The Hobbit: Thorin Oakenshield Costume

Like all the details Gant88. I too will be making this costume. I plan on having it for late October for our little comic con here. From what I've looked at so far this costume seems more time and money intensive then anything else. I have looked at as many HQ images i could and racked my brain for easy solutions for some of the materials. Things that I have bought already that I wasn't going to make include Thorins Ring from weta, Orcrist from United cutlery and his bracers because I have no skills will leather work. I will probably buy the scabbard made by UC for Orcrist when it is released. Looking at the pictures here are the plans that have formulated in my head.

For cloak: Dark/black duster (shortened in size) with faux wolf fur added on the trim/hood. (I found some faux furs that almost look identical)

For scale mail/brigandine: In most pictures the base looks like a thick dark blue almost black sweater. My plan is to buy a cheap navy blue sweater cut off hood and shorten sleeves (fold sleeves and sew it once its cut so it has a rounded edge) and then soak it in a dyed black water to make it a little more dark. For the armour pieces, which will most likely be the most time consuming part, I plan to make a few clay pieces and then make mold of them. Once the mold are completed using a resin I will cast a multitude of them. I may paint them or use a metal powder coating but haven't decided on that yet. Drill tiny holes in the resin cast and either rivet or sew them on.

Belt buckle/belt: Same idea for the belt buckle as the armour. For the belt I may have to get one made or look for something similar looking.

surcoat: It almost looks like a sleeveless suede bath robe navy blue in colour (will have to look at that more in detail when i get to that)

Tunic: Plain gray with draw string, I probably wont do much for detail with this as it is the bottom layer and hardly seen.

Fingerless leather gauntlets: Find cheap leather gauntlets cut finger tips off.

Pants: Not quite sure yet

Boots: Hate to say it but I will probably buy a really cheap pair of knock off uggs or something because it would be a nice surface to work with (apparently they are also super comfy). Wrap in dark faux fur, leather strapping around the fur. For the toe piece I will use foam and a hot knife to do the detailing.

Hair: Will probably have to go with a wig of sorts then acquire a female friend to braid said hair for me lol. Beard will be even trickier, my facial hair is patchy at best, looking for good costume beards atm.

I think that covers it all. I will post progress picks as soon as I get more into it. Would love feedback on the ideas! For now have a beautiful pic of my orcrist
fgRVdsz.jpg

Has anyone found fabric/figured out a way to get the design on Thorin's open robe bit? I want to see about embossing some velvet since that layer looks like it could be velvet but i have no clue how id make a stamp for the geometric pattern.

If you are using a velvet that is of synthetics material (not cottons), you can use an iron to emboss to some extent. For a different project, I had a batik wood block stamp of leaves - I laid the velvet pile down on it and pressed with a med-hot iron. Takes practice, though, and it might be tricky with such a large pattern as Thorin's vest. Actually, it could be done, making the emboss stamp if you use a jigsaw and cut pieces of wood... I'd still make a test piece first, though.

As far as I know his layers from skin to outside are:

-Pants are grey, sometimes they seem patterned and sometimes solid. Not sure what's up with them either, but you can only see them briefly in any case.

Yeah, the pants have this odd raised pattern over the knees. You see the same raised pattern look in his blue tunic from when Thorin is still a Prince in Erebor.

They look tricky to make.
pants.jpgUntitled-1 copy.jpg

I think that covers it all. I will post progress picks as soon as I get more into it. Would love feedback on the ideas! For now have a beautiful pic of my orcrist http://i.imgur.com/fgRVdsz.jpg

I love the look of this sword. Did you get official Weta version? I've been thinking about it, but it's a bit of an investment, along with the rest of the costume. Does it come with the scabbard, or have you worked out a way to make one? Or do you just carry it in hand the whole time.

Great work on this thread here, all; so much helpful info!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back