Space: 1999 Hero Eagle miniature half-scale replica

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Presenting: the 1:48 scale Eagle from the futuristic 70's TV show "Space: 1999"! Built for me by SDStudios from the Round 2 styrene kit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/karltate/albums/72157671642429436/with/28634949951/

28607062652_cb2442a126_h.jpg

Much time was spent removing seam lines and fixing other defects in the kit. The complex and subtle weathering was also time-consuming, but the reward is a beautiful half-scale representation of the show's hero 44-inch Eagle miniatures.

The show's three hero Eagle miniatures were repainted several times during the show's two seasons, and they rarely look the same from shot to shot. These specific markings and gray panels covering the Eagle were designed by me after weeks of research, and printed as dry transfer sheets (so that Steve would not go crazy placing them all!).

Powerful magnets hold the passenger module in place. Landing gear supports are machined brass, and the outboard fuel pods are filled with resin for added weight. Real glass windows (microscope slides) are used in the upper Command Module.

Mike Reader's aluminum sensor dishes were used in the Command Module. The many rocket engine bells are turned aluminum, from Round 2's accessory kits.

The landing pad base visible in some shots is a 25 x 12" graphic designed by me from study of rectified screen grabs of the show. Steve had it professionally printed on heavy photo paper with a matte coating for durability, and it's attached to a custom-cut plastic sheet to form the model's base.

- Karl

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back