Spider-man faceshell thread

batfan10

Sr Member
Any advice for attaching fabric to face shells (around the eyes). I've been using fabric tape but when it comes to washing the suit I feel like it might cause some issued. I thought about magnets but am not 100% sure.

Figure I'd make a thread about general Spider-man faceshells tips, tricks, builds etc.

I was looking at purchasing a moving lense faceshell from Cavin Creations, especially after looking at how good the final product looks. A lot of the other moving lense face shells make the head look oversized, I think Cavin’s doesn’t but the price is killing me.

I permanently attached the fabric to my face shell via Super 77 or even a light tack spray if needing it to be removable. But sounds like you want it completely removable from the shell

I permanently attached the fabric to my face shell via Super 77 or even a light tack spray if needing it to be removable. But sounds like you want it completely removable from the shell
I 'm a little lost on how to wash the mask (or remove it) if it was glued down. Tack spray sound slike a good idea tho

Any advice for attaching fabric to face shells (around the eyes). I've been using fabric tape but when it comes to washing the suit I feel like it might cause some issued. I thought about magnets but am not 100% sure.

Figure I'd make a thread about general Spider-man faceshells tips, tricks, builds etc.
With my own suit/masks, I've always just used magnets in the lenses and then in the face-shell, sandwiching the fabric inbetween. Might not be perfectly aligned on the first try, but with a mirror or a friend that's easy to fix. If you get thin magnets for the faceshell and mask, you can probably also fit a third magnet in-between that's glued to the fabric as well.

As for this next idea, take this with a mighty grain of salt because it's not something that I see done very often (I think someone out there does something like it, but I can't remember who!) and its what I want to try next time i take a stab at spider-man:

Line up and clip the fabric to the mask. If you use magnetic lenses, get some extra magnets and pin down the fabric around the eyes where the lens magnets usually go. Stretch/push in the inside of the eye hole on the fabric (making small cuts if you have to so you can pull it around the edge of the entire face-shell hole) and secure the fabric onto the inside of the mask (tape or anything non permanent)

Saturate the rim of the eye hole with either liquid latex (a few layers) or silicone, and let that dry. This should create a sort of lip that can now pop into the eye holes of the mask.

Alternatively: Make a casting of the lense indents of your face shell with plaster, repeat above steps, coat all the fabric on in the indent area of the faceshell with liquid latex or silicone, and press the plaster castings into that indent. Secure with something so the pressure keeps up, and let dry.

I have not tried these before. Try at your own risk, test it with some extra fabric first.

this has just been me trying to figure out how the hell they got Andrews mask to be like this. It retains this indented shape without the faceshell, and the clips you see are for the lenses, not for keeping the fabric down.
gettyimages-169564220-1024x1024.jpeg

I've done this for my Raimi mask and I'll likely do it to the rest of my masks in the future. This was done with PrintCostume's red colored fabric so thicker fabric may not work as well.

I lined up my mask with the shell BEFORE I cut out the eye holes. Then I pressed the tip of a super glue bottle to the surface that the frames will sit on top of, and squeezed + rotated the bottle. The rotation prevents the mask from sticking to the bottle itself. The glue should saturate the fabric and should dry fairly quickly.

Once the entire base is glued down, THEN I would cut the eye hole out of the mask. This video was taken after I had fully installed to show a friend how I did it, hope this helps out.

obligatory finished product pic:

1645763724623.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back