Sucker Punch Giant Samurai - Update - 4/19

Re: Sucker Punch Giant Samurai - Update

Looks like you're off to a good start. If I could make one suggestion though, I'd make the frame wider and shorter to get the right angle on the hat. It looks like it's a bit tall/narrow. The screen reference shows the hat going well outside the shoulders, even with the armor.

Just eyeballing it, but I'd say the base diameter needs to be about 4x the height of the cone. (base to point)

Looks like you're off to a good start. If I could make one suggestion though, I'd make the frame wider and shorter to get the right angle on the hat. It looks like it's a bit tall/narrow. The screen reference shows the hat going well outside the shoulders, even with the armor.

Just eyeballing it, but I'd say the base diameter needs to be about 4x the height of the cone. (base to point)

It's just the picture, the reference was taken below the front of the hat, making it look shorter than it is. See how you can see the bottom of the back of the hat behind his head? I could make it slightly shorter, but not wider. Right now it's over an inch past my shoulders on both sides, and barely fits through the door ways in my house. :) My other concern if it were shorter, I'm not sure it would cover to below my chin. It's hard to say how big the head of that computer model was that they used I'm the movie.

I think I will be able to use black zip ties on the sides to connect the pieces, then use jb-weld on the back of the blinds to connect it around the base.

Last edited:

about to post the exact same thing. Hold your hat at the same angle as the reference and take note of the angle it is sloping in. At this point, it is definitely too narrow at the bottom. For covering the hat I would suggest cutting the mat apart and hot glue each individual straw onto the hat.
Good luck!

about to post the exact same thing. Hold your hat at the same angle as the reference and take note of the angle it is sloping in. At this point, it is definitely too narrow at the bottom. For covering the hat I would suggest cutting the mat apart and hot glue each individual straw onto the hat.
Good luck!

Check out post #22, I think the pictures are deceiving. The base of the hat is about an inch or so wider then my shoulders on both sides in diameter, like the reference. I'll see if I can take a pic at the same angle as the reference after work and see how it looks.
For now, maybe check out the first picture of post #3, there's two more layers of the hat you can't see above the crop.

Check out post #22, I think the pictures are deceiving. The base of the hat is about an inch or so wider then my shoulders on both sides in diameter, like the reference. I'll see if I can take a pic at the same angle as the reference after work and see how it looks.
For now, maybe check out the first picture of post #3, there's two more layers of the hat you can't see above the crop.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm still going with my original statement that I think it's too tall/narrow. Either way, I'm sure your still going to make it look awesome, so I'll wait until it's finished and you take a picture at the same angle before I make any more judgements about it. Don't forget though, The samurai was CG, so they didn't have to fit and actual head underneath. Much like how the neck seals on the clonetrooper helmets are smaller than the heads they go on, but they can still take them on and off in the movie.

In the reference it also looks like it goes much more than 1 inch past the shoulder armour that sits on top of the shoulder, so you'l need to make sure you take that into account.

I to am VERY interested in this thread and your progress. I have some links here in a blog post I put up on my personal blog here or click the sig to check it out. I'm aiming for the bad @$$ with the mini gun and rocket launcher style myself.

Instead of trash cans, or using them completely, you can hit up a local car wash and get those nice 55 gallon plastic drums. There are some youtube SCA tutorials on how to cut, sand and finish armor like that.

Those are some very good references as well oculus1857 thanks!

Okay did some measure and took some pictures. The Base of the hat is 26" inches in diameter. The hat extends past my shoulders on each side about 3".
Samurai%20hat%20size.jpg

The angle isn't exact, but it looks a lot closer from this view. Of course it will look a lot different with material on it.
Samurai%20hat%202.jpg

Good progress! Will you be wearing it at any cons?
If I can finish it with my work and other stuff, I'll plan on wearing it at the Horror Hound Weekend in Cincinnati, OH in November. I'm associated with some podcasts that attend.

I started putting the bamboo on the hat. Is is perfect? Nope, but it's been fun to make so far. I'll see what I can do later on.
I'm not quite sure how I could make it any shorter or wider really. It's basically going to be the way it is. I shortened the peak on the top about 2" more to shorten it. Fact is, if I make it shorter, it won't cover my face, and it's almost too wide now to go through a regular doorway :lol
Samurai-hat5.jpg

I have to finish the top later, and cut out the "window" on the front.
Samurai-hat6.jpg

It sits on my head well, doesn't bounce around, and seems sturdy.

The angle isn't exact, but it looks a lot closer from this view. Of course it will look a lot different with material on it.

Is does definately looks a lot closer from that angle. It's starting to look like a real hat now with the bamboo too. Keep it up!

other alternative is to cut off the string holding it together and glue it on piece by piece, will take a lot of time but hard work pays off in the end!

When I have more time, I'm going to try and make the frame ring around the hard hat head band a smaller diameter. That should change the height some, and the appearance of the bottom width. I just need to figure that out before I do the top of the hat.
I think for the front opening I can hot glue around the "rectangle" of the opening so the string doesn't unravel. I'll cut out individual pieces and leave others to give it a similar appearance to the picture.

Last edited:

A quick top of my head thought would be to cut the top two and the bottom thread joins to allow the bamboo to slope better giving you a tighter point and a shightly wider gap at the bottom. I hope the blind didn't cost too much because if it doesn't work you may need to buy another one :$

Looking great so far though, keep it up :thumbsup

A quick top of my head thought would be to cut the top two and the bottom thread joins to allow the bamboo to slope better giving you a tighter point and a shightly wider gap at the bottom. I hope the blind didn't cost too much because if it doesn't work you may need to buy another one :$

Looking great so far though, keep it up :thumbsup

Unfortunately, cutting that much would require a new frame, it would be easier to just start over at that point. Not completely out of the question, but I'll see how my other mod goes later.

I would suggest, if you start cutting sections of bamboo apart, you may want to put a bead of glue on either side of the proposed cut and let dry, then cut or the whole thing will likely fall apart.

I would suggest, if you start cutting sections of bamboo apart, you may want to put a bead of glue on either side of the proposed cut and let dry, then cut or the whole thing will likely fall apart.

Agreed, I almost found out that the hard way, luckily I saved it.

Looking good so far. Its funny how things that seem to be simple when your prop building end up being an issue.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back