Star Trek XI metal insignia badges

The actuall badge has the star straight on and the bottom legs of tghe star are shorter than the original 1966 design.
Yup:
insignia_comparison.jpg

I don't like the fact that the star is a bit skewed, but I actually like the longer "legs" on this version. But that's personal taste vs. screen accuracy, of course!

The sciences is a bit better:
insignia_comparison2.jpg

But the engineering logo is a bit high:
insignia_comparison3.jpg

Also, the basic shape is a bit off because the photos of the reps from eBay aren't completely flat and head-on.

(I believe the pics on the left of each comparison shot are the screen-used ones (or at least accurate to the screen-used ones)... but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Incidentally, that seller now also has uniforms up too. Sciences and engineering, men and women. No command for either, tho. Not much better than Rubie's it would seem, but at least it's a separate shirt and undershirt.

Ah! I just saw that! Uggh! Trekmovie.com says that, " According to QMx, the badges are 'exact screen-accurate, cast in solid metal and have two tie-tack pins.' "

Well, I guess I'll have these slightly larger versions from eBay too. I do like the idea of the magnets as opposed to the pins of the "official" ones, tho.

Well, it's been over two weeks and NOTHING! I contacted the seller and he said he was being deployed and would ship soon. Another week goes by, NOTHING. Now I'm starting to get pissed from all the "Great seller, quick shipping" feedback he's getting on page after page and I sit here with NOTHING! :angry

I emailed him today and told him to shove the badges! Keep his stinking $30.00 and just shove them! His horrible service and lack of communication makes me not even want them anymore!

Sorry if the seller is one of us, but I'm just VERY pissed off about the whole thing!

Especially now that I know for $10.00 more I could have gotten an accurate set AND the movie!

Last edited:
He is not a RPF member, or should i say them.

I can tell you that if you can get your money back and cancel
do so. The badge I ordered is very large, and I prefer the resin ones I
bought from you.

Hmmm... mine say that they were shipped on the 17th, but I haven't received anything either. And you're right, Mole Rat-- now that the completely accurate ones are to be released... uggh! But I guess these might still be cool for a display or something (just not screen-accurate costuming). Um, if they ever show up, that is. :unsure

The sellers offering the badges are now selling the uniform shirts. The quality does not look that far off from Rubies and you can really see how large thier badges are in the photos.
Still holding out for movie-grade versions, but if I want it in time for Halloween, I may have to settle for less.
Great news about the badges with the blu-ray. I don't own a blu-ray player (though my new computer has one) but I will be picking up both blu-ray (for the set) and DVD.

wow, I bought these from the people on eBay and had them in my mailbox in less than a week! They are ok, a bit large, but if nothing else comes around in time they are fine. Oh, they come with magnets to attach!

Well, mine finally arrived today, and I have to say that I'm less than satisfied.

Okay, I knew they weren't going to be screen-accurate or anything-- that's fine with me. But they're flimsy, scratched, and just plain ol' messy.
insignia1.jpg

First off, they're even bigger than the auction page states-- 3.25" instead of 3", making them just about the size of a TOS insignia patch:
insignia2.jpg

The insides (not the thicker borders) are so thin, that all around the cutout symbols, the metal is either sticking up or down. I had to bend the command and engineering ones just to make the thing sit flat. Despite being packed in plastic bags that were in turn inside fabric pouches which were in turn inside another plastic bag and a bubble-mailer, the faces of the insignia are very scratched up. My engineering one is particularly bad:
insignia4.jpg

The sciences one has a "dimple" on the bottom left:
insignia5.jpg

Overall, I'm just not happy. :unsure I wasn't expecting absolute perfection from these things, but they sure aren't nearly as neat and clean as pictured in the auction page. They're still serviceable-- I'm sure I can use them as part of a display or something where the flaws won't be seen as closely. But definitely not as advertised. IMHO, at $10 apiece, they're not worth it. $5 maybe-- just to have "alternate" versions of these badges. But particularly in their scratchy and "bent" state, definitely not worth the $10 ea. (Oh, and please forgive the crappy photos and mixing of light-- I was trying to best capture all the imperfections.)

Thanks for the detailed report. It's clearly made of aluminum, which is much cheaper than brass/copper. But it will have many imperfections and/or scratches. Maybe you can leave a feedback for them to warn other buyers, now that ebay had removed sellers abilities to leave negative feedback for buyer.

Got mine today as well. They look like the cut outs were punched! The areas around are bloated and warped. They may work as bases for display stands though...

Anyone know if the Blu-Ray set will be exclusive to certain stores? I'm planning on doing a Wal-Mart midnight run when these are released.

I was told it would only be available at Best Buy, and I have already pre-ordered it.
I don't want to take the chance it will sell out or be hard to find.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back