Stormtrooper Oddities

Does anyone know if that MG-34 Han is caring, is real or a prop?

I had the chance to carry one a couple of weekends ago; It was 34 lbs. I was in full TK and it was very awkard, making it feel more heavy. There is no way I couldn't carry something like that for a long period

I've wondered the same thing. You can see through the barrel shroud, so that makes me think that it isn't a casting. But come on. It has to be the way he throws it to Chewie. :) I love the way he looks when he struts off that elevator.

Im new to the forum (first post...) but I have been following this thread for a while and it is my favourite thread ever... Excellent work guys on spoting all the little nuances and inconsistencies.

Stormtrooper: Well done on spoting the string tied round the thigh to the holster, very well spoted.

Sadly I dont have HD and have no discoveries to contribute to the thread.

This isnt a costume oddity and is hardly worht mentioning but its something I always loved when watching ROTJ.

During the scene when Vader and Luke come face to face for the first time on the Shuttle landing platform on Endor, a badass stormtrooper momentarily turns to and eyeballs Luke as they enter the lift, just before the door closes at the end of the scene. Made me think this guy was tougher than the average TK :)

Bored.
Is that gaffer tape on no stripes chest?? LOL.
te1.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brinn 71 @ Mar 9 2007, 09:21 PM) [snapback]1436235[/snapback]</div>
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a TD ab plate?? :$

What a cool thread.

B
[/b]

TK-stormtrooper

TD-desert stormtrooper/sandtrooper ]

;)

[attachmentid=13052]??continuity shot Circa 76/77??

I found this some time ago & wondered about the authenticity. Those shoulder strap's appear a tad on the large size, but as is quoted the Extra in question Mr Philpot puts this down to different grades of costumes for close up/background shot's. anybody here with any thoughts.

here is Mr Philpots statement that can be found at www.horstedkeynes.com

I recently found this photo taken while I was working as an extra on Star Wars. It is quite small and faded but I have tried to electronically enhance the colours. The costume was mostly simple moulded fibreglass which was held together with black cloth straps that can't be seen against the baggy black "silk" undergarment. The lower leg parts just clipped around my legs where there are gaps at the back. If you look carefully at the original release of the film you will see that in some of the shots near the Millennium Falcon, one of the Stormtroopers appears to have only one leg. It just fell off and nobody bothered with a retake - I won't reveal the legless Stormtroopers name except for money. The belt and kneecaps are made of a flexible moulded white material. The helmet has to be rotated 90 degrees before being put on or removed else it takes your nose with it. It is lined with some smelly yellow foam which is uncomfortable and hot under the studio lights. If you look at the face you will see that it has been simply hand painted in silver and black. Whether there were different "grades" of costume for close up or distant shots I don't know, but I do know that this production was made as cheaply as possible. If only we had known then, what we know now. For some reason we were not allowed to have our guns with us when these pictures were taken, pity as they were real tat. As you can see the costume was quite dirty and well worn and one of the upper legs had been repaired and painted over, but none of this shows in the world of movie magic. No, I don't have the costume for sale unfortunately, I'll bet it would be worth a small fortune.[/b]

Very cool photo Bagpus3 - thanks for sharing.

I've seen a similar pic of a stormtrooper extra 'sans helmet' who could well be the same guy... pictured with Vader 2 helmeted troopers, Luke, R2 and Threepio... could have been at the same promotional photoshoot?
Although the troopers in that pic have their blasters which goes against Mr. Phillpott's account. (not being allowed their guns at the photoshoot)

He's wrong about some minor details about the armour itself (which isn't surprising given the fact it was 30 years ago.)

Notice also that the brow trim on his helmet has been shortened... and those funky shoulder straps? Weird.
Maybe this pic was from an initial costume fitting of the stormtrooepr costume, and they were the original design which was then changed for whatever reason?

Keep 'em coming. :)

Cheers,
John

Great photo indeed.

I wonder if what we see here could be some sort of test fitting made after the shooting in Tunisia, as as we

all know, from sandtroopers to stormtroopers: details were added or replaced.

...and all those parts here are wrong (shoulder connectors, kneeplate/sniper plate etc..), so I guess they

probably tried various versions.

Cheers.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GINO @ Mar 11 2007, 10:33 PM) [snapback]1437790[/snapback]</div>
Those shoulder connectors are actually knee belt pieces.
Weirdl.
[/b]

Good eye...that's exactly what it looks like... I wonder if that's one of the stage hands or crew that tried on the armor for kicks?.

He certainly has the hair of the era...

Fiberglass? Silver paint? Look at the funky left kneeplate. Are the lenses brown, or is it missing lenses?

Those forearms look too wide at the wrist. Plus I can't quite see the row of raised boxes on the back of them. Just me or anyone else agree?

Great photo bagpus :thumbsup

The suit's authentic ANH to me althought the way it is assembled is interesting :p I have never seen one assembled like it and have poured over many HD pics but I will have another look to try and see it.

Are there any more photos like this where you found it?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back