Star Trek TMP phaser prop

How do they get that prismatic, "engine-turned" effect down the side of the phaser?
I think you're refering to the holographic tape on the sides
DSC_2181.JPG

I completed a TMP Vacuform Stunt Phaser, over this past weekend. This is the version made up of two vacuform halves, glued together.

IMG_3585.jpeg
IMG_3583.jpeg

IMG_3591.jpeg

I used the recommend Tamiya TS-66 IJN Grey paint for the main body. I think it’s a great match for the color of the screen-used piece and has a pretty broad color presentation, under different lighting conditions…even close to Dove Gray under brighter light (see the photos below).

IMG_3596.jpeg
IMG_3597.jpeg

For reference, here’s an original TMP stunt from the Greg Jein Collection…even here, you can see the differences in color of the grey paint, under different lighting conditions:

IMG_3582.jpeg

IMG_3595.jpeg

Last edited:
I completed a TMP Vacuform Stunt Phaser, over this past weekend. This is the version made up of two vacuform halves, glued together.

I used the recommend Tamiya TS-66 IJN Grey paint for the main body. I think it’s a great match for the color of the screen-used piece and has a pretty broad color presentation, under different lighting conditions…even close to Dove Gray (see the last few photos posted).

View attachment 1798644View attachment 1798646
View attachment 1798650

View attachment 1798681
Vacuform original stunt from the Greg Jein Collection:

View attachment 1798670

View attachment 1798662

My build:

View attachment 1798664
View attachment 1798667
OMG this is incredible .
I love it !

I'm really surprised how the TS 66 looks good. I've tried once and it looked really dark in person.

OMG this is incredible .
I love it !

I'm really surprised how the TS 66 looks good. I've tried once and it looked really dark in person.

Thanks!

Yeah, the particular paint color is one of those strange grays that is really reactive to different lighting conditions.

The TMP Phaser and Tricorder are generally a darker cool gray under most lighting conditions seen in the film…

IMG_3602.jpeg
IMG_3605.jpeg
IMG_3608.jpeg

…as well as BTS photos (even in these photos, there is color shifting noted under different lighting conditions).

IMG_3615.jpeg
IMG_3614.jpeg

IMG_3619.png

IMG_3621.png

IMG_3620.png

Last edited:
Thanks!

Yeah, the particular paint color is one of those strange grays that is really reactive to different lighting conditions.

The TMP Phaser and Tricorder are generally a darker cool gray under most lighting conditions seen in the film…

View attachment 1798802View attachment 1798803View attachment 1798804

…as well as BTS photos (even in these photos, there is color shifting noted under different lighting conditions).

View attachment 1798821View attachment 1798822
View attachment 1798823

View attachment 1798824
View attachment 1798825
I remember the TS-66 looked way too dark to me when I gave it a try but it looked pretty different when I took pictures of the phaser I was building at the time.

Thx for all the pictures :)
May I ask wich base did you use for your vacformed TMP phaser ? It looks rather close to the HMS

I remember the TS-66 looked way too dark to me when I gave it a try but it looked pretty different when I took pictures of the phaser I was building at the time.

Thx for all the pictures :)
May I ask wich base did you use for your vacformed TMP phaser ? It looks rather close to the HMS

Regarding the origin of the shells, I have not a clue. They are roughly the same size as the HMS but there are differences indicating that they are not a pull from the HMS kit.

For archiving and discussion sake, here is my latest attempt to recreate the prop from scratch. I took inspiration from that version, with the Light blue line in the middle band and P1/P2 deep cut:
star trek2 phaser pistol prop.jpg

I used MTN whale grey spray can to paint the stuff. That grey looks lighter than the TS-66 but, compared to the pictures above from Captain Dunsel, it is not as cool and accurate as the TS-66.
The side ribs appear to be U channel instead of two thin strips on background models.
I think I'm gonna upgrade it with Tie clip and I channels on the sides, or maybe make a new one closer to the actually background model.

DSC_3783.JPG
DSC_3785.JPG

DSC_3787.JPG

For archiving and discussion sake, here is my latest attempt to recreate the prop from scratch. I took inspiration from that version, with the Light blue line in the middle band and P1/P2 deep cut:
View attachment 1799109

I used MTN whale grey spray can to paint the stuff. That grey looks lighter than the TS-66 but, compared to the pictures above from Captain Dunsel, it is not as cool and accurate as the TS-66.
The side ribs appear to be U channel instead of two thin strips on background models.
I think I'm gonna upgrade it with Tie clip and I channels on the sides, or maybe make a new one closer to the actually background model.

View attachment 1799110View attachment 1799111
View attachment 1799112

Nice!

I used Plastruct “U Channel” for the side ribs on my stunt build. But, the side rail details are pretty inconsistent across the original models that are out there, depending on the film and particular model.

This example definitely has the WOK painters tape applied for the side rail detail. It also appears that perhaps the holo trim tape was removed, post production, revealing the original blue/gray color of the phaser when it was a prop in TMP.

It’s a strange one with both WOK and TMP details.

IMG_3640.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice!

I used Plastruct “U Channel” for the side ribs on my stunt build. But, the side rail details are pretty inconsistent across the original models that are out there, depending on the film and particular model.

This example definitely has the WOK painters tape applied for the side rail detail. It also appears that perhaps the holo trim tape was removed, post production, revealing the original blue/gray color of the phaser when it was a prop in TMP.

View attachment 1799124
You definitely bring that thread to another level

View attachment 1799124
That's an interesting point. I've never seen any other models with such details.

Do you know if TWOK hero props were also refurbished TMP models ?
I know the one Shatner uses is a TMP hero but what about the other(s ?)

Do you know if TWOK hero props were also refurbished TMP models ?
I know the one Shatner uses is a TMP hero but what about the other(s ?)

Definitely were re-dresses of TMP props…the original TMP phasers were created by Brick Price’s shop and they did not come back for WOK.

Here are the original wooden vacuform bucks for the version with the separate Phaser One, from TMP, in Brick’s shop:

IMG_3642.jpeg

I gave another try to the TS66 IJN gray. Same overal feeling: that stuff looks way too dark compared to the prop pictures but it is really reactive to light conditions (as said earlier in the thread). Pretty fascinating how it looks different on pictures.
Here is a scratch made attempt to recreate a "stuntish" version
P1080766.JPG
P1080768.JPG

P1080770.JPG
P1080776.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back