The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

I've been unsuccessful at sourcing a company for ordering The Dude's whale checkbook and I'm not shelling out $30 for the one on an auction site. That seller is charging $12 of that just for shipping from Buenos Aires.I'm very interested in collaborating with other dudes in placing a bulk order for the checkbooks, once we've got as close a match possible. I'm also on the hunt for a copy of the cut'n'paste ransom note fax and I'm also trying to determine the font and dimensions of Treehorn's notepad. Anydude know what the what? Thanks, man.

Last edited:
I've been unsuccessful at sourcing a company for ordering The Dude's whale checkbook...
As far as I know, no one has even found the correct artwork (i.e., the whale) to duplicate The Dude's checkbook accurately. I've seen a few replicas for sale here and there, and they were all of the "close, but not quite" variety.

Man, your are so right, Dude. Upon closer inspection of the one on the auction site, I notice it's not a match. Ehh, life goes on, man.

thedude001.jpg thedude2.jpg

Two images of the official Dude costume taken at the Seattle Cinerama. As you can see, the pants look a lot more faded gray and a lot less purple than in the movie.

Since there seem to be a lot of askers, I was able to get the pants here: Big Lebowski pants

They're super high quality, which means that they'll have to go through the wash more than a few times to look like the Dude's faded slacks. But the pattern is spot-on, and they were definitely worth the price. (They're also not green at all -- unlike their preview pic.)

Does anyone happen to know the following:

Where to find the shoes? I've found a few sites that carry them, but they're all out of stock. I'm a going to be a fem!Dude, so I'm going to need some pretty small shoes.
Where can I find a pair of the sunglasses with the darker lenses?
What brand of beeper / pager does the Dude use?

Thanks, fellow Dude costumers.

A femDude sounds cool, man! I mean, woman. I also recently received those pants from the same place. The quality is good. See post #250 regarding sunglasses that are dirt cheap and a pretty close match. I recently emailed 4 screen shots of the Dude's beeper to a pager company. Who knows if I'll receive a response. Lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous. Regarding shoes: the sandals are discussed in the early pages and throughout the archives. However, the translucent jellies are still available and in a *w i d e* range of sizes for male and female. I forgot what else you asked about. Lotta strands going through the old Duder's head.

Mark it 8, Dude! I cracked the mystery pager. It's Pagenet. I got the blu-ray and it opened up a whole new world to me. I'll call Pagenet in the morning and see if someone there can tell which model this is. You're not dealing with morons here. UPDATE: Rep at Pagenet said I need to contact USA Mobility, since at least 2 buyouts occurred since 1991. UPDATE: Without even calling the company, I'm gonna go ahead and put my hat in the ring by saying this pager is a black Motorola Bravo Plus with the old Pagenet logo. It is NOT the Motorola Bravo Classic model. You can find these all over ebay, starting at around $6 with free shipping, man.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-13-03-58-41-1~2~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-13-03-58-41-1~2~2.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 181
  • pagenet-nationwide-74456175.jpeg
    pagenet-nationwide-74456175.jpeg
    22.4 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
The only costume I could afford to buy at that auction which included all of the Big Lebowski costumes was Brandt's suit from several scenes in the movie, including the Big Lebowski's house when The Dude goes to get him to pay for his rug which was micturated upon. So, I've got a dead on Brandt costume if I ever need it! Phillip Seymour Hoffman is a size or two larger than me, so the suit is a bit big on me, but its cool to have it hanging in my closet! Love this movie, and great work on all of the Dude and Walter costumes I'm seeing!

Thanks, eclipsedude! I did some searching on ebay and managed to find some Pagenet beepers, but none of them that matched the Dude's. Think you can hit a gal up with a link?

Also, does anyone have thoughts on this for a fem!Dude cosplay wig?
Mia Light Brown Honey Gold Two Tone Short Natural Colored Wigs D8-AG

It's hard to find a wig that's just the right color, man. I'm hoping that one's just close enough, then I'll get to styling it once it comes in.

I attempted to place an order with the Italian website for the Otomix shoes. Only time will tell if my order is cancelled, because there was no option for International Shipping, though it allowed me to input an American address.

Will report back my findings, so you too can spend $104 of your check on screen accurate shoes that likely no one will recognize.

Last edited:
Wow, that wig looks like it'll do the job just fine.

I called first, to insure that I'd be receiving a plain black pager, with no labeling. This will leave room to paste the correct logo sticker at a later date. They did not have any pagers with the old Pagenet logo. Their phone number is 866-724-3758. Their eBay seller ID is pageplusaz.

MOD EDIT: Please do not post ebay links, thanks.

I never addressed the Dude's Otomix shoes because I didn't think they were still available, man. Would you kindly share the link, please?

Sure, Dude. Found this earlier in the thread:

Otomix

They did allow me to input a US address, but there were no non-Italian postage options. I left it at the default and figure (read: hope) they'll contact me before then if there's any additional shipping charges. If you speak Italian, let me know!

Picked up the glasses you recommended yesterday and picked up a pair of girly shades for me to wear once the Seattle clouds make way for sunnier weather (so I could get free shipping, of course). Things are coming around nicely.

Thank you for the link, dude. I read a completed ebay auction description for a pair of MF100s where the seller stated that the Dude actually wore a pair of MX100s. They said the Dude's had some sort of black design which is not found on the MF100s. Thoughts?

I think I found that auction, and it's entirely possible, but they look exactly the same to me. I don't know where the design would be, unless it was possibly on the sole of the shoe -- which isn't that big of a deal to me. At this point, "close enough" is what I'm going for. :')

Did you order yours from the Italian website too? Let me know how it goes, and I'll keep you posted on how mine goes, too. I'm really concerned about the whole shipping / language barrier thing!

I saw that! There was info about it on the blu-ray. Jeff Bridges is a pretty cool dude.

Maya Otto from pageonenorthwest.com just confirmed that is in fact the Motorola Bravo Plus.

- - - Updated - - -

I used my PC and Chrome browser to translate the Italian website. Then paid with credit card after choosing the PayPal option. Just chose the cheapest shipping, but I figure they'll fix that or email me. I'll let you know.

My pager arrived today, man. I installed a battery and turned it on and it powers up, beeps, and vibrates! The display comes on, but I haven't tried to set the clock or anything. And of course, Page Plus said the pagers are unable to be activated. But for $6.24 and free shipping? Far out.

Last edited:
That's great! Mine's on the way now, along with my Ralphs club card.

eclipsedave, where do you plan on wearing your costume? Any particular con?

Also, have you heard anything from the Italian store? I've heard nothing since I ordered two days ago. Hoping against hopes I get a shipping notification e-mail sometime soon.

Yeah, this pager keeps correct time, lights up the lcd display, red light blinks, it beeps, and it vibrates. Can't really ask for a better prop.

When I read where you asked about where I plan to wear, I kinda said "Costume?" to myself in the same manner as when the Dude said, "Employed?" I guess it's because the clothing is in my regular rotation. I've been The Dude in real life since around 1991 and have a few old pictures sporting the same look. I never realized until very recently why my friend Eric was calling me The Dude shortly after the movie came out. Wait until I see him again!

No word from Otomix distributor yet.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back