no pictures, but I think I like the red on the left and the blue on the right much better.

Just reading over, all the shields look great. But back to personal preference, I like the darker shade of the duplicolor better. I know Chris has done a lot of work to get the most movie accurate colors and provide people w/that information (THANK YOU CHRIS FIELDS!), but looking over everything, I definitely like the Duplicolor shades better. I just am hope I can get it a little more even, because I can tell what you all mean by the "splotchy-ness".

For putting on additional coats, should I be waiting only 5-10 minutes between coats? I have not worked w/anodized paints before, and am used to waiting longer to put on additional coats. And I will be placing the shield as vertical as possible, but should my strokes also be vertical (Seems very strange) or horizontal? I have read some people going w/the direction of the shield on each ring, but that also does not seem right. I would think have the shield vertical, spray in even methodical horizontal strokes.

Kerr, I am really wondering, did you ever apply a clear coat to the bare metal before painting? I know you talked about paint adhesion and how the clear would help it adhere better, but wouldn't the clear also mess w/the application of the star? Due to not having pure metal to metal contact w/the JB weld? Thanks Kerr.

I went ahead and attached the star first thing, then put the Duplicolor adhesion promoter on top of it. It just barely dulls the metal, but in my experience a matte finish clearcoat goes glossy once you put gloss back on it. I've got the blue done already last week and will be doing the red tomorrow. If all goes well and I don't fubar it all up, I'll post pics of the 'pre-gloss coat' state of things.

As for the difference between when I was trying to paint it before the promoter, not sure that there's a significant amount of difference, but I just fubared the blue up the first try anyway. It was too thick to the point of almost being opaque. I backed off a little more in better lighting and a climate controlled paint room at a friend's shop, so it came out better time around. I hope to get the red right the first time.

I bought some on lunch and it's definately less tacky than the blue Delicate Touch paint I was trying previously. I have high hopes there will be no gunk left on the blue when I'm done.

Here is the shield cleaned and......lightly buffed. I feel like the buffing didn't do too much to improve it. I took a few light cotton shirts to it and just went around it as best I could for about an hour. It made it a little better, but also helped in bringing out some oils I hadn't noticed the first time around.

But I did find a little ding on the side that I will have to file down. Here is the shield so far. Also attached is the little ding. Not too much at all, but something to file down. (Sorry for the poor quality, Iphone pics. My actual camera has been broken for a few months, and is low on the priority list)

I went ahead and attached the star first thing, then put the Duplicolor adhesion promoter on top of it.

Thanks Kerr. Is it safe to say that I am now sad reading this answer.....

:cry

I was really hoping to get do the metal work last. Paint first. I will have to come up with something.

You shouldn't be worried. A LOT of people have been attaching the star last. Just when you paint the blue of the center circle either leave spot in the center and along the arms of the star that are unpainted, or go back later and strip the paint in those spots so you are back down to metal. Honestly, you might be better off leaving the star off and painting first. If I were doing another, I would probably go that route.

You shouldn't be worried. A LOT of people have been attaching the star last. Just when you paint the blue of the center circle either leave spot in the center and along the arms of the star that are unpainted, or go back later and strip the paint in those spots so you are back down to metal. Honestly, you might be better off leaving the star off and painting first. If I were doing another, I would probably go that route.

Thanks Kerr. I am definitely going to tape off the star area. I will start the taping process tonight.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back