STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

Maybe too early for speculation - BUT!:

Wouldn't it be fun to have a continuation of Rebels set DURING the OT, post-ANH?
The continued adventures of Old Man Rex, with a new crew of Alliance fighters, culminating in his side of the Battle of Endor?

i am amazed old man rex survived season 2, i thought for sure he was all done in this past season. glad he is sticking around. would love for the rebel trooper in RoTJ to be old man rex!

i am amazed old man rex survived season 2, i thought for sure he was all done in this past season. glad he is sticking around. would love for the rebel trooper in RoTJ to be old man rex!
I'm sure if Lucas was still running things that he would do something about that in the next Special Edition. And in interviews he would say he planned that all along, but forgot to tell whoever was in charge of the credits.

We have the time between Star Wars and Empire still largely uncharted, but the new Marvel comics are doing a lot in that span. We also have thirty years between ROTJ and TFA, of which we've only scratched the surface. Considering the next season of Rebels is supposedly leading into Rogue One, I'm hoping the movies and TV series will be a bit more closely interwoven. Not to the point that you have to watch the show to know what the heck is going on in the movie, but to the extent that watching the show will make the movie that much richer of an experience.

--Jonah

We have the time between Star Wars and Empire still largely uncharted, but the new Marvel comics are doing a lot in that span. We also have thirty years between ROTJ and TFA, of which we've only scratched the surface. Considering the next season of Rebels is supposedly leading into Rogue One, I'm hoping the movies and TV series will be a bit more closely interwoven. Not to the point that you have to watch the show to know what the heck is going on in the movie, but to the extent that watching the show will make the movie that much richer of an experience.

--Jonah

I would love too see a TV series about Luke, Han, Leia, etc.. that account s for time between the OT movies. Like you said, they are already busting out a lot of comics and books about them and that era so it may be an indicator of where Disney/LFL have no intentions of going. However they could still do a show in that era that focuses on other characters such as those that survive Rebels and/or new characters. If characters from Rogue One survive, a series about their continuing missions would be very cool. Although such a series would not center on the Luke, Leia, Han group, they could be supporting characters from time to time.

I think with the new trilogy still developing, you have to stay away from certain aspects. Although I would assume a story online exists, you do not have specifics to play off of or in danger of conflicting info. Beside, I think a series showing how things unfolded to the events of TFA would have to include Snoke and some of those other mysteries. But who knows, maybe they can play around those issues.

Very encouraging. At least it shows a willingness to keep doing animated projects.

However I do not think that great rating secures the longevity of a series these days.

Usually a series gets good ratings means advertisers will pay a lot of money for commercial time and that keeps a show going (assuming those involved with productions want to keep the show going). However I recently read an article about Young Justice on the cartoon network. Although it had great ratings and critically acclaimed, the creation of the show was based on a toy tie in. However the toy line failed and therefore the justification to continue the show disappeared.

Now, let me be clear. I am not saying Rebels continuation is tied in with merchandise sales. However it may be tied in with another business model/strategy created by Disney/LFL. I believe that Clone Wars (which was doing very well prior to cancellation) was a business move to shift story away from prequels and create a series that would advance their new movies. If Disney/LFL believes that Rebels has served its purpose, they may opt to end the show in favor for moving their resources to a new series that would be more beneficial to their business model/strategy.

Maybe at some point Disney/LFL will determine that there is merit in having multiple series ongoing at the same time or at least special projects like straight to video movies or even micro series such as how Marvel has Agent of Peggy Carter airing during the Agents of Shield mid season hiatus.

I would love too see a TV series about Luke, Han, Leia, etc.. that account s for time between the OT movies. Like you said, they are already busting out a lot of comics and books about them and that era so it may be an indicator of where Disney/LFL have no intentions of going. However they could still do a show in that era that focuses on other characters such as those that survive Rebels and/or new characters. If characters from Rogue One survive, a series about their continuing missions would be very cool. Although such a series would not center on the Luke, Leia, Han group, they could be supporting characters from time to time.

This. :)

I think with the new trilogy still developing, you have to stay away from certain aspects. Although I would assume a story online exists, you do not have specifics to play off of or in danger of conflicting info. Beside, I think a series showing how things unfolded to the events of TFA would have to include Snoke and some of those other mysteries. But who knows, maybe they can play around those issues.

Actually, we have zero to go on between when the hardliners fled into the Unknown Regions following the Battle of Jakku -- a year after Endor -- and less than a year prior to TFA (the novelization says Rey's only been hearing pilots talk about the First Order as a new player on the galactic stage for a few months). We don't know when Snoke got involved, and there's still 28+ years of intervening time that we can address without even going near the First Order and delving into them.

