Stones McQuarrie Vader WIP

Re: Darth Stones McQuarrie Vader Project

Thanks phase pistol for sharring those pics! They were more detailed than some that a friend had sent me.

I am not real sure that I like a few details that differ from the McQuarrie painting and the statue. One of them is the cape ends where they attach to the armor.

In the Kotobukiya statue version, the cape ends are just loose, they don't actually attach anywhere. I agree, this looks real sloppy.

I may have to glue those down or pin them somehow. Right now they just "float" around his collar.

For a practical wearable suit, you'd have to devise some sort of attachment. It's like Superman's cape, there's no obvious way for it to stay tucked into his collar, but it just stays there somehow. :lol

- k

What I meant was the ends that they changed on the statue VS the painting that attach the cape to the armor. In the painting it seems to me that the cape just ends in a tip. On the Kotobukiya they have some sort of an end attached to the cape that hooks/ataches to the armor.:unsure

Oh yeah, look at that... the little arrow head shaped clasps or whatever they are, seem fixed to the armor.

mcqvaderxz3.jpg

For a practical wearable suit, you'd have to devise some sort of attachment. It's like Superman's cape, there's no obvious way for it to stay tucked into his collar, but it just stays there somehow. :lol

- k

Amusing aside: I had a cloth Superman costume when i was a wee kid, and the cape was sewn to a vest. You put the cape/vest on first, then the shirt over it and pulled the cape out. Looked like the real thing, with no visible point of attachment.

Oh yeah, look at that... the little arrow head shaped clasps or whatever they are, seem fixed to the armor.

mcqvaderxz3.jpg

Funny how things look different when blown up like that. It does look like McQuarrie may have had ends on the cape:redface

I will have to spend more time with the magnifying glass on my print before I make another comparison:confused

Just a couple of new pics.

It took me the whole day of nagging the painter at work, but he got 4 coats of urethane primmer onto the mold. I spent 6 hours the other night fixing the last of the pinholes, and I thought that I had 'em all filled. Primer sure can make you humble.:redface

100_0883.jpg

The two halves do draw up pretty tight however I didn't have the bolts in for this shot. The stuff was still a little tacky and I don't want any more work. :thumbsup Tommorow I will knock down the primmer and take care of the remaining blemmishes. Then more primmer and then paint. Hopefully I will be posting photos of a new casting next week:thumbsup

100_0882.jpg

Progress has slowed a little because of the day job and family stuff. I am allready a month behind of where I wanted to be with the shoulder armor. I was hoping to be well on my way to having the belt and chest box done as well. Such is life they say, but it still sux.:angry

And to top it off I seem to have lost my gel coat spray gun.:cry It is one of thoes things that I can get along without, but it makes the end product oh so much nicer:thumbsup

I should have more progress pics soon. Thank you all for letting me vent a little:)

So, new gel coat gun ordered. Materails are arriving, and all is well. Just have to talk the painter at the shop into spraying on a few coats of clear on the mold and then I will be a rockin'!

So, for what seems like forever with all of the sanding and primming and re-sanding I finally have paint on the mold!
Here are the two halfs of the mold, just barly dry enugh that dust is not sticking to them. After a few days of drying I will begin laying up my 30 coats of wax before spraying in the gel coat and then laying up the 'glass. :)

100_0918.jpg

100_0920.jpg

I love these WIP threads. It's always a great learning opportunity for me when a talented member shares his or her process.

Thanks for letting us in on your work. The developing armor looks awesome! :D :thumbsup

Will you be separating the shoulder bells or will you leave it as one piece?

If you addressed that I guess I didn't see it.

This is outstanding work...

JV

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back