The downfall of physical media ??? ( where do you side ) glad to see it go or not

The value of physical media never left. Its more corporations just telling us the benefits of streaming and downplaying their drawbacks (you dont see Netflix openly advertising the fact that they remove shows and movies from circulation).

People just got lazy and complacent. They started to assume that it would always be there and when it turns out that it's not, they just make excuses for why the things they paid good money for aren't available. It's why I will never, ever pay for any streaming movie like that. If I don't have it on my shelf where I can watch it whenever I want, then I don't need it at all.

I am glad I grabbed the one of the Blu Ray iterations of Star Trek that still has the original visual effects and opening theme as a viewing option.

IMG_1558.jpeg

The streaming versions only include the CGI visual effects that are “aging” faster than the original visual effects and the “re-created” opening theme with a modern orchestra and singer.

How 'Star Trek' Changed Visual Effects History

Last edited:
I am glad I grabbed the last Blu Ray iteration of Star Trek that still had the original visual effects and opening theme as a viewing option.

View attachment 1750662

The streaming versions only include the CGI visual effects that are “aging” faster than the original visual effects and the “re-created” opening theme with a modern orchestra and singer.

How 'Star Trek' Changed Visual Effects History
Which version was that? There is always the bay of e.

It looks like the 50th anniversary should have both, as well.
I recommend grabbing it; just to make sure you have a copy of the original series, as it was presented…you don’t want to be in the position that Star Wars fans are in with access to the Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition only…

Last edited:
My local Best Buy removed their dvd/Blu-ray section about 4 or 5 years ago. It had been several isles and was then reduced to an island display of new movies, so maybe 20 different films overall at any given time.

While I het to admit defeat, it makes economic sense... the stores don't have to buy AND stock all those DVDs/Blu-rays (many of which will never sell)... money saved.

The studios don't have to "make" the physical media, as most of it is on demand/ streaming... money saved.

...which is better for the environment, in a small fractional way I guess.

It gives the studios greater control over their content (whether this is good or bad, I'm not arguing that point)...

And those of us who frequent TheRPF have to remember that we are the MINORITY of consumers.

"I want my Star Trek original TV series with its original, period specific effects and NO CGI updates!" .... said no average consumer, ever.

Let me be clear: It's NOT WRONG to preserve and hold the original TV series/films (flaws and all) as they were originally produced, even when the creators (ahem, Lucas) later change their minds. It's just that those consumers that WANT that represent... what... 5% at best?

Last edited:
Nice. I have the same set (y)

Are you talking about this one...

I'm not totally sure but it doesn't look like it has the original broadcast version. Otherwise, it's probably the nicest set.
I don't own it yet. Paging through reviews on Amazon, it looks like it the original effects versions are included.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back