so... bondo?

I've posted this a few times before but here it is again.

For fill and or a rough out coat I use this, I get it for $19 a gal. Sands about 10X better than Bondo brand and has a longer work time before full cure.

Evercoat

I normally use EverGold for finishing but it is $55 a gal. A less expensive option would be the Quantum which comes in a 1/2 gal so cheaper by quite a bit not 100% sure on an exact price never bought any but it was far cheaper than the Gold.

Evercoat

Thanks for the info on the items. I'll have to try them out sometime. Do you use any filler primer on your projects, or just normal primer?

Bondo is made by 3M but only recently (in the last 5 years). Evercoat makes a far Superior product. I use a surform on bigger projects. When the filler is in that rubbery plastic stage I use the surform to take off the big high spots. Followed by an electric or air sander and then finally by hand. For smaller projects I just hand sand.

Indeed ^^. "Bondo" is a name brand, but people usually use it as the general term for body filler. "Bondo" is not a garbage brand. It is made by 3M, and they make quality products. You should just look for an auto body filler at your local hardware or auto shop. You can electric sand or file off the bigger chunks (if they happen) but I find hand sanding to be the best. It allows you to feel better. If you have any straight or flat parts, try using a piece of wood or a popsicle stick for smaller more detailed areas. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Bondo is garbage and I wouldn't use it for this type of project. Evercoat Lightweight Filler starts at $17 a gallon and you'll save a lot more sandpaper by using this.

Use a "RASPING" tool and then hand sand it. Stay away from an orbital sander if you wanted to get better at this.

If it's the awesome stuff you all say it is, I'd give it a try, but Advance sells it for over $60 a gallon, nearly 3x as much as regular bondo sells for! Ouch! I don't mind paying a little more for quality stuff, but 3x? I guess if it'll save me that much in time and effort to sand it, maybe it'd be worth more... but geeze, can you at least recommend somewhere I can get a couple of gallons of the stuff for cheaper than $130?

One big advantage of using high quality filler is how the product is "self-leveling". And it is also made with a lot more finer talc so it doesn't create pinholes, and doesn't clog up your sandpaper and that's already a huge advantage. Don't forget the time that you'll be saving. It's very cost effective so I swear by it, and if you look up my helmet build thread you'll know I wasn't just blowing smoke about it.

Last edited:
I've had an Evercoat link and I could never remember why I saved it. Now I know! :lol

The only Bondo I ever use it the spot glaze. I only use it on scale models though. It works great for that.

Can you shape Evercoat like you can Bono, or is it simply a filler?
tumblr_m86ng2g0Vc1qb47sco1_250.gif

Doing all my sanding by hand with a block. I've been using Bondo Glass on my entire Iron Man helmet build without a problem. If you're having problems sanding, use a more aggressive grit, period. Sure, there are better, premium fillers like Evercoat if you like paying triple the cost, but it's your final coat & sanding that matters anyways. A $4 tube of glaze before your final sanding takes care of whatever pinholes or scratches are left behind and is thinner and smoother than filler. Even further down the line, primer (or filler primer) is going to sand out very smooth as well. Bottom line, yes there are better fillers than Bondo, but for this type of project, I'll stick with it. We're not doing bodywork on a Ferrari...we're doing Pepakura.

Wish I had heard of Evercoat when I made my wife's Samus helmet years ago - the Bondo simply would not sand smooth in some areas, so we went with the 'battle damage' story. Now that I know so much more I want to make her a 'good' one, though =0)

If I can add something, I am an industrial mold maker. I build forms out of wood then bondo and fiberglass them for concrete production. Evercoat is the best, but I mostly use bondo and Icing. The big thing that helps me use and work with bondo and fiber glass is the the sanding disks I use. I use automotive DA sanding disks. I prefer Abernet or Autonet. They are mesh and do not dull as fast as regular sand paper. I stock 9 different grits, from 80-1,000. they are about $25 a box and you get 5o per box. Either way you look at it, you will be spending $ on the body filer (Bondo) or the sanding disks. I also prefer air tools, you have more control with them with a variable speed at you hand. I hope this helps.

I also wanted to add, try all products, some might work for you better than others work for others. I use 3 different mold rubber companies sometimes. I use Smooth-On products, Silicone Inc and Ploytek for casting things. Try it all

why use a toxic polyester bondo when there is so much nice in epoxy ?

i use epoxy filler , no smell , no need for respirator , easier to sand , and better results ....

why use a toxic polyester bondo when there is so much nice in epoxy ?

i use epoxy filler , no smell , no need for respirator , easier to sand , and better results ....

Do you got any brandname and prices here in Europe?

I've used an Epoxy-Resin for my pepakura and fiberglass work, tricky to mix (must be carefully mixed by weight-ratio, in small portions hard to scale out).

Cure time between 30min and 1h, really nontacky after 24h.

The polyester-filler is cheap, easy to mix, and can be sanded down after 20min.

But i agree, it is toxic, so i always work outside with it (and now the winter is coming...)

Hi ! in scandinavia we have this Biltema , cheap and wery good quality . here is the link :

Epoksysparkel - Biltema

you can translate it to English

i think the international name is West system epoxy spackel ore something

That is what I have found:

spachtel epoxy | eBay

Not really cheap, double in price than polyester-filler an 6-8 h to wait before sanding.... Instead of 30min

So bondo is the faster an cheaper way to go, but even the toxic one.

But if you work outside with respirator it will be no problem, you also need the respirator for the paint job

Sorry to dredge up a nearly month old thread, but I needed to throw in my $0.02.
Bondo is not garbage in my opinion. Regular Bondo is indeed hard to work with, but you have to consider its merits and applications. To make a general form or fill a large space it works extremely well, especially at its price.
Something that is always overlooked is that people only try out the red, regular bondo. If you have taken a look at the Bondo "Ultimate" stuff, its worth the buy at about 15 bucks more per gallon and definitely comparable because the particle is much more fine compared to regular Bondo, like Evercoat pretty much
Bondo Ultimate Filler, 1024, 1 Gallon (US) Can (Net Wt 6 lb 4 oz)-Shop 3M
I can easily sand through a quarter to half inch of the stuff in 5 minutes on 100 grit

I also think Bondo is fine. If you're finding it hard to sand or smooth out completely...I'm sorry, you're doing it wrong. As long as thin coats are administered with the proper amount of hardener, you'll be fine.

But then again, I've never tried evercoat and this is my opinion. For me, it's cheap, easy to get, and I've never worked with anything else.

Different folks, different strokes.

I'm actually leaning towards giving evercoat a try. I'm going I see if anyone carries it by me and I might pickup some for my next project

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back