The Herbs Parsley the Lion

KevinD

Sr Member
Here is my scratchbuild of the friendly lion Parsley from The Herbs, a stop motion children's series from the 1960's (in the UK).
He was a nice, chap, despite getting shot in the opening episode! He even went on to star in his own series, The Adventures of Parsley.
Anyway, my model is built onto an armature made from two of those flexible tripods that are made of plastic hemispheres clipped together. He has eyes that can move and a mouth that can open.
Parsley5.jpg
Parsley2.jpg
Parsley1.jpg
Parsley4.jpg
Parsley3.jpg
Parsley6.jpg

Here is my scratchbuild of the friendly lion Parsley from The Herbs, a stop motion children's series from the 1960's (in the UK).
He was a nice, chap, despite getting shot in the opening episode! He even went on to star in his own series, The Adventures of Parsley.
Anyway, my model is built onto an armature made from two of those flexible tripods that are made of plastic hemispheres clipped together. He has eyes that can move and a mouth that can open.
View attachment 1382592View attachment 1382593View attachment 1382594View attachment 1382595View attachment 1382596View attachment 1382597
Hello,
I think your Parsley the lion is fantastic. What are the chances of getting one made for myself ?
Regards,
Mark.

Hi, thank you. I'm afraid I won't be making another. Whilst I'm very pleased with how he turned out, it took absolutely ages and I kept burning myself as superglue and felt react exothermically!

Kevin. This is awesome! I would’ve asked how much it would cost to have something made like this for myself. However I saw your response to an older comment:

I’d love to make one myself. How much would it cost for an instruction manual to make one?

-Alex

Just found this thread, one of my earliest memories was The Herbs oh and that silly old Hector the dog Sasa and Kiki.

You have captured Parsley in all his magnificence

Thank you.
A quick question, looking at my posable wood art figure I am guessing you shortened the limbs, it's prolly been covered sorry but was this what they were OG made from?
Mrs Honeydrew/dew was a fav with all her pups have you made her.. From memory purple dress hat and little pekinese dogs

Funny how you read/see things, out walking dogs and saw a Stingray in our local antiques window!

I didn't shorten the limbs but I made bigger hands. The originals were completely scratchbuilt armatures. These wooden figures wouldn't hold a pose for stop motion work.

Is Miss Lovelace the one you mean? Here is my version.
Lovelace2.jpg

View attachment 1382592View attachment 1382593View attachment 1382594View attachment 1382595View attachment 1382596View attachment 1382597
Hi there I'm making a replica for a customer I was wondering what your head size measurements and what you made the head from.

Hi, I made the head from a plasticard frame filled in with milliput (which is why it was so heavy that I had to use springs at the back of his neck to keep his head up). The eyes were wooden balls and the eyelids felt. The lower jaw was held on with a spring clip.

Hi, I made the head from a plasticard frame filled in with milliput (which is why it was so heavy that I had to use springs at the back of his neck to keep his head up). The eyes were wooden balls and the eyelids felt. The lower jaw was held on with a spring clip.
Thank you. I'll probably make it from polystyrene then coated in wood filler

Do you have a size measurements for his head.

Thank you

The head of mine measures 18cm from back of head to tip of nose. No idea if this is right though. I believe the original prop survives. Good luck with yours.

The head of mine measures 18cm from back of head to tip of nose. No idea if this is right though. I believe the original prop survives. Good luck with yours.
Thank you.

One more question. What mm eyes did you use. And what did you do to pad out his body.
Cotton infill.

Thank you
James

I used quilt wadding to pad out his body (there was some handy, that was the only reason). Can't remember what size I chose for the eyes, but they were wooden beads, readily available in craft shops and in a limited number of diameters, so it shouldn't be hard to find the right ones. I do remember they needed lots of coats of clear varnish to look right.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back