Sucker Punch German Zombies

One thing's obvious, I need to knock down the brightness of the brass buttons. Like I mentioned above, I tried to work mud into the wool jacket, but wool resists dirt quite well. I may have to stain the jacket with something not-so-natural, but I'm hesitating on that because I have only one chance to get it right. I used a cheese grater to rough up the edges of the collar, pocket, hem and cuffs, but you can't tell from a distance.

I can't mess with the trousers...I use them in my WW1 re-enactments.

I'm obviously not taking that genuine Mauser Gew98 rifle and bayonet into Comic-Con...I have an airsoft Mauser 98k and rubber bayonet to substitute (if Security will allow it). If I'm not allowed to take the rifle in, then I have a Mauser C-96 broomhandle pistol and bandoleer that I can use instead. None of the soldiers had one in the movie, but I can't be a good soldier without any weapon.

I'm not wearing my re-enactment boots because they have steel hobnails on the sole. Besides, the Doc Marten's are more comfortable. I'm going to need some comfort somewhere, because it's hot under all that wool, gear and gas mask.

Speaking of the gas mask, I can breathe through the respirator (the innards and seals of which I removed) and through the eye sockets (although they are covered by thin muslin), but since it is rubberised, it doesn't take long before I'm sweating up a storm.

For anyone doing the "bunker guard" gas mask, I read that the special effects crew on the movie had to cut the German helmets in half and extend them longitudinally to make room for the gas mask. That helped the gas mask to fit under the helmet, but it changed the entire shape and look of the helmet. The pipes they added to the outside of the helmet helped to camouflage the extension.

Parks

Just as I predicted, I sweat a lot inside the mask. So much so, that the stiches holding the mask straps dissolved and I had to cut my day short so that I could go home and make repairs. But, we had one good Sucker Punch gathering.

sdcc11_01.jpg

Parks

I'm putting a little effort onto a zombie to go along with my wife's Babydoll costume. Since time is short between now and Dragon*Con, I don't really have time to go super accurate. I however am having a hard time finding a good source for the back canister. Anyone have any quick ideas to help me finalize my undead soldier?

My suggestion is to search on eBay for the following: "gas mask filter 40mm" There are two up there now. That's essentially what I used for my back canister, and the Russian fabric-covered hoses fit the 40mm fitting.

Parks

sturmtrupp.jpg

Hey thanks, I just ordered one so I'm a little closer to finishing. Also, this will be a Fett inspired Zombie with my Dented Helmet in ESB fashion.

Enormous round of applause Parkseiii, that is some amazing work. You look fantastic. By any chance did you take some extra shots of the bunny mech? Re colouring/dirtying down, I've had a great run with artist chalk sticks. Nice and crumbly and the powder really sticks to rough surfaces and in cracks and seams. I was concerned with it rubbing off my costume onto others but I actually had trouble removing the excess, so with a few wears it will take on a natural groundin quality.

Enormous round of applause Parkseiii, that is some amazing work. You look fantastic. By any chance did you take some extra shots of the bunny mech? Re colouring/dirtying down, I've had a great run with artist chalk sticks. Nice and crumbly and the powder really sticks to rough surfaces and in cracks and seams. I was concerned with it rubbing off my costume onto others but I actually had trouble removing the excess, so with a few wears it will take on a natural groundin quality.

I'll give the chalk a try when I next use the costume, thanks for the tip. I took several shots of the bunny mech, which would you like? I have shots of me in front, shots with the Sucker Punch girls in front, and just the bunny mech itself (no humans posing with it). Let me know and I will post.

Parks

The chalks are a pastel stick i got from my local art supply outlet. It was a rich red oxide I used on my mad max 2 costume to simulate the desert earth of the wasteland, but there are darker browns and softer shades in the same material. It really gets into the material. As for the Bunny mech, The shot you put online was awesome. It shows up the inner thigh and knee joint really well. Its almost doing my head in. It looks like the knee panel ratchets out when the knee bends down. And the rear of the knee on the upper thigh piece has a panel that opens up to allow the knee to fully bend, but I'm just guessing. meanwhile all my moulds are drying out in the sun. I would love to see ANY photos , They have been quite useful. Cheers

Steve

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! The crotch close up is solid gold. some slight adjustment is going to have to be performed for my legs, but I guessed the structure of the two protective shields. ........ Did you read that red and white warning sign on the fuel tanks? I was going to write... "danger do not expose to reality"

Thanks again Parks!!!!!
You Rock.

Those shots were so helpful. Costume was completed and took out best in show in melbourne last weekend. waiting for some awesome photos to post up, otherwise visit my facebook site. Tonne of other peoples shots on there. Pm me.

I was thinking of doing the Pickelhaube, but didn't want to ruin the one I have. but it looks like you just need ashell and a cover. the cover is so tight there can't be a badge under it. and the shinstrap is just riveted on, probably not a real one

SuckerPunch2150 by eyehateyahu, on Flickr

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back