SS Jawa Sand Crawler on Ebay....AGAIN!`

Okay the sandcrawler is exactly 1.6 yds long. This makes the big guy 4.8 feet in length. (source 365 days of SW) It was 20" tall (modelling a galaxy), and when you scale this on the centerfold photograph, it makes the model only 3.33' long. That's a pretty large discrepancy. If I absolutely had to choose one of those I'd say 3.33' as I saw the thing in person at C3.

The picture of Lorne and others photographed near the model makes it look just a hair longer than a yard stick to me. I think the reported 1.6 yards is more likely to be the Star Destroyer Devastator if that number is even correct for any model from ANH. I'd say they got their memories mixed up a bit on the 1.6 yds thing.

Anyhoo............I don't have room for a 3 foot model so I'll be more than happy with the RCooper one. It fits my space better. :)

Dave

no way its that long, it is possible to roughly work out its size since the wheels on the running gear are 1/16 scale tamiya sherman bogeys/wheels. each wheel is just over an inch if memory serves me right. dont have a sherman anymore so can be sure..........

z

From the Science Museum of Minnesota Star Wars exhibit:

DSC_2415.jpg

DSC_2416.jpg

DSC_2417.jpg

Seeing it in person, it definately looked about 3' long.

Chronicles says it's 3.6 ft. in length. Two sources with the same length now. Chronicles also gives the other dimensions as well.......I'll post those shortly. :)

Dave

Chronicles says it's 3.6 ft. in length. Two sources with the same length now. Chronicles also gives the other dimensions as well.......I'll post those shortly. :)

Dave

Dave, I can't find that figure. Is it in a section other than the Sandcrawer pages? On those pages, Chronicles gives 125cm, like I said before (that's 4'1"). Other dimensions are 56 x 66cm.

OTOH there really is no reason to trust Chronicles particularly. For a Japanese book, it's disappointingly inaccurate and badly researched.

Thanks for the excellent clear pics, Jeff.

Cheers,
Martyn

Last edited:
Blimey. I was willing to at least consider the possibility the guy was just intending to convey that it's a model of a pre-prod DESIGN, not an actual pre-prod model, but had used some careless phrasing. Now it sounds like he got conned when he bought this thing (ha, three K, good god, and it's only 12 inches long or so) - but he's not just trying to make his money back, he wants to quadruple it. That's totally outrageous.:eek

Good pic to portray the size of this one is SAG, there's a great pic of Lorne dusting her off, and id say just over 3 feet sounds good.

Problem i reckon with judging the size by the 1/16 Sherman bogies, is the fact there not original Tamiya bogies to my eye, they look more like a scratchbuilt (possibly shortened) chassis, utilising the Sherman running gear....but there are a lot more guys researching this beast that know way more!

lee

Lee, agreed. Better to use the large Saturn V, Phantom and Harrier parts on the back.

Cheers,
Martyn

Dave, I can't find that figure. Is it in a section other than the Sandcrawer pages? On those pages, Chronicles gives 125cm, like I said before (that's 4'1"). Other dimensions are 56 x 66cm.

OTOH there really is no reason to trust Chronicles particularly. For a Japanese book, it's disappointingly inaccurate and badly researched.

Thanks for the excellent clear pics, Jeff.

Cheers,
Martyn

in the star wars to indiana jones ( the lucasfilm archives) they give the same
dimensions 125 x 66 x 56

Michel

in the star wars to indiana jones ( the lucasfilm archives) they give the same
dimensions 125 x 66 x 56

Michel

Michel,

Unfortunately that's not independent confirmation. "Best of the LucasFilm Archives" is *also* a Japanese book - it's a reprint of "George Lucas Museum". I can't remember whether the same publisher was responsible for the original edition of Chronicles, but I think it probably was.

George Lucas Museum was the earlier book and the measurements which appear there are repeated throughout Chronicles, including quite a lot (perhaps all??) that are incorrect.

Cheers,
Martyn

Michel,

Unfortunately that's not independent confirmation. "Best of the LucasFilm Archives" is *also* a Japanese book - it's a reprint of "George Lucas Museum". I can't remember whether the same publisher was responsible for the original edition of Chronicles, but I think it probably was.

George Lucas Museum was the earlier book and the measurements which appear there are repeated throughout Chronicles, including quite a lot (perhaps all??) that are incorrect.

Cheers,
Martyn

thank for the informations ,I didn't know that it was a reprint !
there is another books of lucas archives other than star wars chronicle and sculpting a galaxy ?

Good pic to portray the size of this one is SAG, there's a great pic of Lorne dusting her off, and id say just over 3 feet sounds good.

Problem i reckon with judging the size by the 1/16 Sherman bogies, is the fact there not original Tamiya bogies to my eye, they look more like a scratchbuilt (possibly shortened) chassis, utilising the Sherman running gear....but there are a lot more guys researching this beast that know way more!

lee

The boggies and suspensions are the original Tamiya parts bro, but indeed the chassis is shortened (actually that's not the Tamiya chassis but a new one made from metal, shortened and less wide). But as mentioned, there are other ways/kits to scale it up better !

I think that sounds perfect MonsierTox...........3ft 5" or thereabouts on the length...............that's what I remember from CIII.

Dave :)

lee

lee,
i mean just the pairs of wheels attached to the bogies, not the whole tracked area. the sherman has pairs of them hanging of the lower sherman hull. i dont think the tamiys hulls are used, as you say possibly shortened versions maybe.

z

Last edited:
I found it today~!

I'm very surprised because Julien's measurement for Sandcrawler is nearly matched with my SC's dimension.
Actually, I have IDed most of parts in order to measure the real size.

- Front height incl. track : 520mm
- Rear height incl. track : 470mm
- Width : 360mm
- Length : 1100mm

Please let compare Julien's mention with the above measurement.:)

Julien,

You're a god of SS modeling(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

thanks Eric.

After some maths here the measurements I get :

Long : 103,7 cm

Width : 35 cm

Height : 51,9 cm

I hope it helps.

That's good stuff Eric , I'm in that process now of getting a few kits together so I can do the same thing on measurements. I want to get the measurements of it without the tracks . When I start my thread , I will post that up for everyone as well.

-James

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back