Star Wars Blu ray... we have to change our props !!!

Also, by Jedi - To address the point above - When SW / ESB did well, THEN they knew Jedi would be a hit - My friend from Jedi explained this to me when I asked why so many hand drawn storyboards from ESB are on the market, but none from Jedi - And he said that when ESB was being made, noone knew if it would be a success, and STAR WARS was just a film that did very well - But there was not the cult following it has now. So, production was lack about the stuff because it had no value - So "souvenirs" just vanished from production -

By Jedi, after ESB hit, they knew they had a valuable property, so they didnt hand around hand drawn boards that there was motivation (value wise0 to steal - So they just kept the originals and passed out photocopies -

Tyler, didnt ESB have an initial budget of near double ANH and ended up being near triple the budget of ANH? Ive always heard rumors that it was in the $30 million range when all was said and done.

I wont comment on Avatar as I thought it was **** and exactly whats wrong with movies today.

Star Wars was most definitely not low budget, but it wasn't lavish either. It was a "modest big-budget" film, if you can forgive the contradiction in terms.

AS Qui mentioned, compare it to JAWS:

Production budget for A New Hope equals $ 11 million U.S. dollars in the year 1977. Adjusted for inflation for today, it is roughly $ 45 million U.S. dollars now

With a modest film budget of about $12 million, Jaws was the highest grossing film up to that time (unbroken until the release of George Lucas' Star Wars (1977)), and earned its 27 year-old director a place in Hollywood. It grossed $438 million in eleven weeks, and was also the first film to top the $100 million record in box-office rentals (cruising past previous pace-setters Gone With the Wind (1939) and The Sound of Music (1965)).

Rob - Yes, ESB had a bigger budget and went OVER budget by a lot -

Even still though, while they were working on it noone knew if it would be a hit or not - I mean just watch any documentary about it and listen to them talk about how worried they were that an act with Luke and a Puppet wouldnt work :)

Obi said it well - Not low budget, but not lavish .. ESB was bigger, and had the R&D that they put into SW already accounted for

Ok guys, thanks for all your comments... !!:thumbsup

What else have you discover because of the Blu Ray high definition? :confused

When I watch the movies now, I am looking at the details, at the colors, at the lights, the walls...everything but enjoying the movies....

Am I becoming paranoid with the prop thing? :confused :confused :confused:unsure

Alfredo

Clutch!! That is a great thread... never seen it before !!

Thanks

(i guess that with blu ray it will be easier now...)

I just watched the esb scene where Yoda lifts xwing from the swamp, and it's pretty obvious that on his right arm is present some kind of darker stripe..at first I thought it might be light effect, but now I think it's darker color..

The Play's the thing.

I'll take Star Wars bubblewrap over digital plumber's crack.

Amen... We may have gone off topic... I think in many ways digital technology has forced, if not encouraged, many artists to simply abandon their true creativity. Yes, it does take a certain talent to understand and successfully create and pull off a 3D character or world and technology has come a long way (I know, I'm an graphic artist by trade)... I'll take a full size Millennium Falcon or Sand Barge over a 3D digital painting any day! :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back