Steampunk raygun

Could you go over what all went into it?

Sure - here's a cut-and-paste (with a bit of editing) from the build thread over on Brass Goggles:

Here are the basics of what I started out with - some wooden finials to comprise the body of the gun and an X-acto razor knife for the grip. I actually bought the X-acto knife about 8 years ago, with the sole intention of using it for a prop someday (it certainly took me long enough!):

343880712.jpg

I chopped up the finials and reassembled them to get the basic shape of the gun - and I added a suitably "raygun-esque" drawer pull to the back end:

343880713.jpg

I then extended the barrel with a section of ABS tubing - hiding the joint with a "collar" also out of ABS tubing:

343880716.jpg

The muzzle piece is a polyurethane resin casting - I am currently working in the toy prototyping industry, and this piece was done by a co-worker (I don't recall what it was for) When I saw it, I immediately thought "raygun muzzle piece!" I added the flat ring with holes to the face to make it a bit more interesting - that was done out of styrene, as are the stepped-down sections of the barrel shroud. It's all slipped over a piece of brass tubing:

343880719.jpg

So I had my basic gun shape and I had my grip... I then made a trigger (non-functional) and trigger guard (out of ABS tubing and styrene):

343880722.jpg

And here's how the body and barrel components all fit together:

343880724.jpg

I sandblasted the X-acto grip, mainly to provide a more suitable surface for priming and painting later. I also added some "greeblies" to the recessed areas on either side (done out of styrene and resin bits):

343880727.jpg

After some cutting and grinding on the top end - so it would fit the contours of the main body - I potted in some lengths of all-thread rod using JB Weld. This is what will plug into the main body of the gun and provide a secure attachment for the grip:

343880706.jpg

A feature of the X-acto knife is a hinge at the bottom, which allows you to open it up and change out the blade (which I used to my advantage):

343880704.jpg

And here's a first stage mock-up - I added some greeblies above the trigger guard (resin bits from my parts bin, styrene, and an aluminum rivet) and a lanyard ring to the butt end. That's the real deal too - a genuine lanyard ring from a Webley revolver (also sandblasted). You can also see here that I've started to lay out in pencil where the rivets and some of the detail bits will be going:

343880707.jpg

Once I began the tedious process of sealing (and sanding... and sealing... and sanding...) the wooden finial components, I started in on making the tubes that I wanted to put on the gun. I was going for a tube-within-a-tube concept. The tubes (and caps) are plastic test tubes from an on-line supplier that Darth Saber mentioned (thanks a bunch for that, DS!) - I just cut them down to the lengths that I needed. The wire "thingies" are aluminum armature wire with a bead clipped from a length of ball chain:

343880665.jpg

And here's a mock-up of the tube concept - the cap is ABS tubing with an acrylic elliptical hemisphere and the rest is styrene tubing and ABS covered wire. So what is it supposed to do? Damned if I know! You tell me!

343880667.jpg

And here's a final mock-up, with all of the components in place:

348133884.jpg

348133899.jpg

348133887.jpg

348133890.jpg

348133894.jpg

The "fuel cell" (?) inbetween the "vacuum tubes" (?) is ABS and styrene tubing with acrylic hemisphere caps, and a neck of aluminum tubing that plugs into the gun. The "intermix ducts" (?) on the underside of the gun are 45 degree brass grease fittings with some bits of brass tubing and aluminum armature wire. The rivets are... well, rivets!

And here are some closeups on the control/setting knobs - the one is an EMA model bit from the parts bin combined with a brass something-or-other... I'm not sure if it was a gear or just simply a thumbscrew. The tick marks on the gun are simply styrene strip. The other knob is a knurled brass thumbnut on a threaded rod that screws into the gun, combined with a plastic do-dad from the parts bin.

348133896.jpg

348133902.jpg

Last edited:
Most of the steampunk items I've seen give me the feeling that if I needed to use it (in a sci-fi alternate universe) to defend myself or to bring chaos down on some one that deserved it, the thing would not work for some reason.

But this thing is awesome , It looks like a piece of cast iron destruction. I love it and If I was stuck in an alternate sci-fi universe this is something I'd want to have by my side.

Very cool stuff. To think I almost missed this thread all together because I'm normally not that impressed with steam punk items. You should be very proud.

Do you know that the X-acto razor knife handle you used is also used on Riddicks knifes in The Chronicles of Riddick.
IMAGE006.JPG

Absolutely stunning!
I have just finished re-reading The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen's three graphic novels and to see this today finishes it all off a treat :)

Great work Tim.

I'm more impressed knowing that the body is made of wood. You did an outstanding job sealing the grain and on the paint job. I thought it was metal or at least resin.

Thanks again, guys.

Do you know that the X-acto razor knife handle you used is also used on Riddicks knifes in The Chronicles of Riddick.
As a matter of fact I do - when phillipes first posted pics of the Riddick swingknives waaaay back when looking for info, I was the dude that I.D.ed the grip immediately (having been in possession of one of these X-Actos for a while) :D

Wow!

That's crazy impressive work there. Awesome assembly and paint-job! :):thumbsup

Thanks for sharing the assembly pics.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back