Star Wars movie set den build

For my next trick... Making black window blinds with "hyperspace" stars. I have never seen anyone else make something like this, so this project will require new artistic invention. We start with a pair of brand-new black blinds from blinds.com which I bought online with the discount code "beck". (Thanks Glenn Beck!) First, one blind is rolled out and taped down to a layout table.
attachment.php

Below are some paint color samples. This is dimensional paint, the kind you can paint on fabric and it won't crack when rolled. Hobby Lobby sells this stuff. I have several colors - bluish, silverish, sparkly. Stars are sparkly, right?
attachment.php

The stars come from the "side" of the blind and extend outward. I wanted all the lines to have the correct angle, so I made this wheel. The wheel is simply taped to the layout table next to the blind. This alignment wheel allows a long wooden straight edge to be laid across the circle from side-to-side, and then roll-stripe the paint across the blind next to it. Wipe excess paint off the straight edge after each stripe.
attachment.php

We look across one side of the blind. Well, the lines are straight. Here is where I realize I can't do the 2nd color till I let this color dry for 4 hours. If I drag my wooden straight edge across the wet paint, it would smear.
attachment.php

On the next update, more colors will be added.

WOW, looks like you have put alot of thought and effort into this, its coming along very nicely, cant wait to see it finished :thumbsup :D

I have a day off work. Woo-hoo! It's Star Wars construction all day! The 2nd paint color is ON and drying. I never thought I would EVER paint anything with Blueberry sparkles, but hey, it's a good match to some screen caps I have seen. It has light reflectance which is what this needs. Ignore the lower part of the photo with the sideways lines. That part of the roller shade will be unseen. I was testing how well the paints would roll-on.
attachment.php

Now I run off to do another part of the project. Gonna cut some shapes out of Sintra for my walls. You don't know what Sintra is? You will soon.

Here is what I will use as a design guide for all the walls.
attachment.php

I've got buckets of that delicious gray color, and I'm going to replicate those beautiful wall shapes in all their layers.

The shade is coming out great and the wall motif should work out really well.

That said, that's a strange screen cap. The Jedi is not one of the obvious actors and, additionally, appears to not be wearing pants.

I've gotta say, this is the most awesome room ever! I am now dreaming of applying these features to the "bonus room" above the garage (which is my "man cave"/kids game room). Ohhhh so jealous. (Where is the drooling emote??!?!)

Thanks for all the encouragement. There we go! :cool One side of the hyperspace window shade is painted and drying. I want to put it up right away. But no. Patience, I must have.
attachment.php

I'm going back out in the garage to cut some more shapes out of Sintra for the walls. That stuff gets stinky when drilled. Have to wear a respirator at all times when cutting that stuff. And use ventilation so the cutting fumes get drawn outside. There are other threads here about the dangers of working with PVC-type materials. Don't melt it. And don't breathe the dangerous fumes. It'll turn the insides of your lungs to jelly.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back