The Conjuring (Post-release)

I saw it this weekend just gone, I'm pretty skeptical of all of these types of stories in real life but as far as a movie and entertainment went it was really good, I'd say one of the most scary possession movies I've seen (not that I've seen them all haha), I agree that it should be seen at the cinemas too.

Anyone got plans on making the music box?
969533_555700907825159_695507078_n.png

I love good scary movies, and this is one of them. It's not perfect, but it's fun. As for 'based on true events' they clearly had to have some artistic license, because if there was film of people levitating while possessed I have to think it'd have a bit more coverage.

The eldest daughter has been quoted saying it is an "artistic film" but not a "fiction" film, so I think you nailed it, Kerr - clearly some artistic license going on.

And lets hear it for Hollywood production design! Gotta make it look interesting and scary!
1.) Annabelle in real life was just a cloth Raggedy Ann doll (the pic you posted :thumbsup)
2.) The house itself was a long, one-story ranch house (lloks one-story anyway), not some some hybrid of a classic midwest farm house and the Haunted Mansion from Disneyland!

House 002.jpg

Last edited:
People levitating in chairs, that turn upside down, and then land leg side first on the ceiling would have been in the news. I don't care how different the news would have been. Also, it'd be digitized and made available now if nothing else. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun movie, but some of the things never could have happened because if it had we'd have absolute, verifiable evidence of the supernatural from this incident.

Totally...

My 13-year-old boy asked me after the show what I believed in. I told him that for me to believe in the "supernatural" I'd have to personally witness - live - something that clearly defies the laws of physics as we know them.

I told him I far more easily could believe a person may have a near-psychotic break and essentially throw a tantrum manifesting (seemingly) inhuman stength than I'd beleive a person is possessed by an evil spirit.

By the way I too enjoyed the movie, for the record. Fun, scary; not ground breaking, but good.

Last edited:
Considering that they had the involvement of both the 2 girls who lived in the house at the time of the events and the investigators who first investigated the events I'd say that the movie is probably fairly faithful to the actual events. This doesn't mean that things may not have been changed to work better on film and to make for a better movie experience overall but judging by the WonderCon panel I got the impression that they tried to stay as true as possible to the original events.

Fairly faithful...

Common with many movies, there is no real sense in the passage of time.
--The real family moved into the house in 1970 or '71
--The events the Warren's were involved in and depicted were said to have occurred around 1973 - 1975
--The real family stayed on, living in the house until 1980

The third act, "amps things up" a bit as we'd expect
--Verbiage from what I read describing the mother's assault is that she was "invaded" by the (evil) spirit of Bathsheba
--In my opinion, the filmmakers seem to want to package it as more so a cinematic demonic possession

Bathsheba - you guys may have read this too, but here is what I found
--She really did exist, and apparently lived, died, and is buried near the house the events took place in
--The townsfolk really did believe she was a witch and that she had sacrificed her infant child
--Her child truly did die in infancy
--But the law enforcement/legal system of the time never convicted her, and she did not hang herself; she reportedly died of natural causes
--Not sure if the true Bathsheba practiced Satanism or not
--Though, if what I read is correct, there are multiple recorded and/or associated deaths related to the property

Hauntings
--Apparently (and this is shown in the film) there were mulitple spirits in the house
--Most (or at least some) were said to be welcomed by the kids (similar to Rory, I guess)
--At least two were evil; a spiritual male pedophile, and good ole' Bathsheba, the wannabe-witch

Possession and "Exorcism"
--Again, invaded, not possessed (semantics?)
--In reading the true accounts, I got the impression that this was a fairly short-lived phenomenon, not an mulitple day or week event
--The eldest daughter refers to the night the spirit was "expelled" as the night she thought her mother died, and claims to have witnessed her mother be thrown twenty feet across the room, and to have spoken in a strange voice and/or language
--But thats it (at least from what I found on the 'net); no levitating chairs, no spontaneaous wounds or bleeding - none of that (though the daughters book perhaps might be more explicit?)
--Reflected in the film, it wasn't a true exorcism, just a session of "intense praying"

Last edited:
The Conjuring was quite spooky including the first half of the film when there wasn't much of a reveal. The sound effects in the theatre really amped up the experience.

Too bad some people just can't embrace being in fear through entertainment, so they keep talking or making gags thus dispersing the build up tension.

Never been arrested in my life, but I will likely loose it someday and will end up whacking some guys in the theatre. It will be glorious.

The Conjuring was quite spooky including the first half of the film when there wasn't much of a reveal. The sound effects in the theatre really amped up the experience.

Too bad some people just can't embrace being in fear through entertainment, so they keep talking or making gags thus dispersing the build up tension.

Never been arrested in my life, but I will likely loose it someday and will end up whacking some guys in the theatre. It will be glorious.

i think the reason for this is the kind of movie tho. some people can not stand the tension, and need to interrupt it so they can keep watching the movies.
i have the same experience if i watch movies at home, and there is tension building up to no extent, i cant help but to switch to something else so i calm down :)
alltho i never talk in theaters so theres that

i normally stay away from scary films like this.....not really my thing since a lot of it is cheap gimmicks and ridiculous characters...

i decided to give this film a chance because of patrick wilson

this was a great film....i love the build up and the suspense...the music and sound effects were perfect........story and acting were great.. ron livingston was an added bonus

my only complaint is the levitating chair....it was overtop and unnecessary....the film would be perfect without it.....

Just watched it. The first hour was great, scary as hell. The next 20 minutes were good but starting to unravel and the ending fell apart. The less you saw the scarier it was, so when people started getting dragged around rooms it lost the tension. The levitating chair bit was really bad, and I was praying that when the cop put down the shotgun that the spirits wouldn't fire it but I guess Casper decided to throw down old school with a 12 guage.

Criticisms aside, still one of the scarier things I've seen in awhile. Solid acting. Worth a shot if you've been interested.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back