Tale As Old As Time - A Halloween Wedding(Pic Heavy)

i have 3 things to congratulate you on...

1: Beast looks amazing!
2: The haunted house is spectacular. turned out great
and
3: erm... oh wait hang on. what was it again... hmmm *think think think* OH YEAH YOUR WEDDING DAY!!! MASSIVE congratulations to you dancinfool. glad you had a great day

P.S: im with you... transformers would have looked bad ass ;)

This is full of epicness. Your dedication to prop making costuming is extraordinary. I only wish I could have half the drive you do. Thanks for sharing.

DFool. Think you could post a pic of the PVC skeleton of that manny? I need to copy for displaying my IM suit.

congrats man. Everything looked amazing and you're wife looked really beautiful. have a wonderful life together :)

now finish dem mark III shins *cracks whip*

Congrats on the marriage and best wishes.

That's really cool how you used a pep as an armature for sculpting. I actually bought some clay a while back to do that too, but I haven't gotten around to it quite yet. Looks like it works great. I'm sure that's probably not new for the folks around here, but you are the first person I've actually seen do it. Nice sculpt too.

Sorry you had some UltraCal problems. I'm not hardly a mold making pro myself, but did you have burlap reinforcement? Usually a good 3-4 overlapping layers, making sure not to have air pockets does the trick. Also, when adding more UltraCal, make sure you don't let it dry between layers or it won't adhere to itself correctly. If you are interested, John Brown at The Gnomon Workshop - Tutorials for visual effects artists, concept designers, sculptors and comic book illustrators and traditional artists using Maya, ZBrush, 3ds Max, Photoshop and Painter as well as traditional drawing and painting. has some excellent sculpting and mold making DVD's.

I have a hopefully quick question for you.... I'm a big 3D guy and have been doing that for quite a number of years now. This whole costume making thing is new to me, but I'm extremely interested in it. My question is... how much of a pain/learning curve is required to take an object into Pepakura and unwrap it? I would prefer to make my own stuff from scratch, but hesitant about what seems to be a very tedious unwrapping process. -I don't mind tedious work obviously and can unwrap UVs til the cows come home, but that seems more like torture. :)

Once again, congratulations.

Congrats on the marriage and best wishes.

That's really cool how you used a pep as an armature for sculpting. I actually bought some clay a while back to do that too, but I haven't gotten around to it quite yet. Looks like it works great. I'm sure that's probably not new for the folks around here, but you are the first person I've actually seen do it. Nice sculpt too.

Sorry you had some UltraCal problems. I'm not hardly a mold making pro myself, but did you have burlap reinforcement? Usually a good 3-4 overlapping layers, making sure not to have air pockets does the trick. Also, when adding more UltraCal, make sure you don't let it dry between layers or it won't adhere to itself correctly. If you are interested, John Brown at The Gnomon Workshop - Tutorials for visual effects artists, concept designers, sculptors and comic book illustrators and traditional artists using Maya, ZBrush, 3ds Max, Photoshop and Painter as well as traditional drawing and painting. has some excellent sculpting and mold making DVD's.

I have a hopefully quick question for you.... I'm a big 3D guy and have been doing that for quite a number of years now. This whole costume making thing is new to me, but I'm extremely interested in it. My question is... how much of a pain/learning curve is required to take an object into Pepakura and unwrap it? I would prefer to make my own stuff from scratch, but hesitant about what seems to be a very tedious unwrapping process. -I don't mind tedious work obviously and can unwrap UVs til the cows come home, but that seems more like torture. :)

Once again, congratulations.

Thanks man, Yeah I did use burlap to reinforce, but I think my problem was that I just didn't make the general mold thick enough.

As for bringing an object into pepakura for unfolding, it's actually quite easy. You just import the model and click unfold. From there it's a fairly small learning curve of just cutting and joining edges around the model to come up with a good layout that works well. If you can unwrap a UV set you can definitely handle unwrapping a mesh in pepakura.

Thanks man, Yeah I did use burlap to reinforce, but I think my problem was that I just didn't make the general mold thick enough.

As for bringing an object into pepakura for unfolding, it's actually quite easy. You just import the model and click unfold. From there it's a fairly small learning curve of just cutting and joining edges around the model to come up with a good layout that works well. If you can unwrap a UV set you can definitely handle unwrapping a mesh in pepakura.

Okay, cool. I suppose I'll shell out $38 for Pepakura Designer and give it a go. Thanks so much for getting back with me.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back