Snake Eyes: GI Joe Origins

I was under the impression this was an actual reboot, not trying to fit into canon with the other two films. Either way, I didn't see the second one. The damn battle suits from the first were so dumb I just couldn't anymore.

I was under the impression this was an actual reboot, not trying to fit into canon with the other two films. Either way, I didn't see the second one. The damn battle suits from the first were so dumb I just couldn't anymore.
The second one is....marginally better? They lose the battle suits and kill basically the entire cast of the first film in the first few minutes. But it's still pretty dumb.

It's better in that it's less generic and they root it a bit more in the lore of the comics that Hama created.

The first film was a classic example of "We did all this just so we could stick the brand name in the title." If you did nothing more than change the names of the characters and retitle the film "American Commandos" you'd lose nothing.

I think the second movie came a tad closer to looking like GI JOE, but it was still a ways off. I want a movie that looks like a kid just set his toys out to play with as a kid. No more realistic crap!
Agreed. The second film was CLOSER to the comic and cartoon series GI Joe.... which, when you think about it, is the best it is going to get. I mean, both comic and cartoon were just cheesy goodness.

SPOILER ALERT:
If you saw the GI JOE animated direct to video movie in the late 1980s, you know that Duke's death scene was turned into a "he's in a coma" scene. Well, in the second live action film, Duke does NOT end up "in a coma".

I feel bad for Larry Hama.

Why? Whatever goes on with these movies, his work remains as it always was. He's even in the film and has been helping with promoting this movie. Obviously he's getting paid to do it, but it doesn't seem like he would if he didn't want to. He's going to be just fine. No reason to feel bad for him at all.

Why? Whatever goes on with these movies, his work remains as it always was. He's even in the film and has been helping with promoting this movie. Obviously he's getting paid to do it, but it doesn't seem like he would if he didn't want to. He's going to be just fine. No reason to feel bad for him at all.

Seeing even an adaptation of your creation reduced to pablum must sting, whether outwardly expressing it or not. He may be on board for the paycheck, but I think it's because he has no say regardless so he might as well get something out of it.

New trailer out! It seems he is raised American and will be seen as an outsider but SS vouches for him. Action looks cool, I hope they stick the landing in setting up the JOE world, i dont want this to fail and have a 4th redo of the team forming together. To me it looks like pure dumb entertainment, i dont mind if Snake doesnt resemble that 1 photo from that 1 comic book issue. Plotwise, i'm not sure if it'll be a great story unless Snake and Storm have heavily strong chemistry the same way Erik and Charles did in X-Men First Class. I need this new outfit, helmet looks B.A.

Ninjas were assassins. I think they're confusing ninjas with samurai, but hey, it's the movies. :lol: I didn't know the difference when I was a kid playing with my figures either but the line about ninjas saving the world made me laugh. Unless it's meant to be a certain point of view thing, where to the person saying it implied ninjas did save the world by assassinating who they felt was a danger to others.

Sorry but this just looks like Batman Begins set in the G.I. Joe world. The guy Snake Eyes (Bruce Wayne) saves will end up being Storm Shadow (Raz Al- Ghul) and Snake Eyes will "betray" the Arashikage Clan/ COBRA (League of Shadows) by not killing who they deem to be guilty. Thus Snake Eyes will get all of his gear and iconic look from his enemies but use their weapons against The League of Shadows, I mean COBRA. Meanwhile Storm Shadow (Raz) will not be able to kill Snake Eyes (Batman) because he owes him a life debt for sparing him at the beginning of the movie, but they will forever be locked in mortal combat because their ideologies about freedom are diametrically opposed.

Ninjas were assassins. I think they're confusing ninjas with samurai, but hey, it's the movies. :lol: I didn't know the difference when I was a kid playing with my figures either but the line about ninjas saving the world made me laugh. Unless it's meant to be a certain point of view thing, where to the person saying it implied ninjas did save the world by assassinating who they felt was a danger to others.

I took that as spin on what the Arashikage clan does rather than the reality...

I'm just making an assumptions based on what the trailer is showing us. Plus it's not that far fetched to assume that Hollywood would copy a similar plot from a bankable movie to help tell a new story just set in their own franchise. That's not to say that these are bad ideas, because they worked well for Batman Begins, but I don't think it will help the studio reboot their franchise yet again by wholesale rehashing another movie. I could very well be wrong about the whole thing, but if I were a betting man, I'd likely end up on top with this.

Released from Hasbro for the toy line. Lightened it to see the detail. Looks cool overall but, thats a lottttt of texture
IMG_20210623_173614.jpg

Saw it last night. Definitely better than the last 2 movies, which isn't really saying much. Overall I liked it and if they end up continuing the franchise I feel like that wouldn't be a bad thing. The actors playing Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow were the best thing about the movie and I'd definitely like to see more of them.

I haven't seen it, but a friend did and said that a lot of the fight scenes were close up because, presumably, they hired actors who weren't martial artists. That's exactly why Ray Park worked in the other two as Snake Eyes.

I haven't seen it, but a friend did and said that a lot of the fight scenes were close up because, presumably, they hired actors who weren't martial artists. That's exactly why Ray Park worked in the other two as Snake Eyes.
Saw it tonight and the fight scenes were definitely shot mostly close up with a bit of shaky cam to make it hard to see what was going on. But all in all, it was a decent movie, not great, but I didn't feel ripped off.

There were some bits that kind of took me out of it, mostly having to do with watching a lot of people like Skallgrim, Shadiversity, and Scholagadiatoria on you there a few little nitpicky sword things, Nothing really big or affects the plot, but noticeable if you're into swords. One thing was the way the katanas were portrayed in the movie, let's just say they really play to the "Glorious Nippon Steel" and the near mythical capabilities of katanas meme. The others were the constant "sching" noise they made every time they were drawn, even though traditional Japanese katana scabbards are made of wood and don't make that "sching" noise when drawn. Then there were a couple of scenes when swords were being drawn from the back far too easily, strongly suggesting that either they cheated the scabbards or the swords had shortened blades that they extended with CG in post. Nothing that really affects the plot and I'll freely admit to being nitpicky, but I couldn't help to notice these things.

All in all, not too bad of an origin story, although I wonder if it's really meant to be the first in a series of movies that do a soft reboot of the franchise. There were some characters and elements of the classic JOE in this movie which is why I'm thinking that this is going to soft reboot the franchise by giving us sequels set before the first GI JOE movie takes place.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back