--Jonah

Actually, we have zero to go on between when the hardliners fled into the Unknown Regions following the Battle of Jakku -- a year after Endor -- and less than a year prior to TFA (the novelization says Rey's only been hearing pilots talk about the First Order as a new player on the galactic stage for a few months). We don't know when Snoke got involved, and there's still 28+ years of intervening time that we can address without even going near the First Order and delving into them.

--Jonah

The questions are: Is that a story worth telling that justifies a series? And does that story/series more important to pursue than something else?

True you could probably do stories about continuing threats go Imperial resistance as a the Republic struggles to rebuild. However it really does not seem that interesting, at least when compared to other options Disney/LFL could pursue at this point. Now I admit, they are way more creative than I so who knows. Maybe they can work up something cool. But that honestly seems more like novel fodder.

IMHO, the most interesting story (and the only story worth telling) between Episode 6 and 7 is events and stories that lead to the creation of the First Order, the Knights of Ren, and Snoke's involvement and the work and growth of the resistance to try to squelch it. And like I said, they really can't do that until it plays out in the movies.

Or just go off from the main story and cover a series about Han and Chewbacca during that era called "Dude, Where's my ship?" The series could cover the events fro the time they lost the Falcon till they found it. :p

I just realized how much I would love an animated series adapted from Brian Daley's Han Solo books, set roughly in the same period between ROTS and ANH...

--Jonah

You know, I have tried a few times to start those books but I just can't get through them. I did however read the A. C, Crispin Solo Trilogy (The Paradise Snare, The Hutt Gambit, and Rebel Dawn). I found them to be some of the rare highlights of the old EU. The trilogy spanned his life from that of a young child till his meeting with Luke and Ben. it even incorporated spots in the story which allowed the Brian Daley books to take place.

Ironically, I really did not like those books. This even in spite of the fact that I love Ann's Star Trek books and general skill as a writer. Meanwhile I've read Daley's three over and over again since I was a kid/ *shrug*

--Jonah

I enjoyed Daley's Han stuff, but I will admit, I read them when they originally came out--back when other than the movies, that was pretty much ALL we had for Star Wars. So I might be a little jaded. Haven't read them since then. Not really sure how they stand up today. Still got 'em on the bookshelf, tho.

I feel like they stand up. They're waaaaay out in the fringes, out past the reach of the Empire. Run-ins with regional authorities, fringe operators, insurrectionists, another YT-1300 (whose crew, Han notes, "looked disgustingly honest") whose registry Han "borrows" to escape a lockdown, cool aliens, sweet chases, early-model Z-95 Headhunters ("Did you guys knock over a museum?") that they fly into battle against far more late-model adversaries, secret prisons, ancient legendary treasures, slavers, and Han always having to think fast and talk faster to not get seriously dead.

I think I'm going to pull out Han Solo at Stars' End tonight... >_>

--Jonah

Finally got caught up with this series, had myself a mini marathon this afternoon.

Sabercopters aside, a thoroughly fun show.

Seeing how Kanan is now blind and Donnie Yen is blind in Rogue One, does that mean Finkle is Einhorn, sorry I mean Donnie is Kanan?

Its Star Wars so everything/everyone is connected somewhere.

Finally got caught up with this series, had myself a mini marathon this afternoon.

Sabercopters aside, a thoroughly fun show.

Seeing how Kanan is now blind and Donnie Yen is blind in Rogue One, does that mean Finkle is Einhorn, sorry I mean Donnie is Kanan?

Its Star Wars so everything/everyone is connected somewhere.

i never really thought of kanan being donnie... i wonder...

The thing that doesn't get me about the finale is...

Why would Yoda send them to Malacore?

As a lesson for Ezra? To show him the errors of the dark side while he's still young enough to realize the wrong and make the changes to the light?

Or as a final trial for Kanan, as his Jedi Knight Trial?

The thing that doesn't get me about the finale is...

Why would Yoda send them to Malacore?

As a lesson for Ezra? To show him the errors of the dark side while he's still young enough to realize the wrong and make the changes to the light?

Or as a final trial for Kanan, as his Jedi Knight Trial?

Perhaps he wanted to keep that holocron and the power of the base out of the empire's hands so he sent them after it.

Perhaps he wanted to keep that holocron and the power of the base out of the empire's hands so he sent them after it.

I could buy that....maybe the sith would have discovered it soon, and yoda, with all his time to ponder and roam the universe, found it first.....
and saw one possible future.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back