Sucker Punch costume thread

the goggles that glasscannon posted are very identical. But for that price I think I'm better off making a some sort of prop of them (it'll look homemade but might save me some money in the mean run)

Yeah, my hope with identifying the real ones is that people who want to be absolutely accurate can get them, and every one else can use them as reference pictures when finding/making their own. ;)

There are lots of Mk 8 knock offs on eBay and a couple mk 49 knock offs. Just search for RAF goggles or humvee goggles, that should give you a cheap starting point.

The crisscross belt for the shoulder harness looks to use

Tandy Leather Factory - All Purpose Strap Buckles

Tandy also carries the pyramid spots (1331-xx)

The primary buckle and the double prong buckle on the gauntlet I don't recognize.

The harness looks to be put together with triglides/adjusters. I believe metal because they are not rectangular, but they look more rounded than the more common stamped type, but less round than others.:wacko

I think these are pretty close, but I know nothing about the vendor.
Metal Tri-Glide

Last edited:
There are lots of Mk 8 knock offs on eBay and a couple mk 49 knock offs. Just search for RAF goggles or humvee goggles, that should give you a cheap starting point.

The crisscross belt for the shoulder harness looks to use

Tandy Leather Factory - All Purpose Strap Buckles

Tandy also carries the pyramid spots (1331-xx)

The primary buckle and the double prong buckle on the gauntlet I don't recognize.

The harness looks to be put together with triglides/adjusters. I believe metal because they are not rectangular, but they look more rounded than the more common stamped type, but less round than others.:wacko

I think these are pretty close, but I know nothing about the vendor.
Metal Tri-Glide
Those sites made my life a little easier. I was just about to ask about the belts. The main buckle looks to be bent at the prong. Might be a little tricky to do by hand but not too hard I suppose.

Guessing size would be a fun job :)

Oh awesome! Though, once again, they can't decide if Sweet Pea's sleeve and pauldron are on her right or left, lol.

Back on the Blondie costume design, I thought I'd mention a vendor I used last year that might come in handy for anyone making her bodysuit from scratch: ZipperSource.com. They do custom-made zippers with tons of options, including teeth style/material/size, pull style, reversible, double ended, open end, etc, in custom lengths by the half inch. Last year I got an 9.5" black heavy-weight molded plastic open-end with with reversible pull that I used instead of a busk in a reversible underbust corset I made for Dragon*Con (pic). It held up great even with the corset laced up tight, and the custom length and options were the only thing that let me make a reversible corset (which I wore for two of my costumes last year).

A zipper for Blondie's bodysuit will probably be a bit easier to find than mine was, but it occurred to me that the bodysuit could be converted into a corset-ish design, in which case you might want a heavier duty zipper than what you can usually find locally. ZipperSource was good, good price ($16 including shipping for the one I ordered), but they did take about 2 weeks to ship it (they custom-make it after all), so not something to be put off, once you know the sort of zipper you want.

Those sites made my life a little easier. I was just about to ask about the belts. The main buckle looks to be bent at the prong. Might be a little tricky to do by hand but not too hard I suppose.

Guessing size would be a fun job :)
Glad to help.

Guessing the size would be made much easier if we knew what her sidearm was. Or they could be scaled off the goggles or the tomahawk.

The main buckle appears to be a center bar buckle with the left side attached to the normal top of the buckle rather than over the center bar.

Have you noticed the pyramid spots on her left shoulder. There seem to be Two rows of three next to each other rather than the typical two rows of two with a gap. Unfortunately every shot you can see the 2x3 spots you can't see any of the others. So I don't know if it is a single difference or a second harness with a continuity error.

edit: In this poster there appears to be a 3x3 section of spots on the strap above the one with the 2x3 section.
edit 2: In that same poster the main buckle looks like it could be the Tandy Econo Center Bar Buckle or Center Bar Buckle.

Last edited:
Glad to help.

