TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

I just want to add that I went to see the film a third time today and I have to side with the thought that the film prop had the short grips throughout, I specifically looked for it in the snow scene. I am starting to think that there was indeed one hero prop version seen in the film with the shorter grips. I am pretty sure the snow scene is just a trick of the angle and there is a gap at the bottom as well.

That's what I saw as well.

I'll chime in here finally as I can.

For the protruding antenna, that is most likely the radio antenna. I supplied Disney with saber electronics that were most likely used in these scenes. As you know they used lighted sabers on set. Disney research bought my saber drivers (customized for them), blade boards, and sound modules to demo right before TFA principle photography started. I worked with them to get it all figured out.

For the protruding antenna, that is most likely the radio antenna. I supplied Disney with saber electronics that were most likely used in these scenes. As you know they used lighted sabers on set. Disney research bought my saber drivers (customized for them), blade boards, and sound modules to demo right before TFA principle photography started. I worked with them to get it all figured out.

Very cool.

Question: did it relay motion input for sound as well? Maybe not audible sound on set, but to register the motion to record sound dynamically? So the final mix would have an organic motion to sync to???

That would be rad, if the sounds we hear in the movie related DIRECTLY and FROM the motions seen on film

Last edited:
Yes it did send back motion vectors from the hilt movements. There is one interview where Boyega talks about asking JJ about doing the saber fights with real-time sound also, but he was not obliged. They would of had to set up a large extra PA system, so that corroborates things. But they had the capability to easily record all the motion for later analysis and Foley mixing.

Very cool.

Question: did it relay motion input for sound as well? Maybe not audible sound on set, but to register the motion to record sound dynamically? So the final mix would have an organic motion to sync to???

That would be rad, if the sounds we here in the movie related DIRECTLY and FROM the motions seen on film

So we're your electronics in a modified real Graflex, or MR/Hasbro ?

TFA / ESB V2 clampcards as well as a restock on ROTJ V2 / ESB Clampcards have been ordered.

Once I settle up with the manufacturer on fit, finish and quality, and when I get them in hand, I will post details.

Thank you for your patience, as I strive to provide the best product I can.

TFA / ESB V2 clampcards as well as a restock on ROTJ V2 / ESB Clampcards have been ordered.

Once I settle up with the manufacturer on fit, finish and quality, and when I get them in hand, I will post details.

Thank you for your patience, as I strive to provide the best product I can.

awesome! thanks sloth!

I'm not sure if this would help, but got a few more images. I also increased the contrast a bit

4v2u11.jpg

b5mv5u.jpg

I'm not sure if this would help, but got a few more images. I also increased the contrast a bit

http://i66.tinypic.com/4v2u11.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/b5mv5u.jpg

The part of that pic with the saber in the snow is the very first close-up shot of it in the snow that I mentioned in a previous post, the one I mention can be misinterpreted if not paying close enough attention. I know I'm in the minority here but I'm going to go on record (again) by stating that the part of the pic showing the saber in the snow, has the grips going all the way flush to the bottom of the saber and is in fact showing the entire length of the base of the Kobold D-Ring assembly and is NOT the extra 1/8" or so gap between grips and bottom of saber that exist in most other shots as the gap does not exist in the above shot. In fact that second shot in that pic and even the third a little bit, look like they are showing the Kobold base.

I'm seeing a gap at the bottom on all of those, including the snow pic. It doesn't appear to be just the kobold clip either. I guess we are interpreting it in different ways...

I know that it doesn't really matter because if I'm right (I'm pretty darn sure I am but know that there is always a chance I'm not, lol), the saber with the gap at the bottom has a lot more screen time and as such, IMHO, should be the one people try to build... unless they want to switch from TFA to ESB (and back) at will that is. Since I'm using rubber Blast-Tech grips from TCSS on my TFA build, I can only get up to a 1/16" gap at the bottom and still attach the clamp properly. That is how I will mount the grips on my build. It will give me a 1/16" gap on top and bottom.

I went and stared at that pic in the snow in the IMAX theater this weekend. No gap. Kobald clip all the way. Everywhere else I could catch a decent enough look, primarily in Maz's cellar, it has the gap at the bottom. NOT IN THE SNOW.

Does anyone ever wonder if they purposely use different sabers, just to confuse the propmaking fanbase?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Lol, I doubt they look at it that way. This is going to be my first prop (finally). I'm going with the snow version, for a number of reasons. Number one being that it's when Rey takes ownership of the saber and her power, so that's the one I want. It also keeps the most consistency with the ESB version that way.

looks like the Finn scenes have short grips...

eeeerrrr going back idk that may be the kobold.. gonna have to wait until april

I've said this before, there are two versions of the hero prop. Long grips and short. Everyone who says there is only one version never discusses the height of the T-tracks. ?

- - - Updated - - -

The T-Tracks of the snow saber are much taller than the Maz saber. Why did they do this? I'm not sure, but it pisses me off.

Yes it did send back motion vectors from the hilt movements. There is one interview where Boyega talks about asking JJ about doing the saber fights with real-time sound also, but he was not obliged. They would of had to set up a large extra PA system, so that corroborates things. But they had the capability to easily record all the motion for later analysis and Foley mixing.

I hate to be *that* guy, but

I'm just going to speculate that they take accelerometer/gyroscope data from the stunt saber so they can trigger the sounds during production, instead of during post (poor Ben). That would mean the knob is the aerial for it, with the square chunk being the power switch.

Glad to know my suspicions were correct :)
I'm guessing they used the HyperFlex blade with some sort of mod to accommodate leds to light the quillions on Kylo's saber?
*Cue influx of customers because that's what was (probably) used for filming :p *

Last edited:
They could do it either way, but in a video Boyega mentions they wanted sound but it didnt happen on set. Either way it's possible since they had the tech to do it. That was my intent when I first invented the wireless sound module with accel-based motion - I wanted to be able to do theatrical saber scenes without laborious post work. I've been waiting for over a decade for someone to realize it's potential, and it finally hit in a big way!

FYI - Ben was not involved with sound on TFA. He was kicked to the curb along with other SW long timers. One reason I didn't care for the new overlays on the sabers. They didn't sound right - out of place. BB8 wouldn't of sounded like a broken cabbage patch kid if Ben designed the sounds.

On a different topic, here is a quick vid of my own unstable kylo blade I made for a friend. I did add LEDs to the hand guards:

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back