TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

- - - Updated - - -

I think this thread should be renamed to "TFA Graflex Research Thread", or something similar. IMO that would better describe it. @Banquo Fett

I'm not sure how to change the title of the thread? I thought only the admin could do that...

The knob/ button when turned is said to blade length adjust knob, but I suppose the center can be pressed as the alternate ignition switch, although the box part is almost always used for ignition.

Although I find some of these side topics interesting any way we can move on topic? Anybody get any reference on the TFA circuit board or better pics?

Indeed ... well I just learned there is another UK based vendor going to produce and sell G R A F L E X TFA lightsabers on his own ... he previously sold Parks as a middleman ... but now is going to fly solo : jqsabers ... hopefully he'll upload them to his website soon ... here's a preview of his TFA version :

[url]http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/jqsabers%20TFA_zpsq3bdvlij.jpg[/URL]
(Picture Courtesy Daren Radcliffe-Speakman)

Chaim

Those look pretty good but I'm not sure the circuit board is correct. The hex screws also need to be flush with the t-track sides.

Hello,

Just getting back to the forum after a lengthy break and just finished reading this thread from the beginning.

Much earlier in the thread members briefly discussed how to clean up an original flash handle. Back around 2000 when I acquired my first Graflex handle it was badly tarnished. I used a product called Hagerty 100 All Metal Polish and was able to restore the finish on my flash so that it looked completely pristine except for some minor scratches here and there. I don't remember where I got it, but it is available from Home Depot here:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hagerty-100-All-Metal-Polish-26004/202809037

I had some before and after photos on my Lightsaber site, but just found out it doesn't exist anymore :-( Apparently my ISP discontinued it's web hosting service a few months ago. If anyone could PM me with some suggestions for a new host, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

Funny, I am myself an industrial designer as well (in the Netherlands). I know what you're saying about low prices with large quantities and the limitations of small businesses. But I don't often see this type of heavy build products anymore as they used to make them. They're not very complicated indeed, but well constructed, solid and with superb galvanized finishes. I guess I just have grown more respect for these vintage products since I started this hobby especially compared to all the disposable stuff being produced nowadays. It would be interesting if some company would make thousands, but then wouldn't the magic disappear a bit? I guess I'm just being melancholic.

Just to solidify my point about the cost, If you look at the hasbro black series Luke sabre, that thing is $150. It lights up and makes sound. I heard they're bigger than a graflex and you can't take the blade out. Fine. But if they can make something so much more complicated, and put it in a box, and cover it in warning stickers, and have printed instructions, then it is possible to have a flash handle be sold for $60. I will still buy a Roman one, because why wouldn't I? I think it's a great deal.

I don't feel the Hasbro black series is quite on par with a Graflex, and besides the electronics there are a lot of differences (body material, two-piece body, functioning clamp, bunny ears). When you see and feel them side by sidem there is obvious difference in not only finish but quality too.

I have a feeling that mass-produced electronics are far cheaper than we might imagine?

Also in line for Roman's. If his are going in the the neighborhood of $200, and TCSS has their Graflex 2 in the same ballpark, i wonder what the actual cost may be, and what quantities it would take to get them down under $100?

Much earlier in the thread members briefly discussed how to clean up an original flash handle. Back around 2000 when I acquired my first Graflex handle it was badly tarnished. I used a product called Hagerty 100 All Metal Polish and was able to restore the finish on my flash so that it looked completely pristine except for some minor scratches here and there. I don't remember where I got it, but it is available from Home Depot here:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hagerty-100-All-Metal-Polish-26004/202809037

I'm tempted to try this or a similar product on my Graflex, but I'm afraid of it changing the finish. Did you experience this at all with this product? I'd like to remove a little scuffing, but not if it means the flash will look shinier than it should.

image.jpeg

Not sure if this had been posted before, but the Visual Dictionary's saber has the shorter grips as well.

Just an FYI, the TCSS grips are too long to get that 1/8" clearance at the bottom for those going for that look. Those grips will give you about a 1/16" clearance while still being able to install/remove the clamp properly.

For me, yes. Others disagree.

Regardless of the actual material, though, that overlay is much thinner than the FX clamps, which rules out their use on the LB Orlando saber (left):
View attachment 573742

And we see in this closeup of the LB Anaheim prop (left) that there is a larger gap between the ends of the lines and the rectangle cut out than on the FX band (right). In addition, the rectangle corners are much sharper than on the FX, and again you see the thickness difference.
(ignore the arrows, they're from a previous photo in this thread)

View attachment 573743
If all the FX clamps have the clamp grooves distanced from the square holes as pictured here, then it proves that the film prop doesn't use an FX clamp. The spacing of this area on the clamp in the left picture as well as the one in the VD (which appears to be the same as the chest prop) matches that of an original Graflex clamp...

For now, assuming that the movie clamps are either custom creations or sleeve-wrapped originals is probably the most feasible.

I'm tempted to try this or a similar product on my Graflex, but I'm afraid of it changing the finish. Did you experience this at all with this product? I'd like to remove a little scuffing, but not if it means the flash will look shinier than it should.

This is the product I used to remove the tarnish from my Graflex and some before and after photos. The metal polish worked great to remove all the tarnish, but I don't think it will help with removing scuff marks where the metal is actually scratched or otherwise damaged.

Hagerty.jpgGraflex Before 01.jpgGraflex Before 02.jpg
Graflex After 01.jpgGraflex After 02.jpgGraflex After 03.jpg

Thee photos are from when I originally converted my Graflex (and only had a crappy camera) so please excuse the poor quality. Also, I've since replaced the bottom with one that has 7 grips and a D ring holder with only 1 fastener.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back