Guessing the size would be made much easier if we knew what her sidearm was. Or they could be scaled off the goggles or the tomahawk.

The main buckle appears to be a center bar buckle with the left side attached to the normal top of the buckle rather than over the center bar.

Have you noticed the pyramid spots on her left shoulder. There seem to be Two rows of three next to each other rather than the typical two rows of two with a gap. Unfortunately every shot you can see the 2x3 spots you can't see any of the others. So I don't know if it is a single difference or a second harness with a continuity error.
Yes, the reference photos we have to go by don't so much and it seems like in every one of them something is a little different. If Gentle Giant had made a statue of her then I could go by that. And on the down side, I still don't know what the back of her looks like!

About her left shoulder, it looks like there is only two rows of two. She's quiet symmetrical, yet I could be wrong.

Here are the images of the shoulder I am referencing.
attachment.php

Oh, okay now I know what you're saying. I couldn't see that in the photo I have. Like I said I could've been wrong. They could be the same on both sides, but who knows. My guess would be that they are.

Thanks for that photo. I think I can guess how the harnesses are connected now and how the body suit should look. I still don't know what fabric to use though.

By the way, she has this whole Lara Croft thing going on.

The chest looks like thin neoprene or a smooth pleather (probably pleather), the center grey panels could be microsuede & the outer grey panels look like wool, I think the texture is called crepe.

Here is a shot of wool crepe.
http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/Wool-Crepe-Blue-Grey-IF710W-07.html

edit: You may want stretch crepe.

Edit 2: The center panels may duplicate the pleather from the chest, and it is just the lighting that makes them look different. In the photo with the white background the two chest and center look the same.

Last edited:
Wow, awesome job on identifying the pieces so far! I'm curious about the blocky pieces that look like they're part of the side of her harness(?) in that above pic.

The chest looks like thin neoprene or a smooth pleather (probably pleather), the center grey panels could be microsuede & the outer grey panels look like wool, I think the texture is called crepe.

Here is a shot of wool crepe.
Wool Crepe - Blue Grey, IF710W-07 :: Wool Crepe Fabric :: Wool Fabric :: Fabric By Content :: Vogue Fabrics - America's Premier Fashion Fabric Store

edit: You may want stretch crepe.

Edit 2: The center panels may duplicate the pleather from the chest, and it is just the lighting that makes them look different. In the photo with the white background the two chest and center look the same.

Ooooo looks soft :)

I was thinking that the center panels were transparent, only by a little though. But that wool crepe looks like it could be it as well. I'll search for stretch crepe too.

I'm actually thinking of buying a leotard and then sewing the panels over it, adding a zipper, and then the black lining. It'll be easier I'm guessing then making the bodysuit free-handed. For me anyway.

I'm thinking this might work http://tapsdancewear.com/prod1252.htm

Last edited:
It would be easier, and based on the wacky way the zipper is attached at the top it seems the most logical approach as the entire front panel seems to be an onlay anyway.

It would be easier, and based on the wacky way the zipper is attached at the top it seems the most logical approach as the entire front panel seems to be an onlay anyway.
I might cheat a little with the zipper because it is kinda weird. Maybe this weekend I'll go down to the dance store and pick up a leotard and get started on a rough draft (so to speak) of the body suit. We'll see how things turn out.

Hihi. I found this nifty forum while searching for references of Rocket's outfit, and I can't tell you how happy I am that I did find you guys!

I've never made a costume before, and I'm very determined to have Rocket's outfit finished by Dragon*Con 2011. I've got plenty of time right now considering that I'm pregnant, but afterward I'm not going to have any time to sit around and sew things together. So, I'm hoping that with the references that I've found and the obvious genius that resides in this forum I'll be able to get most of the sewing completed before July. :D

Right now, I think I've figured out how the pieces to Rocket's outfit go together. However, what I can't figure out is the color of the corset/waist cincher bit of her outfit. It looks black to me sometimes, but it seems gray at other times. I was wondering if I could get some opinions on this?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back