Space Command Clipper Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve, looking great as always. Can't wait until you get into the mold making process. I learned so much watching you make the Daedalus molds.

This is awesome work and I'd be hard pressed to find any differences between these parts and ones that were milled or machined - the symmetry and finish appear to be that good.

Wonderful viewing, Steve...educational and entertaining, and it's hard to say which comes first! Can't beat that!
All this talk of the adventure and intrigue of exploring space got me to thinking of a time before it was today, when it was all exciting and fresh and new. As a kid I didn't start watching Star Trek simply because, say, Hogan's heroes was pre-empted by baseball: I was drawn to it..but by what? What came before that?
For me it was probably the only source available to a kid from an obscure little wooded town in Connecticut: our Sears family World Atlas (1961), which as it turns out I still have! I just had to share the relevant pages...just maybe someone else recalls these as I do!
View attachment 95935View attachment 95936View attachment 95937
If memory serves, this is where my journey began. To be honest, I miss it!

Looking good, and a nice speech at the beginning. It really is a shame that most folks don't care about what matters these days.

LMFAOSchwarz those images from your encyclopedia are iconic! Thanks for posting those! When I was a kid, I had posters of all the Mercury Astronauts hanging up in my bedroom! Those were amazing, cool times to live and grow in!

You're very welcome, fraley! Yes they were wonderful times. It seemed that someone else was thinking about "where we go from here", and it couldn't help but be an infectious curiosity! Watching and listening to Steve has made my mind drift back to those days...and personally, this salmons' curiosity and wonder wants to go back to the stream from which it spawned!

Steve, your videos always end too soon! :) And I really appreciated your speech at the beginning - you (sounding much like Neil Degrasse Tyson) not only understand the problem, but can articulate it well.

I too liked your speech...

But the issue might not be exploration... but instead *who* explores.

Government is the problem.... because it loses direction. New leaders have new agendas. Our president killed the shuttle replacement (Constellation), appointed NASAs first black administrator (because there was nobody else more qualified? yeah whatever), and then sent this new NASA administrator to the middle east on a Muslim outreach program "to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science..."
new NASA goal = Muslim outreach - Bolden - YouTube

Politicians are a scary bunch that have literally insane ideas about how things should be. *Insane*

But Bill Whittle has an answer to this... it won't be Space Command, but with the Commercial SpaceX Dragon reaching the ISS just yesterday, I think Bill may be right.

He usually is: THE FREE FRONTIER - YouTube

The question is... will commercial ventures have the same national appeal and serve the same level of inspiration that the early NASA missions did? Probably that's impossible to do... the space age can be new only once.

What will change, is that we will be going to space, but it will be on a Virgin flight, not a NASA one, that is now too busy with international politics than it is with hardware.

The only hope is to generate this feeling through compelling stories like Space Command... like Trek before it, and the pulps and earlier shows before that.

Just don't look to NASA... sadly.

Ryder

In addition I don't think the media gives enough attention to these things. Usually nothing more than a short blurb.

Government is the problem.... because it loses direction. New leaders have new agendas. Our president killed the shuttle replacement (Constellation), appointed NASAs first black administrator (because there was nobody else more qualified? yeah whatever), and then sent this new NASA administrator to the middle east on a Muslim outreach program "to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science..."
new NASA goal = Muslim outreach - Bolden - YouTube

I couldn't agree with you more. Proper leadership for the glory days of NASA is nowhere in sight. :unsure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlcNUq77_LM
NASA has been one big government jobs program since the seventies.
I've a heard a few aerospace experts state, NASA wouldn't be doing what they are doing if they were about exploring space. Von Braun really had the passion for space travel, and the ability to sell the idea.

But the classic for me, was on some documentary I saw years ago.
It was a rather large woman astronomer talking about how great robot exploration was. Sorry lady, exporation isn't about robots. It's about going out there ourselves, as they say a thousand books on travel isn't worth one real trip.
What kind of trip can you take just looking at monitors.

...Von Braun really had the passion for space travel, and the ability to sell the idea...
I read somewhere that Von Braun went to congress after the Apollo program with a detailed plan for a manned mission to Mars, to be done by 1980. No one was interested :unsure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back